Town: livingston
Boat name: the massive
Make: valiant
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda BF115
MMSI: 235092322
RIBase
Towed Inflatables

As we will have a whole 2 weeks with the boat up in arisaig next month I was wanting to buy an inflatable to tow behind so I can drown my horrible children. I don't know anything about what to buy but looking at my price range it's going to be a 1 man either round or triangular shaped. What shape is the best for stability etc.
cheers
Old 19 June 2013, 13:11   #2

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Sportsstuff ® - Towables, Lounge & Leisure, Snow Sports Inflatable Innovation*| Sportsstuff

Awesome choice - but not that easy to get hold of in the UK .....
Old 19 June 2013, 13:29   #3

Town: Dorset
Boat name: BlueTube
Make: XS500
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury Opti 75hp
MMSI: 235098668
O'Brein screamer are excellent one man version will easily carry two teenagers/small adults. We've also had great fun/success kneeboarding with younger people (youngest was 8 year old)
Old 19 June 2013, 13:37   #4

RIBase
I didn't realise that they could kneeboard that young. My kids are nearly 8 and 11 so are desperate for anything that involves falling over a lot!
I want to stick with an inflatable this year but it has to be under £100 as I am a poor engineer. So would you suggest round or pointy shape?
Old 19 June 2013, 14:00   #5

The O'Brein screamer is basically a ringo without the hole think it cost me £100 but worth ever penny everyone young and old love it . From my experience would definitely steer clear of ringos kids especially nervous ones sit 'in' rather than 'on' and it just gets dragged under

Think the kneeboard also cost me about £100, present for my niece's, researched and bought good quality beginner board suitable for kids, was amazed how quickly they took to it, biggest problem they have is getting the adults off it so they can have a go!!!
Old 19 June 2013, 14:20   #6

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie1 View Post
The O'Brein screamer is basically a ringo without the hole think it cost me £100 but worth ever penny everyone young and old love it . From my experience would definitely steer clear of ringos kids especially nervous ones sit 'in' rather than 'on' and it just gets dragged under

Think the kneeboard also cost me about £100, present for my niece's, researched and bought good quality beginner board suitable for kids, was amazed how quickly they took to it, biggest problem they have is getting the adults off it so they can have a go!!!
I have got the same but Job I think about 80” odd inches in diameter kids love it 2 or 3 up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture or Video 111.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	81628  
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 June 2013, 20:05   #7

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie1 View Post

That sounds good advice about being dragged under as I saw that happen once to a tractor inner tube 26 years ago on Loch Lomond. I will go for the screamer. Cheers to all who advised.
Old 19 June 2013, 20:15   #8

Town: LONDON
Make: SR4/ZODIAC/3D
Engine: 30T/40T
I've got a genuine RINGO inflatable that I have no use for. It's yours if you want it. Ropes, tube, cover etc., all there. Good condition too.
Old 19 June 2013, 21:07   #9

Town: Isle of Wight mostly
Make: Regal
Engine: Mercruiser
MMSI: 235911246
Pm sent
Old 19 June 2013, 22:21   #10

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
My lot found the ringos were too fast so I went for the three man banana that's really stable even at speed. I can still lose them off with a sharp turn over the wake......
Old 19 June 2013, 22:57   #11

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
They are the perfect age for kneeboarding, posted something earlier today below, any kid can get up on a kneeboard within 3 or 4 goes if taught the correct technique. Awesome fun at safe slowish speeds and you can progress as far as you want from basic towing to cutting, turns, jumps, 360's, flips etc. Pick up an old school (big) kneeboard on eBay for £30 or so.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/9-9hp-e...tml#post547786
Old 20 June 2013, 10:30   #12

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
This one looks liek fun?
WARBIRD INFLATABLE TOWABLE TUBE WATER SKI SPORTS BOAT RINGO DONUT | eBay

I've a traditional ringo and an inflatable knee version - big kids love it. Will be introducing the 8 year old later this year

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2013, 11:14   #13

That looks similiar to one we had and didn't impress, it had small skegs which made it very predictable and boring only really suitable for small kids

Ringo with inflable keel sounds good, although one of the big advantages we found with screamer was that adult could accompany nervous youngsters for the first few goes until confidence grows (one man screamer will easily take two)
Old 20 June 2013, 14:10   #14

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
O'Brien SCREAMER Inflatable Tube, 60" Blue 2011, 29246 | eBay

have been looking to replace ours as its worn out , the one above is similar to the one we have used for some years now and all my lot say its been the best they have tried compared to donuts and the ones with pockets etc to sit in , they even manage to stand on it if its flat calm and i drive really steady .
Takes 2 adults or 3 kids , stable and even gets used as a landing tender and a beach toy with the paddle from the rib . Will get airborn if you want to really get daft
Old 20 June 2013, 15:34   #15

Town: Castlebar
Boat name: Clewless
Make: Valiant DR 490
Engine: 60 hp ETEC
MMSI: Awaitng one
RIBase
I assume that all of these toys are pulled from the eyes on the transom and not the A frame?
Old 20 June 2013, 15:36   #16

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
I assume that all of these toys are pulled from the eyes on the transom and not the A frame?
Yes - unless you have a beefy frame to do it - but generally a level pull is enough for toys - frames are better for skiing and wakeboarding type things .
Old 20 June 2013, 16:01   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by two stroke mick View Post
Ours has been used for hours of fun just anchoring it up & playing on it & sun bathing too

I did manage to get ejected from my SR4 whilst towing from the top of the Aframe! Went round to pick up people fallen off biscuit (as we call it) dug in & pulled the boat over 90% I fell out & thought it was going to go full turtle!! But luckily kill cord did its job & boat just stopped & righted its self, leaving the girl left in the boat wondering what the hell that was all about! I now use a bridle in the SR4!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	biscit.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	81685  
Old 20 June 2013, 16:14   #18

Town: Onich
Boat name: Not yet bought
Make: Unsure
Engine: Unacquired
I've only pulled trad type ringoes, ie ones with a round tube, a central hole and a mesh bottom so you sit inside them. How do these screamer things work, then? Does the flat top dip down under your weight so you're still sitting "in" it, or do you lie on it, or what??

Also, is towing an inflatable from the top of the A frame dangerous? I assumed it would be better because you'd get the rope away from the water so less drag
Old 20 June 2013, 18:06   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnhe Lascar View Post
I've only pulled trad type ringoes, ie ones with a round tube, a central hole and a mesh bottom so you sit inside them. How do these screamer things work, then? Does the flat top dip down under your weight so you're still sitting "in" it, or do you lie on it, or what??

Also, is towing an inflatable from the top of the A frame dangerous? I assumed it would be better because you'd get the rope away from the water so less drag
You sit or lie on top of them, as for towing I still tow from ski pole on my ribeye but the weight of it means the boat stays in charge & can not be pulled around buy the ringo
Old 20 June 2013, 19:46   #20

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnhe Lascar View Post

Ours is also called a biscuit , you sit/lay on top of them , they are quite rigid when pumped up . similar to a ringo but flatter and they skim across the water faster in turns , if there is a bit of wind they can take off and fly then flip , which gets the kids laughing and me worried .

My little rib doesn't have an a frame so towing from the transom eyes is what i do with a good bridle with a pulley wheel . I think thats the only way on smaller boats under 5.5m but you do need to keep an eye on the rope etc when stationary as it can sink around the prop