Old 14 June 2011, 10:48   #1

Length: 7m +
Warning - Thefts from Homes

While looking through the stolen boat website at all types of craft one thing is becoming obvious, many sportsboats including ribs and hard boats are being stolen from people's homes. Some being stolen from places like the New Forest or other area's which you would not just come across a boat in a driveway and pinch it on spur of the moment. So the conclusion is that these thefts maybe specifically targeted thefts.

The warning would be keep an eye out when you recover your boat from whichever slipway you are using is there anyone paying too much attention to your recover methods, is there anyone appearing to be following you home !

Additionally be careful of any information you give out on forums which may indicate where abouts you live or your boat is stored and any pictures posted which may indicate where you live.

It might be worthwhile the admin of this site also issuing a warning, looking at some of the details associated with users details marina's in many cases.

The number of thefts from people's homes is increasing.

This post is meant to help and not alarm anyone.

Boris
Old 14 June 2011, 16:31   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Below is a slightly edited copy of a post I made a few years ago (original is HERE):-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I've been thinking about this for a bit as I don't want someone to take my boat either and I got thinking. What would I do if I wanted to steal a boat and what would put me off it? Think as though you're a thief and you'll get most of the answers.

So, let's go and steal a boat.

1) First I've got to find one.

2) The first thing I'd do is case the area-maybe days in advance. I'd look for a way out with the boat in tow. If there's too many obstacles,it's in plain view of the owner or security or the 4x4 won't get there I won't bother with it.What I want is an easy in,easy out situation with something I can sell. What I don't want is to spend ages there,attract attention or not be able to sell what I'm planning to steal.

3) I'd turn up in a stolen 4x4 or one with false plates. CCTV is useless unless someone's monitoring it live. All I need to keep my face hidden is a balaclava. If I'm seen by anyone on site I'll have to leave rather fast anyway.

4) If feasable I'll hide the 4x4 close by and walk to the boat with the tools to remove the security. I'd get it ready to couple up and run-as long as I could get there without being seen. I want to be able to run easily if detected too-I'd rather leave empty handed and not get caught.

5) With a few simple tools that are easily available and some easy techniques I can get around any security on the trailer with minimum noise and fuss-and within a minute(I've already cased the OBVIOUS security and brought the right tools and equipment). If I bugger up the boat or trailer it's not mine anyway...

6) I'll walk up to the boat and give it a good hard shake to see if an alarm goes off.If it does I leave. If not, I'll get the 4x4 opening any accesses/gates etc in advance. I then couple up and run. I'll do all this as quietly as possible.

7) Once I'm off the premises with the boat in tow and round a couple of corners I've got away with it.

Right. What's going to put me off or stop me?

1)I can't steal what I can't see. Don't leave it in plain view of lots of passers by or an access road if possible.

2)Make access difficult. Access that can't be made without a tractor will put most thieves right off.Barking dogs would be a good put-off but we don't all have that luxury. Locked gates are good-even farm gates. It all takes time to open up and if it's too much hassle a thief will move elsewhere.CCTV on access will help at this point-just not if you want to catch them...

3)PIR lights will alert someone to the presence of the tow vehicle. As long as the site LOOKS like there's someone there that might see them then a PIR light will scare off a thief.

4)If possible put your boat somewhere where anyone stealing it will have to pass somewhere with an inhabitant.

5)Apart from the security you need for your insurance, make any other security either too hard to disable or very hard to see. If you're using a padlock use one like this:-

Or one like these:-

The enclosed clasp is a bastard to get to with boltcutters and the padlock is usually the weak link in the chain-so shift the attention elsewhere.
Use stainless chain if possible. It's harder to get through with easily portable 'tools' that don't make a hell of a noise than ANY hardened security chain (if you know how then hardened security chain is embarrassingly easy to remove) and it takes significantly longer to get through it with an oxy-acetylene porta-pak.
A ground anchor with chain to the centre of the trailer axle will be all but invisible. It won't do your trailer much good but better that the whole lot isn't nicked. Another 'hassle' factor for the thief-once he's hitched up he wants to leave. If you're lucky it'll rip his towbar off...

6) An alarm that 'chirps' to let people know it's armed along with a tight fitted cover would scare me off. It'd be a lot of hassle to remove or slash a tight cover,get aboard a boat,boltcrop any padlocks on hatches,find the battery and disconnect it without setting the alarm off.It's not like it's in a public carpark where people will ignore an alarm-it's in storage or at your home. One with it's own backup battery would be even better. Obstructions to hitching up would put me off too-for example if I had to turn the boat through 90 degrees or manoevre it around a bit by hand to hitch up.

