Old 12 February 2012, 03:26   #1

Town: Kingsbridge.
Boat name: Dolly
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp Johnson
To good to be true, is it a scam?

I'll try and keep this short, I have my boat up for sale on a classified ad on Ebay, it's in dry storage in Salcombe, I'm in Essex 265 miles away, a guy in Germany wants it for his holiday home near Budapest.
At first he was going to come and view but now he wants to meet at Dover.
I have said no as it would be best part of 4 days work and over a 1000 mile trip should he not buy it once at Dover.
He has now offered to pay into my bank a 1000 non returnable deposit should he not go through with the sale.
I have yet to ask how intends to pay the balance, the boat value is just under 15k.
Is this a scam?? it's not one I've heard of.

Old 12 February 2012, 04:15   #2

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Umm. A difficult one. I suppose if you think it's worth a grand for the round trip you have nothing to lose
The only way I can see a scam here is if he tries to bargain you down or gives you counterfeit money
Send him as many pics as you can and tell him to pay for it up front

Old 12 February 2012, 04:19   #3

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
A 'non-refundable' deposit from a foreign bank transfer into a UK bank is anything but...

The whole scenario smells as fishy as a bag of festering prawns...
Old 12 February 2012, 04:23   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
1000 deposit? I'd want the money for the tow as well on top of the purchase price.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2012, 04:23   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
A 'non-refundable' deposit from a foreign bank transfer into a UK bank is anything but...

Even if it's via CHAPS? (do they use CHAPS abroad?)

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 February 2012, 04:33   #6

Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
It could be a scam which you need to draw your own conclusions (as could any UK buyer wanting the same deal) on but what I would say is we sell a lot of boats/outboards to Germany & Holland. I've had a lot of Germans come over after paying fully by bank transfer and taking the boats. Generally they are very easy to deal with and a pleasure in fact to sell to. more so than the Brits sometimes

I get a sale, they re-sell and make good profits. That's what your guy will be doing. PM me his details I may know of him, you never know

With me they are happy to pay in advance due to us being in the trade. I'd guess they don't want to wire over the full balance as your a private seller, so it's a bigger risk of you disappearing.

I never offer delivery though until the boats been inspected in person unless it's agreed that I take a reasonable non-refundable deposit! I've had it both ways recently where I agreed a delivery with COD (driving 12 hor round trip) and the buyer was delighted to complete and one where it started to get concerning (on both sides) prior to delivery so I refunded rather than take the risk of an issue arriving upon delivery.

In any case if he's wired 1,000 over and come all the way over from Germany he would have to have some serious concerns not to complete so if your honest with the condition and confident in the boat it should be fine. If your aware of possible obstacles then you need to let him know now!

My advice is get a good deposit and try to make him come to you. Do the deal in GBP notes (which he will need to order) and do the deal during banking hours so you can go pay it into your account. If they are happy release the boat!

Failing that, do the same in Dover but take a larger non-refundable deposit which your happy with covering your time should he fail to show. Only give your iban and swift codes out, not your full banking details.

If I can be of any help just let me know via PM. I'd be happy to act as broker for you ?

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 12 February 2012, 04:36   #7

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Too slow, Peter have it all well covered....
Old 12 February 2012, 04:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max...

Once the funds are clear in the account for 1 working day following the transfer it's the same risk as any UK transfer. The transfer cannot be cancelled his end but is still open to any fraudulent claim of it being somebody else's account. Unlikely but it can happen!

Seriously you would not believe how many Honda/Yamaha Outboards leave this Country for Holland - and you wonder why there's not many on the market. I know of at least 5 UK main dealers who ship out every one they take in to one Guy in Holland. I've tried tapping into it but you just cannot get close to what they can pay!

Like I said it could be a scam - but don't rule out a genuine sale either.

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
Old 12 February 2012, 04:40   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-NUMB
How about this? You request the buyer to pay full amount by bank transfer, whereof 1000 (or higher amount)non returnable deposit should he not go through with the sale. The balance amount would be returnable. The deposit has nothing to do with the bank, its an agreement between You and the Buyer. This to be documented on written contract but details may be added on the transfer remarks field also.

A bank transfer( SWIFT or similar), ones the money is on Your account is safe. Both of You can be identified later on, much more controlled than paypal. The buyer though takes a risk but thats life.

I paid my SR in advance by bank transfer, but we had a lot of communication and information exchange before the deal.
Would you wire 15,000 to a private guy in Germany ? I would not! Think of it from the buyers side in Germany too

Old 12 February 2012, 04:55   #10

Town: Helsinki
Boat name: SR 5.4
Make: Avon
Engine: Toh1 3,5 Yam 90/2S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Would you wire 15,000 to a private guy in Germany ? I would not! Think of it from the buyers side in Germany too

It depends a lot on the background of the story. If i can get recommendations, and can positively confirm identity, maybe.

Guess buying a rib from a well established RIBnet'ter having a condition check done, proper contract, why not? But using a broker might be smarter, agree.