Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 23 November 2005, 06:20   #71
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
Perhaps if I decanted some into small bottles and put a picture of a RIB on the front and multiplied the price by a factor of ten you'd be interested?
If you say so - I dont care if its marketed as "Marine" - I simply care its designed for the purpose i want to use it for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
tried and tested solution
Just how tried and tested is this stuff - how many of you have the equipment to be able to tell us whether this stuff has any UV blocking qualities at all - and have age stressing machines that will tell us whether any long term damage is being done to the hypalon. Im suprised how "vehemently" you recomend a product that you have no scientfic evidence is not going to eat away at our boats.
__________________

roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2005, 07:16   #72
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
If you say so - I dont care if its marketed as "Marine" - I simply care its designed for the purpose i want to use it for.
Just how tried and tested is this stuff - do you have the equipment to be able to tell us whether this stuff has any UV blocking qualities at all - and have age stressing machines that will tell us whether any long term damage is being done to the hypalon. Im suprised how "vehemently" you recomend a product that you have no scientfic evidence is not going to eat away at our boats.

JW.





























__________________

__________________
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2005, 07:24   #73
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Just how tried and tested is this stuff - do you have the equipment to be able to tell us whether this stuff has any UV blocking qualities at all - and have age stressing machines that will tell us whether any long term damage is being done to the hypalon. Im suprised how "vehemently" you recomend a product that you have no scientfic evidence is not going to eat away at our boats.
Fair point - but it comes word of mouth recommended from a vast array of people from many different walks of life - and it does say amongst other things it is safe to use on hypalon and is marketed as a UV protector (i assume that there are some kind of trading standards in place that would not allow them to put that on the bottle if it has not at least undergone testing)

I tell you what - if you can get the floor polish manufacturers to state on there packaging that it has UV protection qualities and is safe for use on hypalon then ill try it hen my rib is more than 10 years old and am less bothered about destroying the tubes.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2005, 07:30   #74
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Wind yer neck in, Roycruse. It was a wee jest.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2005, 07:34   #75
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker
Wind yer neck in, Roycruse. It was a wee jest.
Neck was never wound out - Jest or no Jest - you had a fair point - I have no proof that 303 have performed any scientific testing on their products - I just hope that their is sufficient legislation in place amongst the myriad of laws we have to obey these days to stop wild accusations of suitability of a product from a manufacturer.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2005, 07:43   #76
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
OK. I'm off for a wee walk, I'm getting too haughty.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2005, 07:56   #77
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by roycruse
- I just hope that their is sufficient legislation in place amongst the myriad of laws we have to obey these days to stop wild accusations of suitability of a product from a manufacturer.
Watch the telly adverts and see how many "products" there are that "guarantee" to make your skin look longer..age reduction... wrinkle removal......how do they get away with that? it's all feckin' Snake Oil....
__________________
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2005, 08:00   #78
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Newquay, Cornwall.
Boat name: None :(
Make: None :(
Length: 5m +
Engine: None :(
MMSI: None :(
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,280
Maybe you could start something here...

Whos going to volunteer their wife as a testbed for floor polish as an anti aging cream.
roycruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2005, 08:43   #79
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
Watch the telly adverts and see how many "products" there are that "guarantee" to make your skin look longer..age reduction... wrinkle removal......how do they get away with that? it's all feckin' Snake Oil....

Couldn't agree more.

Companies take a dirt cheap stock chemical - or blend of chemicals - put them in fancy packaging and make a fortune - they say there is one born every minute.

Like the people who buy branded painkillers like Panadol or Nurofen or similar - 2 a pack when the unbranded supermarket equivelant costs 16p!!!
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2005, 13:44   #80
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Vectis Isle
Boat name: REEF
Length: 6m +
MMSI: 235064495
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 353
Its not a mater of objecting to your tried and tested solution John

Moor lets back it up with some scientific data & look at the facts

I am also aware what sort of flooring it is used on having spent 30 years
in the building industry

Also is it not odd that not one of the Tube manufactures has joined the
debate ?
Probably because thay are thinking of all the work thay will be receving
soon
__________________

__________________
SOLENTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.