7)A GPS tracker would be good here.Then you can go and visit the thieves

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2011, 22:17   #3

Quote:
Below is a slightly edited copy of a post I made a few years ago (original is HERE):-
Wow you got a devious mind LOL, good thinking
Old 14 June 2011, 22:45   #4
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Thanks, I think

Since I wrote that post, Google Street view has appeared. Make sure your boat isn't on it.
If there's a local anti-theft initiative,like Boatwatch join it.

One other thing. If you're chaining your trailer to something, keep the chain slack but off the ground. It's very very difficult to cut a slack chain with a grinder or an oxy torch. If the chain is large and somewhere it's impossible to get proper access with crops, so much the better.

There is a few other simple things that'll really put a thief off being there-but I don't really want to say any of it in a public forum as anyone can read it. PMs are welcome

Old 15 June 2011, 01:09   #5

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Landmines are good

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2011, 11:25   #6

what about something like a infra red sensor connected to a security light and alarm, the sensor to cover the drive way, once set anyone who approached over the threshold would set the alarm off. Would need to position to person height to avoid foxes etc tripping it. Or maybe just a simple CCTV camera pointing at the boat would be enouth to deter them.
Old 15 June 2011, 18:18   #7

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Thanks, I think

One other thing. If you're chaining your trailer to something, keep the chain slack but off the ground. It's very very difficult to cut a slack chain with a grinder or an oxy torch. If the chain is large and somewhere it's impossible to get proper access with crops, so much the better.

There is a few other simple things that'll really put a thief off being there-but I don't really want to say any of it in a public forum as anyone can read it. PMs are welcome
I plug my Chain in the mains

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 September 2011, 11:56   #8

Town: south Yorkshire
Boat name: Trasee
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235099743
stolen from home

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
While looking through the stolen boat website at all types of craft one thing is becoming obvious, many sportsboats including ribs and hard boats are being stolen from people's homes. Some being stolen from places like the New Forest or other area's which you would not just come across a boat in a driveway and pinch it on spur of the moment. So the conclusion is that these thefts maybe specifically targeted thefts.

The warning would be keep an eye out when you recover your boat from whichever slipway you are using is there anyone paying too much attention to your recover methods, is there anyone appearing to be following you home !

Additionally be careful of any information you give out on forums which may indicate where abouts you live or your boat is stored and any pictures posted which may indicate where you live.

It might be worthwhile the admin of this site also issuing a warning, looking at some of the details associated with users details marina's in many cases.

The number of thefts from people's homes is increasing.

This post is meant to help and not alarm anyone.

Boris
Just 1 item to add to this thread,i have taken off the wheels on my trailer & when not in use for a few months have also taken off the hubs so no 1 can just slot some wheels on & pull it away easily. it seems a bit long winded but it helps me sleep better knowing that theives may just pass on by.
Old 25 September 2011, 15:11   #9

Make: Avon R280 Tender
Length: under 3m
Engine: Me Rowing!
I wondered about the security of all the RIBs moored up in various harbours. There must be 20 -30 very expensive RIBs moored for the summer where I go I am amazed they are not just motored to a nearby slip in a neighbouring harbour and simply driven away or even be brave and use the slip in their own harbour - what are the chances of someone recognising the boat when it's early morning/evening! I expect most trailers could be adapted to temporarily fit if they were big enough?

The theives are on top of most security gadgets it can't be hard to get an engine going Selling it on could be more tricky.........
Old 25 September 2011, 15:21   #10

Town: south Yorkshire
Boat name: Trasee
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki 90
MMSI: 235099743
Yep valid point scarry innit.i work in the motor trade & compared to boat security its like being in the 70s
Old 28 September 2011, 19:34   #11
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr650 View Post
Just 1 item to add to this thread,i have taken off the wheels on my trailer & when not in use for a few months have also taken off the hubs so no 1 can just slot some wheels on & pull it away easily. it seems a bit long winded but it helps me sleep better knowing that theives may just pass on by.
Watch yourself doing that-if you've got no wheelclamp fitted, will your insurance pay out?

I know it sounds crazy, but if it's a stipulation, you never know what they'll say.

Old 28 September 2011, 19:55   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Watch yourself doing that-if you've got no wheelclamp fitted, will your insurance pay out?

