Old 29 June 2009, 22:28   #21
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Alystra - it's really quite intriguing, dare I inquire about your cooking arrangements, which I suspect you have sorted?
Just in case I'm under suspicion of taking the p1ss (as if ), I've racked up nine weeks living in this (in Bogib territory), so the rib/camping thing has a certain appeal and potentially..., well, that's another day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LR110.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	43661  
Old 29 June 2009, 22:54   #22

Town: Ardfern
Boat name: Moon Raker
Make: Humber Destroyer
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF 90 D
MMSI: 235035994
Don't worry JSP, I'm old enough to know better, been there, done that. Sadly most of my female peers are blue rinsed. Their daughters are lovely mind you and they buy me the odd pint, naively reassured by my grandfatherly image. They're right of course, for I remember them when they were just a lump. Being bought a pint by a lump reminds one of ones place within society. So, no, I don't have to worry, the girlfriend thing is just wishful thinking - and anyway, even the Sunseeker isn't attractive enough when they get to a certain age.

WillK. Yep! The girlfriend thing's too hard. I did think hard about the cooking. Thing is, I've enclosed the whole boat. The fuel tank is in the console, its breather vents on the front of the console - inside the tent. That's one reason I left the after end of the tent open. At anchor, with the boat more or less head to wind, the airflow through the tent is from aft to forward. Thus any fumes (and there are some) are blown forward. There are plenty of gaps round the edges of the tent. The only time I ever smelt fuel was when the water separator on the transom started leaking. So it's safe to light a match. I use a tiny Bluet camping stove, left over from when I used to camp in my exWD series 2 LWB LandRover. Hardly posh, but a glass of red wine helps with the tinned ready meals. I have to admit that I closed my eyes the first time I lit the stove. It was ok and has been since. I wouldn't say the cooking's really sorted yet (I need a table) - but it works. Just remember to hold on to the pan/cooker at all times while it's lit. You never know when a passing wake might tip it onto the nearest tube.
Old 29 June 2009, 23:19   #23

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimn View Post
Great read,
A couple of weeks ago we had the main engine fail just off the Flannan Isles, 20 odd miles from the Isle of Lewis, we switched to our 8HP Aux which moved our 5.4M Searider at about 5 kts. Unfortunately the gearbox died after about 40 mins and the VHF started to look like the only option. After a bit of soul searching, praying and swearing we managed to get the main restarted and make it back home, I think the remoteness is the worrying part, even with the binoculars there were no other boats or ships visible.
Even on a good day the weather can change quickly out at the Flannans, with the open Atlantic a unforgiving place. The only other boats that regularly venture out that way is one Seatrek's craft, either their Inteceptor 42' or their Delta 9m RIB. There's also a boat from Harris that does the same trip. Depending on the time of year, you sometimes get a visiting yacht or two. Good to hear you got the main engine going.
Old 29 June 2009, 23:20   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Just in case I'm under suspicion of taking the p1ss (as if ), I've racked up nine weeks living in this (in Bogib territory), so the rib/camping thing has a certain appeal and potentially..., well, that's another day
Hey! That's cool. My Landy had oxygen and acetylene cylinders and lots of kit under the bed, and a mattress on top with a big black and hairy dog and a bicycle, for local travel on nice days. I've still got the bicycle, and use it. So I never thought you were taking it.

For me, sleeping aboard a boat in wild and isolated places is what cruising is all about. Quiet evenings, just seals and otters for company, sunsets over wild islands, mornings full of birdsong and promise. I never feel so free and so at one with the real world anywhere else.

Cheers Tony
Old 29 June 2009, 23:38   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Dare I ask how long to put it up?
Half an hour from anchoring to putting the kettle on. Another ten mins. to get it sorted for strongish winds and pump the dinghy up.

Of course, the dinghy usually goes up first. When away, unless I'm expecting rough seas, I leave the hoops and supports shipped. Deployment to strong wind level then takes 20 mins. Development is ongoing and techniques improving, so it's a fluid situation.
Old 30 June 2009, 02:13   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
Hey! That's cool. My Landy had oxygen and acetylene cylinders and lots of kit under the bed, and a mattress on top with a big black and hairy dog and a bicycle, for local travel on nice days. I've still got the bicycle, and use it. So I never thought you were taking it.

For me, sleeping aboard a boat in wild and isolated places is what cruising is all about. Quiet evenings, just seals and otters for company, sunsets over wild islands, mornings full of birdsong and promise. I never feel so free and so at one with the real world anywhere else.

Cheers Tony
Sounds perfect to me.

I used to do a lot of hill walking and mountain climbing - often alone - just so good to get away from people and so called traffic calming!!!

I bought a RIB for a good reason - if I hadn't I would have bought a sailing thing and become a water gippo!!!

My reasoning was I can't stay out if i have no cabin - damn you and your ideas - probably got room on mine for a garden shed!!!
Old 30 June 2009, 09:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Sounds perfect to me.

I used to do a lot of hill walking and mountain climbing - often alone - just so good to get away from people and so called traffic calming!!!

I bought a RIB for a good reason - if I hadn't I would have bought a sailing thing and become a water gippo!!!

My reasoning was I can't stay out if i have no cabin - damn you and your ideas - probably got room on mine for a garden shed!!!
Go for it cp. Life gets shorter by the minute.

It'll add a whole new dimension to 'Just going to potter about in the shed, dear.'
Old 11 July 2009, 10:28   #28

(See 'Engines and Props')
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wake.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	43935  
Old 11 July 2009, 11:34   #29

Town: Girvan & Tayvallich
Boat name: Breawatch
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Mercury 150 F/stroke
MMSI: ex directory!!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by alystra View Post
(See 'Engines and Props')
Glad to see you are back on the sea once more my friend. So we will have to look oput for the mobile tent in the smallest bays once more.
I am awaiting diaphragm kit fuel filter for the seperator and a set of plugs, hope to be up on 23rd and mobile by 24th.

Billy
Member of SABS ( Scottish West Division)
jambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 July 2009, 12:02   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo View Post
Glad to see you are back on the sea once more my friend. So we will have to look oput for the mobile tent in the smallest bays once more.
I am awaiting diaphragm kit fuel filter for the seperator and a set of plugs, hope to be up on 23rd and mobile by 24th.

Billy
Cheers Billy,

Yes, I aim to be out and about that week and over the weekend, if weather ok. Went out to Corryvreckan and back last evening in the sunshine, to give the engine its first reasonable run since the failure. All seems ok now.

Hope your bits and pieces arrive ok.

Tony