Old 05 August 2021, 10:48   #61

Town: London
Boat name: Blaster
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Basically, trailer wheels have common PCDs, and it's very easy to see a trailer with no wheels and come back with a pair to fit, which is so much easier than removing a clamp.
Not sure that cutting the clamp with grinder takes the same time as to jack up the trailer and fit a new pair of wheels. Our car park is gated and CCTV covered so snapping the gate's padlock and cutting my clamp would be easier than starting all the set up with wheels replacement.

Last time I had to cut a hardened U bolt off my fence it was done in under 30 seconds with corded 125mm grinder. I understand that a determined thief will get anything but bringing a pair of wheels is no more for an chav opportunist.
Old 05 August 2021, 12:35   #62

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
I suppose I'm just suggesting that anyone doing the same thing checks with their insurance company.

My boat is covered with a clamped wheel on the trailer, but is not covered if I take the wheels off.

It would be covered if I took 3 wheels off and left one on with a clamp on it.
Old 05 August 2021, 12:39   #63

Town: London
Boat name: Blaster
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF150
Quote:

I would just remove the axle, that's it. Hard to imagine someone dragging an axle behind as a part of "RIB steal kit".
Old 05 August 2021, 12:56   #64

Town: Chichester
Make: Elling KB350
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 6/9.8
Quote:
I suppose I'm just suggesting that anyone doing the same thing checks with their insurance company.

My boat is covered with a clamped wheel on the trailer, but is not covered if I take the wheels off.

I think at the end of the day it's a bit like locking your bike up - you can only really deter the opportunist, and hope that someone else's bike/boat looks like the easier option!
I know as a serial victim of bike thefts in London (before I moved out), that the advent of compact, powerful, battery operated angle grinders was really the end of meaningful theft prevention, with mild deterrence the only option!
Old 06 August 2021, 08:59   #65

Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattster View Post
My thoughts exactly. It may deter an opportunistic theft, but if they've seen the boat and want it then putting a pair of wheels on is trivial and, as you say, far easier than trying to remove a wheel clamp. If the boat is stored with others somewhere, then they can probably source the required wheels on site!
Yup. You'll never stop a dedicated thief and they can easily borrow wheels from the boatyard that has sent them out for stock anyway.

The reason we used to take a wheel off our dinghy trailer at the park where it was kept was simply to steer another club member into using someone else's trailer and not ours, as was sadly the habit among some.

For security on the driveway, cctv is of not use unless it is to trigger what is of use which is lights and noise. These cheapy CCTV cameras that connect to an Alexa app and can be easily programmed to have motion detection trigger a series of events are really useful.

Thieves don't worry one iota about CCTV. The only thing they worry about is someone appearing with a cricket bat.

Our home backs onto fields and once a year when the gypsies arrive in the locality for a fair, the locals who have spent the year scouting everything that's not bolted down will tend to go on the rob as it'll all get blamed on the visitors. I use CCTV to first trigger a large lamp on the house aimed at where they are. It's more intimidating to have the light emanating from where the man with the bat will be coming from. A short while later an upstairs light comes on, followed by one downstairs one to give the illusion of someone moving down through the house. The final element is for a buzzer to then go off behind them that in theory adds a further element of surprise but also means they cannot hear if a door is being opened at the house, nor see properly if someone is coming. And typically by that time I've woken up, had a look at them on the phone and made the wholly unrelated decision to go for a drive to the cricket nets for some much needed practice.

It seems elaboriate but none of the bits cost much at all and were easy to link together and program.

I have pondered whether to add a crow scarer to the end of the sequence just for amusement.

My opinion re security is that thieves are unstoppable. They will always exist and always be working but that they are just normal humans so will always prefer the easier options to earn. Therefore it's about making your property more of a hassle than the neighbours'. If you're lucky you have neighbours who store nicer things than you on their drive. And using modern tech to light up their work place and to make a bit of noise.

The key is get the trigger sensitivities right.