Old 21 July 2021, 15:32   #1

Town: Milford Haven
Boat name: Le Bear
Make: Moody
Length: 10m +
Engine: inboard diesel 50hp
Aluminium hulls

I am considering a Highfield SP650 which has an aluminium hull. Any thoughts on this from you experienced guys? This will be my first proper rib, not counting small tenders. Are there other brands/manufacturers that I should consider before going for a Chinese import? They say the PVC material for the tubes is reliable and robust. Is this true or would you pay the extra for hypalon?
Many thanks,
Bobio
Old 21 July 2021, 15:38   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobio View Post
I am considering a Highfield SP650 which has an aluminium hull. Any thoughts on this from you experienced guys? This will be my first proper rib, not counting small tenders. Are there other brands/manufacturers that I should consider before going for a Chinese import? They say the PVC material for the tubes is reliable and robust. Is this true or would you pay the extra for hypalon?

Many thanks,

Bobio
My thoughts are stick with fibreglass & hypalon & avoid Chinese. Its a well proven formula
Old 21 July 2021, 15:57   #3

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
I'm running a 6m Highfield Patrol and all is good so far. The ride is comfy and all looks and feels robust. They sell enough of them on the continent to give confidence that all is good. There are also plenty of build videos on the internet showing the design and factory.

If you look across the internet there are enough Hypalon V PCV discussions and arguments to make Brussels look like a coffee shop - and personally its a bit like the AA and RAC. Both are great and both are useless depending on your view of it. I've had both types of tube over teh years and so far I'm happy with the PVC, but I do keep my rib indoors - thsi si a really good article on the two https://safequip.co.uk/wp-content/up...nformation.pdf

My previous rib was an X-pro Defender, a Chinese import by all accounts. I'd have another, and it's well documented on here why.

Others will tell you that if its made in china you'll die the first time you take it out, others will show you evidence of British made ribs that are so thin they fail on the first buoy they catch.

Have a search on Chinese made ribs on both here and the facebook forums, they aren't as bad as they were if you stick with the known ones.

I was out alongside a 650 sport the other week, they look very well laid out, especially the fridge!!

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 July 2021, 19:12   #4

Length: 3m +
The advantage of the Ali hull is it's a lighter boat. So can take a smaller engine.

Some will say the disadvantage is it's harder to repair while others will say if you need to repair an Ali hull, you'd have a big fibre glass repair to do anyway...

Tubes - my understanding is the decision is about UV exposure. If you can store under cover you may not have any concerns
Old 21 July 2021, 21:07   #5

Thanks for the useful advice Andy. They did not tell me about the fridge but it is obviously an essential item to keep the beers cold in this weather!
Old 21 July 2021, 21:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
The advantage of the Ali hull is it's a lighter boat. So can take a smaller engine.

Some will say the disadvantage is it's harder to repair while others will say if you need to repair an Ali hull, you'd have a big fibre glass repair to do anyway...

Tubes - my understanding is the decision is about UV exposure. If you can store under cover you may not have any concerns
Thanks for the comments, pretty well what I thought. Like the idea of Aluminium hull and I can probably live with PVC, with a storage cover.
Regards,
Bobio
Old 21 July 2021, 21:24   #7

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
In general I have no issues with aluminium as a hull material, assuming the correct grade of material is used, there's good framing to support the plates, it's properly welded, etc. We've had an offshore sailing yacht made entirely of aluminium for 17 years now with no issues, and a 100% aluminium hard dinghy as our little harbour runabout which we equally love.
Old 22 July 2021, 06:52   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrown22 View Post
In general I have no issues with aluminium as a hull material, assuming the correct grade of material is used, there's good framing to support the plates, it's properly welded, etc. We've had an offshore sailing yacht made entirely of aluminium for 17 years now with no issues, and a 100% aluminium hard dinghy as our little harbour runabout which we equally love.
Paul, thanks for the reply. So, aluminium is good if it is engineered properly. Supply is the issue now, everyone is sold out!
Regards
Bobio
Old 22 July 2021, 08:56   #9

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobio View Post
Paul, thanks for the reply. So, aluminium is good if it is engineered properly. Supply is the issue now, everyone is sold out!
Regards
Bobio
Have a chat with Rupert at Rob Perry Marine, if there's one to be had - he'll know where it is.

https://www.robperrymarine.co.uk/

Highfield are happy to show you their practices and factory -

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2021, 21:29   #10

Town: seattle,wa
Boat name: Hurricane
Make: Zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude
My tube repair guy says hypalon
Old 05 August 2021, 22:01   #11

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
We use a well known aluminium brand of rescues vessel over here in Aus which had a great reputation until they started cutting costs and using Chinese aluminium in the builds. Two locally used $250,000 rescue boats are suffering extremely bad corrosion in less than two years, to the point one has been taken off the water. I would be very wary on Chinese materials.