Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 17 May 2013, 17:52   #261
Member
 
HUMBER P4VWL's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post

Somebody on here or the other thread came up with showing pictures of people struck by props at local Marinas and slipways which I think would be a good idea. Sometimes we need a shock to help stop us from becoming complacent.

Also maybe insurance companies could remind us on our policies documents that the cover would be void if it was found that the accidents was directly caused by not using the KC.
Not being funny Steve but that would give such a get out for them. As others have pointed out there are many boat users who can't practically wear KCs. Fisherman on crab boats for example. Giving insurance firms a get out would be a nightmare. Education and awareness is key in my book.
__________________

__________________
HUMBER P4VWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2013, 18:22   #262
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerny View Post
Somebody on here or the other thread came up with showing pictures of people struck by props at local Marinas and slipways which I think would be a good idea. Sometimes we need a shock to help stop us from becoming complacent.
The widespread use of visual shock unfortunately doesn't stop idiots from smoking ... "it won't happen to me"
__________________

__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2013, 18:30   #263
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,556
Anybody know if the vicrims have nee laid to rest yet?
__________________
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2013, 19:43   #264
Member
 
kerny's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 60
MMSI: 235087492
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,040
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMBER P4VWL View Post
Not being funny Steve but that would give such a get out for them. As others have pointed out there are many boat users who can't practically wear KCs. Fisherman on crab boats for example. Giving insurance firms a get out would be a nightmare. Education and awareness is key in my book.
Paul I know what you are saying mate but commercial trawlers out at sea and powerboat users are different argument altogether an insurance company would crawl out of a claim by someone not wearing a KC, just the same as a drunk drivers insurance is void through drink driving. Sharks in water them there insurance companies just like solicitors.
__________________
Member of S.A.B.S. (Lancashire Division)
kerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2013, 20:28   #265
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
The widespread use of visual shock unfortunately doesn't stop idiots from smoking ... "it won't happen to me"
Actually in some cases it does: WHO | The impact of pictures on the effectiveness of tobacco warnings
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2013, 02:19   #266
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Spare Rib
Make: Zodiac/Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.moody View Post
So the recommendation from MAIB is the kill cord should be worn whenever the engine is in gear, and preferably also when it's running in neutral. I fully agree with that statement.

Let's try and make something positive out of this awful accident, and all of us follow MAIB's recommendation.
I don't. Bad idea to kill the engine if at sea and swapping helmsman.
__________________
Tim Spring
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2013, 02:24   #267
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post

Bad idea to kill the engine if at sea and swapping helmsman.
+1 I won't be doing that
__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2013, 02:33   #268
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
I think the point being made is don't try swapping at full chat where you have to remove the kill cord before you can swap places. If you do, incidents like this may well happen

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2013, 03:00   #269
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Bucks
Boat name: Spare Rib
Make: Zodiac/Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp Yamaha
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
I think the point being made is don't try swapping at full chat where you have to remove the kill cord before you can swap places. If you do, incidents like this may well happen

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007
Well yes, obviously. But the MAIB bulletin says "Stop the engine before transferring the kill cord to another driver".
__________________
Tim Spring
Observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2013, 03:11   #270
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
That is because the full details haven't yet been released. Without wanting to prejudge I would suggest this will be the message in the end.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ www.BoatsandOutboards4Sale.co.uk ~ 07930 421007
__________________

__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.