Old 28 June 2006, 02:25   #21

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
What a sad story . He must have been a tough guy .

On a point of self rescue and an idea if you are a poor swimmer . Carry a pair of flippers with your grab bag .

I used to kayak a bit with a guy who was diver he knew he wasn't great at rolling etc but liked to paddle offshore alone . He always carried pair of flippers strapped on deck . His reasoning was that with Fins on you could activly swim a good few miles to the shore even pushing something that floats .

Sounds daft but in reality I thought it was a great Idea .
Couldn't agree more - gives you a hell of an advantage!!!
Old 28 June 2006, 08:09   #22

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Years ago I was out diving in the Maldives & the weather kicked up really bad, on the way back to our island the waves where just rolling straight through the local style boat we where on!
The wife thought I was mad as I would not let her take off her wetsuit & I kept hold of our mask, snorkel & fins. I kept an island in sight at all times knowing that with the kit we had we could always swim to shore, something I do not think we could have done without the kit!
Old 28 June 2006, 11:32   #23

Town: Bridlington, E Yorks
Boat name: Stormchild
Make: Ribquest 5.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki DF115TUL
MMSI: 235030489
What an awful turn of events. My thoughts are with the families.

I'm kitted out with about all the safety gear I can think of - except an EPIRB / personal mini EPIRB. If the crew had one, they wouldnt (shouldnt) have been in the water for more than about 30 minutes - at what price safety?

Sobering when most of your time on the boat is spent with young kids.
Old 28 June 2006, 11:47   #24

If they had a handheld VHF or flares or even a mobile phone in a 5p waterproof bag they would have only been in the water for 30mins!!!

I always try to remember to put my mobile in a ziplock freezer bag - you can get small ones and if you leave a bit of air in as well the phone will also float. As most people carry a mobile in their pocket anyway it is a very simple trick that could easily save your life!!!
Old 28 June 2006, 15:51   #25

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian parkes
What a sad story . He must have been a tough guy .

On a point of self rescue and an idea if you are a poor swimmer . Carry a pair of flippers with your grab bag .

I used to kayak a bit with a guy who was diver he knew he wasn't great at rolling etc but liked to paddle offshore alone . He always carried pair of flippers strapped on deck . His reasoning was that with Fins on you could activly swim a good few miles to the shore even pushing something that floats .

Sounds daft but in reality I thought it was a great Idea .
Good idea digging some old flippers out now to put on board. Swimming is easy with flippers.
Old 28 June 2006, 17:44   #26

By a horrible coincidence I have just been down to check on my boat and saw a trawler being lifted onto a low loader. I thought it was just being delivered or collected but it turns out it was the boat in question.

Looked in very good condition - would never have thought it had been under water. Did look rather top heavy - big goal post at the back. Having said that it would have been fine until water got on board.

I DID take some piccies but thought better of posting them - just sent a chill down my spine seeing it.

There were quite a few people there from the MAIB - looks like the boat is being taken away for thorough examination.
Old 28 June 2006, 21:52   #27
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
I always try to remember to put my mobile in a ziplock freezer bag - you can get small ones and if you leave a bit of air in as well the phone will also float.

Mine goes in a tesco food clip-lid waterproof food container along with emergency cash and coins-it's tough, floats and won't open unless you want it open.

I've got a 2nd larger one onboard with spare key,kill lanyard,emergency patches, floating knife and a cheap toolset in it with spare plugs.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote