Old 31 January 2006, 19:24   #1

Town: Tofte
Make: Tornado 750
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250 Suzuki
Tornado 750 / bracket ?

Hi !

Is it somebody on the forum with a tornado 750/850 with a bracket for outboards ?

Experience / pics ?

Roy

www.rib-adventure.no
RibRoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2006, 21:02   #2
JIY

Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRoy
Hi !

Is it somebody on the forum with a tornado 750/850 with a bracket for outboards ?

Experience / pics ?
Not sure what pics you are looking for Roy - is it a bracket for an auxilliary motor, or for the main motor?
Old 31 January 2006, 22:37   #3

Town: Carigaline/Baltimore
Boat name: XS-600
Make: XS-Ribs
Length: 6m +
Engine: Merc Optimax 150 XL
Here are some pics, I've no experience of them though.

Old 01 February 2006, 08:18   #4

Thanks !

looking for a bracket for the main motor. Will try to fit 10 seats in my new boat.I think with a bracket I will get the neceserry space ?
Need another console than Tornados also, and put the fueltank below deck.
4 seats in front of the console and 2 Ullmanns + 4 seats behind. And of course the Suzuki 300 that will be out late this year.

Roy

www.rib-adventure.no
Old 02 February 2006, 19:08   #5

Hi, Roy!
Did you read the last copy of Rib International? They have tested the Tornado 8.5 m during last season. They slaughtered the stiffnes of the hull. They ment that it felt like the longitunal stringers did not give enough support.

On the other hand, a lot of chartercompanies in Sweeden use the well proven Tornadoes.
Give me a call, and I can send you photoes of the stringers used in the Tornado.

When it comes to the bracket, I know that there are one 9.5m and one 11m in Sweeden using the brackets on Tornadoes. The 11m has 2x225hp on it and it works fine for him, no problem. But personally I would be extreemely sceptic. It is a lot of momentum bask there when you get airborn. I have seen three broken brackets on other ribs and Scorpoin denied to put on a bracket on my 8.75 back then. It might be a reason for that!

But looking at more expensive ribs, it is a different matter.
Old 02 February 2006, 19:19   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RibRoy
Thanks !

looking for a bracket for the main motor. Will try to fit 10 seats in my new boat.I think with a bracket I will get the neceserry space ?
Need another console than Tornados also, and put the fueltank below deck.
4 seats in front of the console and 2 Ullmanns + 4 seats behind. And of course the Suzuki 300 that will be out late this year.
Two questions!
No more problems with the gear on the Suzuki since you are looking for a new one?
No hard feelings against Tornado after delaminating the transom?
Old 02 February 2006, 21:17   #7

Hi Martin !

The transom got a crack early in the season, and was not attended to before late automm. By then it was delaminated and drained with water. This boat also had no reinforced transom. This boat is now back in UK for rep and also adding a transom locker for extra strenght. My boat still has a minor crack in the fuel tank. I have fixed it temporaly, and will try to fix it properly when the season is over ( I would have thougt it was over now, but still have clients every week ! ) Tornado insist that the boat is shipped back to UK if I want a new tank. Not so happy with that.

I have no problem with "soft" hull. No cracks around seatpods or console either. But then again, we dont have extreme conditions down here.

I have not skippered that much different ribs, but can say that IMHO the Tornado 750 is by far the best rib in our conditions. It is a little light empty, but with 6-8 passangers it really fantastic.

I know Valiant had lot of probs with brackets on their Patrol series. Im not that happpy with bracket, but I need the extra space it provide.

Could of course go for a 850, but then I need 2 engines and I also think it is more "sluggish" and not so fun and crisp to drive as the 750.

The Suzuki gearshift is like a hot knife in butter. It was rebuilt at the dealer in august. I belive the 300 will have the electric system like Verado.

Ser ut til at sjøfartsdiriktoratet omsider har gått med på å måle båten min !
Forøvrig så har jeg også sendt en søknad til finansdep. hvor jeg argumenterer for å slippe hk avgift uten å være registert i NOR

Snakkes

Roy

www.rib-adventure.no
Old 02 February 2006, 22:43   #8

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fjordrafting
Give me a call, and I can send you photoes of the stringers used in the Tornado.
Fjordrafting, would you mind posting these pictures? They would be interesting to see.
Old 07 February 2006, 13:25   #9

Sure will do. Have to wait some few days to post the pics. We have pictures from the stringers in both Revenger 29 and 34, and several Tornados, also the all new 11m. Everything looks perfect on both boats, and can`t see why HMS wrote so poorly about the Tornado. There is no doubt that there are stringers going all the way from front to rear. The stringers look big enough and the thicknes of the 11m ihull is said to be more than 3 cm! the thicknes of the Revenger is said to be 2.5cm, but it also carries less hp.
We will be testing the 11m. Tornado with 3x275hp and and the Revenger 34 with 2x275hp during this season to see if they work out fine and will be informing you about the findings in the end of the season.
Old 07 February 2006, 16:36   #10

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Talking of brackets and valiants here's one I spotted in Barcelona.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010898 (Small).JPG
Views:	225
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	17418   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010897 (Small).JPG
Views:	202
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	17419   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010902 (Small).JPG
Views:	196