Town: west mids /tywyn
Boat name: HAWK
Make: RIBCRAFT/ Suzuki 250
Length: 7m +
Engine: Tohatsu 3.8/15hpsuzi
MMSI: 235086594
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.mccrirrick View Post
Now there's a photo to treasure 😀 I reckon tony has just pipped you for who wins the whitest legs mick, but it could be the contrast with your shirt tony😀

Sent from my iPad using my finger

Not often I'm boating without my Black Shadow

Sent from my iPhone using RIB Net
B.S. LEADER
tony t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2015, 19:31   #22

Boat name: Still deciding
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu M40C
I have sit in and SOT kayaks. I use the SOT's when solo as self rescue is so easy. One problem I have noticed is that there are some SOT's that are actually quite tippy but perform very well.

Some large stores I know that sell them in amongst all the others, are happy to sell to any unsuspecting person.

I know of a few chaps who fancied some summer fun...

They went into Decathalon and bought their yellow (Tribord) touring SOT. Now I have been on it and its not the best choice for a complete novice as it does need a bit of balance and a certain way to get back on in anything but flat calm.

Anyway...these chaps asked the staff instore for advice on them and were told, yep, they were great for learning on...

They headed onto Upper Lough Erne and spent the whole day swimming!

I myself have an rtm SOT that is very quick and cuts through chop like a hot knife through butter but you wouldn't want to fish off it!

Then again, I have a 'quality' inflatable kayak (not a beach toy) that is great for sheltered family play. The kids can sit on the sides, jump into the water, play about, crab fish off it, load it up with a tents etc ... even play in small surf. It will bounce of sharp stuff without a scratch. But if a tight swell builds, its a scary thing unless you really focus on keeping waves away from the sides.
Old 22 June 2015, 23:52   #23

Town: Hereford
Length: 4m +
I met a bloke in Pembrokshire a few years ago who had a blow-up sit on top kayak

I imagine he thought that he looked the dog's danglies when he pumped up his new toy on Whitesands beach and went for a paddle in his trendy sunglasses.

The sunglasses were the only safety kit he took with him. No buoyancy aid etc just a pair of shorts and sunglasses.

I met him because a member of the public on the coastal path phoned the coastguard when the thing half deflated at the same time he rounded St. David's Head and he was off to Ireland on a 7 knot tide....

He wasn't happy when I found him, he reckoned he was ok and wanted to be left alone. I persuaded him to get on my "yellow inflatable" (camel rib) and met the lifeboat on it's way out.

Here's the link, he was still protesting that he'd been kidnapped on the high seas. 8th August 2007

When I found him his boat was pointing up bow and stern, he was sort of wallowing in the middle looking very trendy in his sunglasses.

Somewhere I've got a BCU 4* certificate for sea kayaking
Old 23 June 2015, 06:40   #24

Length: 7m +
The chaps platic kayak did seem more like a toy, ive seen proper sea going kayaks and they look the business. I guess its like someone else suggested many stores will sell you whatever you want and due to such vareity of kayaks about if your not experienced you could buy something which isnt ideal. Perhaps they should have some sort of rating in terms of stability and use.
Old 23 June 2015, 06:47   #25

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Length: 5m +
Engine: outboard
Also agree sit on kayaks are easy to get back on, we use ours to ride in the surf among other things. Plenty of YouTube videos with people out in 2m swell, there are however some people who just shouldn't be allowed on the water!!
Jon
Old 23 June 2015, 08:46   #26

Town: I.O.W.
Make: Avon Searider
Engine: Yamaha F60
There are sit on top kayaks and then there are sit on tops. This is the latest one that I bought, 14ft long complete with rudder...

With regard to inflatables although there are a lot of cheap ones out there, there are some good ones too. More suitable for playing in surf rather than trying to make any headway into a 6 knt tide. My inflatable cost more than some SIBs I've seen on here. Ideal for throwing into the back of the RIB though.
Old 24 June 2015, 21:23   #27

Town: Simi Valley, California
Boat name: Inspearation
Make: Nautica
Engine: Outboard
I spearfished for years off a sit on top kayak. They're the only way to go if you're a spearo/kayaker. They're plenty stable assuming you aren't using a cheapo model. You have to be in reasonable shape but the greatest danger comes from the winds blowing you out to sea.