Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 11 January 2013, 15:04   #1

Length: 7m +
The Chandlery Barge - River Hamble

After hearing people talking about this place I decided to check it out today, was looking for a drain plug which I found and also spent about hald an hour drooling over various bits of not so new boat kit. Its an amazing place, Kind of a mixture of a decent chadlery plus reclamation/restoration yard / boat antique shop. Some really interesting bits and pieces and great if your looking for some obscure part or infact something boat minded for your house or garden that you can change to something else.

I went in for a £5 transom bunk and spent over a £100 quid on a small brass porthole (rather old) and a double light fixture (again old red and green) which must have come from some large old ship up on the light bar (nav lights), im converting the brass porthole into a bathroom fixture and converting the large double nav light struvture into a garden feature to spread some atmospheric lighting in the garden.

I coudl have spent hours in that place, im glad there is a place which is saving old stuff from boats.

Well worth a visit.
Old 11 January 2013, 15:22   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
After hearing people talking about this place I decided to check it out today, was looking for a drain plug which I found and also spent about hald an hour drooling over various bits of not so new boat kit. Its an amazing place, Kind of a mixture of a decent chadlery plus reclamation/restoration yard / boat antique shop. Some really interesting bits and pieces and great if your looking for some obscure part or infact something boat minded for your house or garden that you can change to something else.

I went in for a £5 transom bunk and spent over a £100 quid on a small brass porthole (rather old) and a double light fixture (again old red and green) which must have come from some large old ship up on the light bar (nav lights), im converting the brass porthole into a bathroom fixture and converting the large double nav light struvture into a garden feature to spread some atmospheric lighting in the garden.

I coudl have spent hours in that place, im glad there is a place which is saving old stuff from boats.

Well worth a visit.
I hope you're not going to poo through your porthole.
Old 11 January 2013, 15:39   #3

Town: Fareham
Boat name: Red Dog
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP Yamaha
I use them quite a lot, even the new stuff is reasonably priced.
Old 11 January 2013, 15:57   #4

Totally agree, used them many times.

They also have extensive stocks of bankrupt type stuff, some of it new. Great source for obscure bits too.

I have always thought its a bit like permanent boat jumble, except some of the prices.

Never assume you will just "pop in" it always takes longer than you think.

Make a point of going downstairs, treasure trove!!

Ian
Old 11 January 2013, 16:34   #5

Town: southampton
Length: 4m +
i've spent many an hour down there tiding up all their steering cables looking for the right one.
Old 11 January 2013, 19:53   #6

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Was there myself all afternoon today

« Poole | Top | Help please »