Old 24 October 2017, 18:51   #1

Town: Leicester
Make: Avon & Yam380 SIB
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 50&Suzuki 16
The Isles of Scilly

Hello All
Thinking about Ribbing out to the Scilly Isles in May 2018 from Penzance, anyone got any advise or would like to join the adventure? Would much prefer to travel with a few others for the first time!
There will be two of us and some kit, staying for a week. I see from other posts it is very much weather dependant, worst case is there somewhere secure to leave the outfit in Penzance and get on the ferry?
Cheers
Ian
Old 25 October 2017, 08:38   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Take your rib. Don't leave it in Penzance unless absolutely necessary.
Only thing is to avoid/be very careful of the shallowness of the whole area, especially at low tide.
Oh, and takes lots of money, the islands lend to be VERY expensive.
Petrol available from Sibleys, in cans, the last time I was there, on the dockside in St. Mary.
Look out for lots of seals, sea birds, puffins if the right season and do visit Bishop's Rock lighthouse, the Great Hanjague and Pulpit rock.
Go round Round Rock Lighthouse and try to jump through the Men-a-Vaur-if you dare!
Have a great, great time.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 09:58   #3

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Did this a couple of years ago - fantastic trip! Just watch the weather.
Can get quite exciting passing Lands End - but head out to Wolf Rock (don't hit it!) then across....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Route to Scillies.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	122466  
Old 25 October 2017, 10:11   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Take your rib. Don't leave it in Penzance unless absolutely necessary.
But better there than Newlyn!
Old 25 October 2017, 11:51   #5

Town: Morley,Leeds
Make: Humber Attaque
Length: 5m +
Engine: 85hp Yam 2/stroke
I'll be on the Islands in May, depending on your dates we could meet up.

If you need any info on the Islands, let me know. I keep my Rib there and spend 4-5 weeks a year there.

A mooring in St Mary's harbour was £7.50 a night this year. Fuel still available from Sibleys on the quay. Fuel was £1.80 a litre this year.
Old 25 October 2017, 14:04   #6

Town: Poole
Boat name: El Mono
Make: Ribtec 9M
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo III
I think weather window is the key for the passage Penzance -> St Mary's (and back again), especially in a small RIB. Once you're there, it's a wonderful place to explore in a small boat, lots of beautiful coves and bays to visit, just as other's have said be very careful about the shallows and numerous rocks. Main routes are well charted and explained in detail in the various pilot books/almanacs, but in a small RIB going slowly, you have plenty of options.

I've sailed it in our yacht several times, but not yet taken the RIB beyond Newlyn. It's something like 42NM from memory, and with the typical prevailing SW winds, you'll likely be head into wind on the way there with a bit of chop, which might make you drop your speed a bit, so just consider how long you think that passage will take, and make sure you have a suitable weather window, and plenty of petrol in case you have to slow down/fight waves.
Old 25 October 2017, 14:40   #7

Town: Cheltenham
Make: Marex
Length: 9m +
RIBase
I might very well be interested in a Scilly run in May but might just stay for a night or two. I've never been before and its on the bucket list. I will keep an eye on the thread and see if it develops.
Thanks
Charlie
Old 25 October 2017, 17:32   #8

Town: N. Devon
Boat name: (Not Another) Nutkin
Make: Highfield
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard, Honda 135
MMSI: 232036183
RIBase
Worst case is you can bring her home on the ferry if the weather blows up., It'll cost £220 but could work out cheaper then an extra trip to collect and a mooring whilst you wait.

Bude Dive Club - www.budediveclub.co.uk
GAFIRS - www.gafirs.org.uk
treerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2017, 19:31   #9

Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
The trip across isn’t bad if you are used to it, I’ve done it in most conditions, best was in a Phantom under 40 mins quay to quay in chop
Old 28 October 2017, 19:38   #10

Town: BRIDGEND
Boat name: Oren Eto
Make: Avon
Engine: Mariner 90 hp 4 stro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Tickle View Post
Hello All
Thinking about Ribbing out to the Scilly Isles in May 2018 from Penzance, anyone got any advise or would like to join the adventure? Would much prefer to travel with a few others for the first time!
There will be two of us and some kit, staying for a week. I see from other posts it is very much weather dependant, worst case is there somewhere secure to leave the outfit in Penzance and get on the ferry?
Cheers
Ian
I would say, subject to a good forecast between Land's End & St Mary's, go for it. I have sailed there in a 33ft Ketch, delivered a 22Ft pleasure boat and taken my own Tornado 5.5m RIB there and back, all from Swansea, 135 NM distance.

All went well but I have crossed from Penzance to St Mary's dozens of times on the Scillonian, and more often than not, it has been a rough crossing, you are head on to the prevailing winds and seas. Before you go see the seas from Land's End, not from Penzance, there will be a world of difference and, unlike me, go in company of other boat(s) for added safety. Once there, take heed of what others on this forum have warned about but it is a really magical place, ideal for ribbing and you can leave the boat in safety if you have to leave it. Fuel is very pricey. Cheers.
Old 29 October 2017, 18:53   #11

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Seadrive
Make: Capelli Tempest 470
Engine: Suzuki DF70
MMSI: 235079113
Quote:
Originally Posted by longjohn View Post
Did this a couple of years ago - fantastic trip! Just watch the weather.
Can get quite exciting passing Lands End - but head out to Wolf Rock (don't hit it!) then across....
Came across this on the way back - amazing!
https://youtu.be/XqK5oohQFhw
Old 08 November 2017, 22:02   #12

Town: Chester
Boat name: Black Hawk
Make: Osprey Vipermax 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Etec 200 HO
MMSI: 235114488
Done the trip to Scilly a number of times in both fantastic and awful conditions. Always worse on the way over but worth it when you arrive - paradise! I've always launched at Newlyn and left my car and trailer in the harbour car park - never had a problem and the harbour 24hr security staff are really helpful. Call Newlyn harbour and book/pay in advance. It's free to launch on the Newlyn slip but timing is key because it dries at low water. I've always put the boat in the night before and tied up on the pontoon which costs £15/ night - Isles of Scilly Parking will look after the boat in a secure compound if you are caught by the weather.
I'll be heading across in late July for a couple of weeks if anyone wants some company on the way over!