I know it sounds crazy, but if it's a stipulation, you never know what they'll say.
You can always fit the clamp to the wheel even if its not attached any more! I've never understood how the insurance would know if it wasn't clamped?
Old 28 September 2011, 20:01   #13

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagato
I wondered about the security of all the RIBs moored up in various harbours. There must be 20 -30 very expensive RIBs moored for the summer where I go I am amazed they are not just motored to a nearby slip in a neighbouring harbour and simply driven away or even be brave and use the slip in their own harbour - what are the chances of someone recognising the boat when it's early morning/evening! I expect most trailers could be adapted to temporarily fit if they were big enough?

The theives are on top of most security gadgets it can't be hard to get an engine going Selling it on could be more tricky.........
New Yams are engine immobilisers fitted but it does not stop them being towed away! Very scary. Imagine a 20k car being able to be nicked by just rolling it down the road, it would never happen!

Peter ~ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 28 September 2011, 20:22   #14
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
You can always fit the clamp to the wheel even if its not attached any more! I've never understood how the insurance would know if it wasn't clamped?
Pass, but I've heard of caravanners being asked for the remains of the clamp.

Old 29 September 2011, 04:27   #15

Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2
I've often wondered how I'd prove the clamp was fitted - or should it be how the insurance company would prove it wasn't?

On a couple of paranoid occasions after recent local thefts I've photo'd the fitted clamp. Not that that would probably count for much
Old 29 September 2011, 15:30   #16

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Maybe a stupid question but...

How are these thieves using/registering/reselling these boats and trailers in the UK? Are they driving them to other countries to sell?

Over here all motor boats (with a few exceptions for tiny low powered boats on inland lakes) are required to be licensed in their state of primary use. Same with the trailer. Engines are rarely titled seperately but a few states do that too. Without the title = proof of ownership, a theif can't really sell the boat very easily. Hence most of our thefts are either untitled motors, small auxilaries being particularly susceptible or if the whole boat limited to joy riding kinda of things.

So sure we lock them, but I don't know anyone who's had a whole boat stolen out of their driveway.
Old 29 September 2011, 15:36   #17
RIBnet admin team

Jack,

In fact most of the "organised" boat/outboard theft is apparently going to Eastern Europe or beyond. It may be no coincidence that thefts are more commonly reported relatively close to container terminals simplifying their passage out the country.

However, you may be astonished to hear that there is no registration scheme for boats, engines or trailers in the UK. You can voluntarily register a boat (normally only if taking it overseas) but there is no requirement and it is not proof of ownership. There is no way to prove you 'own' a boat/trailer/engine unless you have an original invoice with a serial number on it - of course that could be faked etc anyway, and usually get lost.
Old 29 September 2011, 15:57   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Jack,

In fact most of the "organised" boat/outboard theft is apparently going to Eastern Europe or beyond. It may be no coincidence that thefts are more commonly reported relatively close to container terminals simplifying their passage out the country.

However, you may be astonished to hear that there is no registration scheme for boats, engines or trailers in the UK. You can voluntarily register a boat (normally only if taking it overseas) but there is no requirement and it is not proof of ownership. There is no way to prove you 'own' a boat/trailer/engine unless you have an original invoice with a serial number on it - of course that could be faked etc anyway, and usually get lost.
Thanks. I figured this was the case since I don't think I have ever seen registration numbers on any of the UK pictures posted here. Its sad that such a high value and mobile item has no paper trail of ownership. My RIB is pretty small and still cost almost as much as my car!
Old 29 September 2011, 16:08   #19
RIBnet admin team

Jack,

In one sense I think many UK boaters would agree with you, but on the otherhand many people see boating as one of the few areas of British life largely free from regulation / authority / paperwork. Any introduction of registration for boats would inevitably incur a cost which the boating public would perceive as a tax (and indeed might include a "profit" element and so actually be a tax). The RYA and others who represent the boating public also generally oppose registration since it could be the thin end of the wedge towards compulsory qualification of skippers.

With so many boats already out there is also makes it hard for anyone to introduce e.g. a new voluntary scheme.

In reality boat thefts are pretty rare (especially considering how easy it is). I don't know the stats - but I'd guess more cars get nicked (as a percentage of the total) and they DO have a registration system!
Old 29 September 2011, 16:28   #20

We've had compulsory titling and registration of boats for many decades, although "documented" yachts have slightly different rules/requirements.

Only just recently have states been implementing required operator's training. Its REALLY basic stuff, at the level of a driver's license. It never expires or needs to be renewed. That's has been a contentious topic depending on where you live. I am a licensed commercial mariner already so I'm exempt. But at least in Washington State you can self-study and take a test online for $10. Or do the equivalent of your RYA course. So its not a huge burden. Its been phased in over the past ~5yrs starting with 15-20 year olds then 20-25yos etc.