Old 08 April 2019, 22:43   #1

Town: Mystic
Make: Saturn
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Upgrading to a RIB

Hi everyone,
I have been boating for a few years now, US east coast, CT and RI. I have a Saturn 14' X Long inflatable (https://www.saturnboats.com/inflatab...ghytender.html), with high pressure air floor. I use it almost exclusively in the ocean so waves have always been an issue. I don't take it out in rough conditions but even on calm days there is always some chop. I have been considering upgrading to a small RIB, specifically one of these: F-RIB | Revolutionary new Foldable RIBs (F-RIBs). I have never been in a RIB so I am trying to find out there will be much of a difference between the two. My boat has an inflatable V keel and the folding RIB has a similar size V keel but it is solid. What do you think?
Old 08 April 2019, 23:56   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Welcome to the forum!
The Gurnard on here has one and rates it highly although reporting under certain conditions can be less comfortable than an inflatable floor. I guess this would be because they are fairly flat bottomed. However they plane very easily and will go faster than a similar sized SIB so you can often take advantage of having a smaller sized engine. If you do a rib.net search you will find lots of info.
Old 09 April 2019, 07:35   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
The Gurnard has a YouTube channel where you can while away the time seeing his adventures on the small Frib and his bigger Sib. https://youtu.be/syIoS-qvq7I

Do you need the folding capability?
Old 09 April 2019, 08:29   #4

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
ive just been away for a few days with gurnard he was using his 2.75 f-rib with a 6 hp yam i must say although the conditions weren't rough that little boat really impressed me it plains very well with a good turn of speed no idea what the bigger boats are like i know his brother has a larger boat. OMO i dont think you get any better ride out of the shallow hulled rib than your current boat or indeed an ali floor the same as mine. ive had big ribs and small i wouldn't swap my current boat for a rib of similar size on purely a ride aspect others may differ,
Old 09 April 2019, 10:17   #5

I have read and watched the Gurnard's channel, which is one of the main reasons I was considering upgrading. I do require the folding aspect, that has been one of the best advantages of an inflatable along with launching wheels. I have a 15HP outboard currently that I would use on the new boat. Speed is a non issue in excellent conditions, I get about 20+ mph when the water is flat, I actually took it all the way to Block Island on a really good day last year. I just wanted to see if maybe the RIB would cut waves a little better and not bounce as much so maybe would go faster in chop.
Old 09 April 2019, 10:46   #6

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Hi smallboater

As the others have mentioned..I have two main boats and use them most days of the week as Im retired and thats how I spend my time now...at sea

They are two very different boats and used for different purposes and I find both ideal for me but also find that just one would not fill all my needs ..which is why I have two.

The 4.3M heavy wooden floor SIB is a very seaworthy boat.. it does not flex, bounce or cavitate the way an air floor will especially if its not pressurised or trimmed correctly. I use this boat for open sea crossings up to 10 miles in distance.. rounding the remote islands off Scotland ..on my multi day adventure which cover 200 miles at sea etc. It is an ideal expedition boat as it can be beached anywhere ..on rocks or sand. It is a heavy brute..weighting almost 200kg with my modifications and that is before loading it with 100ltrs of fuel. It planes at 20 mph (not knots) with the 25HP outboard and it does NOT slam the same way many hardhulls do simple because the fabric bottom absorbs a lot of the shock from hitting wave. Hardhulls tend to transfer the shock direct to your body unless they are decent deep V hulls..which many small lightweight RIBs do not have. Granted it will never win any races if speed is your thing ..and it steers like a soggy mattress..but I dont do slalom courses either ..so its ideal for me. I could not use the F Rib for those types of journeys

I find the F Rib excellent because it folds up and fits in my car..I can easily carry it on my back and a 6HP gives me a top speed of 15mph ..however more often than not I go at displacement speeds as it would rattle my teeth out if I didn’t.. I use it for following coast lines only a few meters off the rocks and for day trips only. It does not need a trailer but my heavy SIB does. The F Ribs are very fast but I find them limiting because of the slamming especially in our sealoch with short sharp wave. At sea with more rounded waves they are a bit better on the body. Here is a video of the F Ribs in a sea chop..my 4.3M boat handles the rough sea better than they do but even a 3.2Honwave airfloor manages fine.

For info only ..This boat which is almost a RIB looks lovely ..it has poly tubes though ..an A frame and a 50HP outboard..its the worst boat I have ever been in.

Its my late uncle’s and its rotting away in a garden because the flattish hull causes so much back pain in anything but flat calm. Even my uncle was most disappointed in it once he tried it at sea. My heavy SIB can keep on the plane long after this one has to drop to displacement speed. I could have that boat as I helped look after him before he passed on but I dont want it. That does not mean its a useless boat..its quite popular for fish farm use. Im mentioning this only so you research your upgrade..dont think all small hard hull boats are better than SIBS because some are not.

If I wanted a small RIB..which I dont..I would get as second hand Avon Searider ..or if that was not possible a new Excel Virago 420. Its an ali hull with a deep V..I have a friend with one and it is a good boat IMO.

Note This is all only my opinion which is based on my personal use.. and not on weekend use but long term use. Hope it helps some
Old 09 April 2019, 11:01   #7

Thank you Gurnard! Exactly the information I wanted. Please keep up the youtube videos they are excellent!
Old 09 April 2019, 11:29   #8

Thank you for your kind words Smallboater. Later today I will be uploading what I consider to be one of my best days videoing in a small boat yet

Surprisingly for me.. its in a fresh water loch too ..and I find a seamless brass bell which is 1000 years old. It still has a perfect tone. I don't think there are many objects left on this earth that are 1000 years old and still work they way they were intended. I will post a link on the forum to the video when its made.. then its back to sea for me tomorrow ..more island hopping off the west of Scotland ..so keep an eye on my u tube channel..there will hopefully be lots happening on it this year

Good luck with your choice.. a good deep V RIB is the bees knees for sea performance
Old 09 April 2019, 11:59   #9

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
hope you dont mind me putting this up donny its a great little boat as you use it and well worth considering especially for solo launch.

https://youtu.be/aBzxtNqBdRc
Old 09 April 2019, 12:30   #10

Hey nice to see another view point Jeff.. and that's me zipping along Loch Sunart last week..it was a great day.

Yup..I do love my F Rib to bits and would not swap it for any other 2.75 meter boat. If decent RIBS are thought of as the 4 wheel drives of the sea .. heavy SIBS are the motorcycles ...and the F Ribs are the scooters.

I was a MOD back in them days and can still hear Rodger Daltrey singing

""Im Free ..and freedom tastes of reality" as I zip around on my F Rib.. but in the chop going round Skye .. It was Steppenwolf's "Born to be wild" that was running round my brain in the Quicksilver 4.3 ..if all that makes sense

If I was in a decent RIB I would be singing "Busted flat in Baton Rouge ..heading for Nawlins" lol

Tags
rib, sib, upgrade