Old 13 July 2004, 14:06   #1

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
This could be fun......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/3883235.stm

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2004, 14:53   #2

Town: Brixham, Devon
Boat name: FLY-BY/FLY-BY II
Make: Ribcraft/Avon
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 175/Yamaha 30
How about a RIBNET get together in the slow lane of the M5 this summer????

Torbay & Dartmouth Powerboat School
01803 855508
The South West Premier RYA Powerboat Training Centre
www.powerboat-instruction.co.uk
David Hickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2004, 15:28   #3

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
The trailer towing speed limit is 60mph - lorries are governed to 56mph - so what are you supposed to do when you meet one? Even worse what happens if you get stuck behind a lorry carrying steel coils on an uphill section - or even a tank transporter - of course everyone has to stick behind it at 20mph!!!

Yet another example of Labour's total anti car policy - roads are busier than ever - what is Labours solution? Simple lets make the roads narrower and close off all the side streets forcing all the traffic to use just 1 road!

Developers are now told not to allow sufficient parking spaces to FORCE people to use public transport - what happens - residents aroung the stadium or whatever come home to find their drive blocked by parked cars.
Old 13 July 2004, 15:46   #4

Town: Leatherhead
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
Developers are now told not to allow sufficient parking spaces to FORCE people to use public transport - what happens - residents aroung the stadium or whatever come home to find their drive blocked by parked cars.
A recent development near us is for 40 flats. The developers have to provide 1.5 spaces per flat = 60 spaces. The only access to this development is onto a busy road, 50m from a r/a that serves a major school in the area. Result - there will be chaos at school arrival/leaving times. Still, at least it will slow down some of the pr*ts who like to drive like Button.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2004, 16:18   #5

Town: Dartmouth
Ian Gray, the proprietor of the Riverside Caravan Park in Plymouth, says modern cars and caravans rarely cause a problem on motorways
He said: "Modern cars can pull vans at the speed of the motorway. It's only a problem occasionally on narrow country lanes.

....now that's got to be the funniest thing i've heard in a while
Old 13 July 2004, 18:15   #6

Town: Chichester
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
The trailer towing speed limit is 60mph - lorries are governed to 56mph - so what are you supposed to do when you meet one? Even worse what happens if you get stuck behind a lorry carrying steel coils on an uphill section - or even a tank transporter - of course everyone has to stick behind it at 20mph!!!

Yet another example of Labour's total anti car policy - roads are busier than ever - what is Labours solution? Simple lets make the roads narrower and close off all the side streets forcing all the traffic to use just 1 road!

Overtaking one slow machine with another one leaves one spare lane for normal traffic and going up a hill this causes many delays on a motorway. I think caravans and other road trailers should stick to the inside lane, I do when I am towing unless I meet something like a tractor or milk float which is going mega slow. We slow everyone down on the minor routes normally anyway.
Old 14 July 2004, 01:12   #7

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
GREAT NEWS

I just hopped that one day these people who frustrate, upset and annoy all other motorists who mind their own business, and create stupid accidents because they never thought to check the grease on the wheel baring on their 'Hearse' were limited in some way. And this is one way.
There is no law yet but from what I hear on the grape vine caravan owners will be called to pay a hefty road tax fee as well while using their . Now I don't know if this will apply to trailers too.
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2004, 06:45   #8

Town: Beverley
Boat name: TBA
Make: Unknown
Engine: Tohatsu 8Hp
IMHO One of the biggest causes of slow downs on busy roads is when you get one lorry overtaking another with a speed advantage of 1/2 mph on a dual carriageway.
I can't say that I find caravans a problem on 3 lane raods where they are already banned from the ouside lane, they only tend to be a problem when they are travelling at 'let's all look at this beautiful countyside' speed. Maybe minumum speed limits would be more help!
I have to agree that most cars are capable of pulling a caravan, large trailer, boat(!) or similar at or beyond any UK speed limit, it's the driving that's the problem, not the vehicles.

"I'm not lost, I'm exploring...."
roohairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 July 2004, 07:12   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos
GREAT NEWS

There is no law yet but from what I hear on the grape vine caravan owners will be called to pay a hefty road tax fee as well while using their . Now I don't know if this will apply to trailers too.
So does that mean that cos I tow my Rib on the back of my Motorhome I am in for a hefty fee? I have to say the biggest problem I come up against... dare I say it without getting shot down.... Elderly folk poodling down the inside lane or sitting in the middle lane, not a care in the world 40mph to 45 mph max, and the occasional person who then sees a Motorhome and Boat going for the overtake and then they decide to put their foot down leaving you stranded and having to back down only then to have then slow down again in front of you. So I disagree that Caravans and Boat towers are a hinderence to road traffic.

Enough Said
Old 14 July 2004, 07:26   #10

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
I'm considering buying a coach and converting half to take my boat, then i can do an Italian job style launch from the back