Old 08 December 2008, 10:37   #41
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I've had an email from the PLA today saying that the feedback has now been "reviewed" and their findings will be circulated in the next day or so . . .

John

Old 08 December 2008, 11:48   #42
RIBnet supporter

Town: Hants
Boat name: Gemineye
Make: Ribeye S850 charter
Length: 8m +
Engine: 300hp
MMSI: 235097445
John I have had 2 documents from PLA setting out response but cannot attach for others to read- have you received these docs?
Old 08 December 2008, 14:35   #43

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
I have had 2 pdfs from them - will read them properly later but looks like the usual sort of hogwash we can expect from government type bodies - "we have noted your points but we will bugger things up anyway"!!!

I am also about to point out to them their mistakes regarding data protection. The email I received had everyone elses address visable - I noticed quite a few ribnet member on there!!!
Old 08 December 2008, 14:58   #44
Administrator

For anyone who's interested you can download the response here. It's an 8meg pdf by the way.

John
Old 08 December 2008, 15:02   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I have had 2 pdfs from them - will read them properly later but looks like the usual sort of hogwash we can expect from government type bodies - "we have noted your points but we will bugger things up anyway"!!!
If you took the trouble to read it first before making your judgement you'd see that they have conceded on just about everything apart from the speed limit. Looks like they're digging their heels in on that one, which is unfortunate.
Quote:
I am also about to point out to them their mistakes regarding data protection. The email I received had everyone elses address visable - I noticed quite a few ribnet member on there!!!
Cue 50ish people getting a series of emails saying "Are you Codprawn?"!

John
Old 08 December 2008, 18:50   #46
CJL

Town: London
Make: Ribcrafts
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
It makes interesting reading and they still have a few major holes in their proposed legislation.

"You should wear a kill cord" ......... but you don't have to!!

Really badly written!

Plus I spent a fair amount of time asking them to justify why additional legislation imposing a speed limit was the first response to the address the navigational risks. They've ignored this point totally.

They could have tried education, training, advice, signs, anything before charging down the new legislation option.

C
CJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 December 2008, 20:15   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
If you took the trouble to read it first before making your judgement you'd see that they have conceded on just about everything apart from the speed limit. Looks like they're digging their heels in on that one, which is unfortunate.
Cue 50ish people getting a series of emails saying "Are you Codprawn?"!

John
It was ONLY the speed limit that really mattered!!!

Why can't these meddlesome gits just leave things alone? if it ain't broke don't fix it!!!
Old 09 December 2008, 03:17   #48
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Plus I spent a fair amount of time asking them to justify why additional legislation imposing a speed limit was the first response to the address the navigational risks. They've ignored this point totally.

They could have tried education, training, advice, signs, anything before charging down the new legislation option.
It looks like there may still be room for negotiation on the speed limit.

Given the pitifully low numbers of people bothering to object I'm not sure how much hope there is, but some more carefully worded and rational letters certainly wouldn't do any harm.

It seems very unlikely that simply opposing a speed limit will get us anywhere, so we need an alternative proposal.

I can't see any justification for keeping small powerboats off the plane between Lambeth and Wandsworth, especially when the river is all but deserted. Have a look at aerial photos of the River on Google maps or similar, and you'll see how much traffic there isn't!

Even through the bridges I would be much more comfortable doing, say, 20 knots which is slow enough to give plenty of time to react but gives the flexibility to get out of the way quickly.

Having said that, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a Nelson doing 20 knots (have you ever seen the PLA following the boat race in their launches?), so maybe it should be an exemption for small boats?

What would be a reasonable exemption to aim for? Maybe 25 knots for planing craft under 10 metres LOA? 20 knots? 7 metres?

None of us want to see a speed limit, but if we can find a compromise that still allows us to make reasonable progress on the plane then at least it would stop London becoming a complete write off.

Thoughts?

John
Old 09 December 2008, 09:30   #49

John the reason there was such a pathetic response could be that no matter what people do the authorities just don't care. Look at Lake Windemere as an example. There was a huge outcry over the speed limit with all the local business people getting involved etc. All the concerns were fully justified and even the lake authorities have lost loads of money but they will NEVER admit to being wrong.

Then there was the petition about id cards - over 1 MILLION people signed the petition but the government are still hell bent on trying to introduce it.

Is it any wonder people have become slightly apathetic?
Old 09 December 2008, 10:23   #50
Administrator

Whatever. I'm not suggesting it's easy, but if people don't even bother to respond to consultation then they waive their rights to moan about it afterwards.

So do we:
1 - roll over?
2 - fight for no speed limit at all?
3 - try to find a compromise?

Oh and petitions never carried much clout, and with the advent of brainless, no effort internet petitions they are worth as much as the paper they're not printed on.

John