Old 16 May 2014, 12:56   #1

Length: 3m +
Tube repairs question

Hi folks.

Forun newb here with a Flatacraft F4 and a Narwhal SIB.

I have been keeping an eye on tube repair topics which are very helpful, and wondering if anyone can provide some direct experience of the likely problem afflicting my little dinghy (Yes I know this should be in the SIB forum, but there seems to be more action/expertise here!). It's a Narwhal made of hyperlon (actually called Hypertext I think) and the fabric is really sound, but it's developed several leaks behind the rubber 'rubbing strake' just where the vertical tube seams disappear behind the strake.

This strikes me as a bit odd, as it's where I'd have thought the seam was most protected.

Slightly worryingly, all the stuck on extra bits - rowlocks, rope eyes, handles, are giving way/peeling too - sort of giving the impression all the glue's giving up at once!

Specific questions are...

1) Anyone know why this area might be a weak point on a Narwhal SIB?
2) Would you expect me to be able to peel off the strake, patch under, and then reapply the strake?
3) Where's a good place to get decent glue in the quantities required? (Near Chichester.)

Any thoughts much appreciated!
Old 16 May 2014, 13:34   #2

Town: Chorley, Lancs
Length: no boat
This happens to Narwhals, once seams start to fail you will have problems getting it airtight again without taking seams apart, cleaning the old glue off and resticking.
It is likely that the leak isn't exactly where you are seeing, but air is tracking down behind the strake and escaping at the vertical seam.

Hypertexl is not hypalon it could be either PVC or PU so make sure you buy the correct two part adhesive.
Old 16 May 2014, 13:56   #3

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-R View Post
Hi folks.

Forun newb here with a Flatacraft F4 and a Narwhal SIB.

I have been keeping an eye on tube repair topics which are very helpful, and wondering if anyone can provide some direct experience of the likely problem afflicting my little dinghy (Yes I know this should be in the SIB forum, but there seems to be more action/expertise here!). It's a Narwhal made of hyperlon (actually called Hypertext I think) and the fabric is really sound, but it's developed several leaks behind the rubber 'rubbing strake' just where the vertical tube seams disappear behind the strake.

This strikes me as a bit odd, as it's where I'd have thought the seam was most protected.

Slightly worryingly, all the stuck on extra bits - rowlocks, rope eyes, handles, are giving way/peeling too - sort of giving the impression all the glue's giving up at once!

Specific questions are...

1) Anyone know why this area might be a weak point on a Narwhal SIB?
2) Would you expect me to be able to peel off the strake, patch under, and then reapply the strake?
3) Where's a good place to get decent glue in the quantities required? (Near Chichester.)

Any thoughts much appreciated!

As it is a SIB you could try an internal latex sealer.

Basically, pour it in through the valves, pump up the boat and then roll it around so the liquid is forced into the leak. It dry’s and seals the leak from the inside. I have used it in the past and it was fine for 2 years until I sold the boat. Never as good as a professional repair but will get you back on the water at little cost and effort.

You can get it from Rib Shop in Swanick or possible from any good chandlers.

Good Luck

Andy
Old 16 May 2014, 14:43   #4

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Glue life on any sib seems to be between 10 and 15 years. Once it starts to go in one place the rest will follow quickly.The floor will be the next to fall out or the transom will fall off.

Its an easy, but time consuming repair. All of the old glue needs to be cleaned off and everything restuck with 2 part adhesive. Cost isnt huge, probably around £50 in glue but its the time that will make it uneconomic to take to a proffesional. With the leaks along the strake as well I would suggest its come to the end of its life.
Old 16 May 2014, 15:00   #5

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
Glue life on any sib seems to be between 10 and 15 years. Once it starts to go in one place the rest will follow quickly.The floor will be the next to fall out or the transom will fall off.

Its an easy, but time consuming repair. All of the old glue needs to be cleaned off and everything restuck with 2 part adhesive. Cost isnt huge, probably around £50 in glue but its the time that will make it uneconomic to take to a proffesional. With the leaks along the strake as well I would suggest its come to the end of its life.
A friend of a friend had a Narwhal RIB for a few years, then one season it just started leaking at the seams.
He used to phone me to come and fix it for him but a week or so after we had fixed one bit another seam would start to go.
The only way I could get the problem to stop was to change mobile numbers ....
(I actually gave him Dave Cowell's number instead)
Old 16 May 2014, 15:04   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcreate View Post
The only way I could get the problem to stop was to change mobile numbers ....
(I actually gave him Dave Cowell's number instead)
Perfect!

jky
Old 16 May 2014, 17:43   #7

Thanks folks. Looks like I have a sticky weekend ahead.

I suppose the old glue will be a nightmare to get off..?