Old 25 June 2012, 06:05   #11
SR4

Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Mercury 50hp
I guess if I fitted the stand square on I would just need a crew member sitting on the side tubes to relay the navigation info to me, at least the would have a clear view of the screen

Old 25 June 2012, 06:10   #12

Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
If it makes you feel better my Garmin mount is the same. I duly drilled holes etc on the assumption it would of course be straight ......its a quality bit of kit and surely they will have made it 'straight'.

but no, when Iattached the mount to the base I am a few degress off square.... I just live with it , but it still bugs me each time I mount the unit.

Old 25 June 2012, 07:41   #13

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
That's annoying.

On the up side, you won't need the Thread Title changed...
..... and makes my praise look misjudged ..... I can honestly say that I have never noticed it being out of square....but then mine is mounted on an angled dash....

Follow us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 June 2012, 10:48   #14
SR4

Took it back, read about the Garmin on this thread with similar problem, bought a Simrad, much more expensive but definitely on the square

Bonus: Uses the same Navionics charts as the mother ship although the model I bought came pre loaded with Silver version I can put in the mother ships gold if I want to see whatever gold gives you that silver doesn't.

Sorry to be sketchy but I have no clue what I bought just anything was better than Standard Horizon, plus Simrad is IPX7 and the other was only 5, so able to get out in the rough stuff or more likely hose down the boat with the plotter still attached
Old 25 June 2012, 15:58   #15
SR4

PLEASE NOTE THE UNIT I BOUGHT TODAY WAS THE LOWRANCE HDS5 NOT a SIMRAD, sorry I got confused.

Well I have been playing with the LOWRANCE (NOT Simrad as I first thought, told you I didn't know what I had bought :-) ), fantastic bit of kit, the quality of everything from the cables to waterproof sockets, High definition screen, charts, CD software and manuals included, stand, and menus beat the hell out of the Standard Horizon. I hate to say this but I think I have proved my initial thoughts regarding Standard Horizon right, its not even as if they are cheapo machines, with charts they are demanding the same money as quality products, still it is up to people to make their own choice, I'm happy now, so thanks for the advice, I did listen