Old 15 November 2018, 18:16   #1

Town: Fort Lauderdale
Length: under 3m
Some suggestions for small RIB

Hey all. I wanted to preface this with me telling a little how I use my boat. First - I am a huge fan of small boats. Currently have a 12.5 fiberglass skiff in trailer in my garage with a 20HP I converted to remote. I thoroughly enjoy smaller boats as they take up much less space. I am looking to sell this boat to my brother who lives on a freshwater lake so he can use to fish with his sons. I live in south Florida (Broward area specifically) and frequent the sandbars and just enjoy cruising the intercoastal with occasionally dropping anchor just off mangrove islands and fishing.

I want to replace the fiberglass boat with an RIB. I specifically want to rid myself of the trailering since boat ramps down here are just too hectic nowadays. I will still be keeping the boat in the garage but might consider making a hoist or system where I can keep it off the floor of the garage, or just lean it up vertically to save room.

I have been looking at the Mercury 310 RIB and the Zodiac Cadet 310 Compact. I plan to get a 8-9.8HP motor and set it up remote. I know most would say tiller has more space but I have done the tiller steer for years and am over it. I know I will loose space but Id rather have a nice backrest looking forward than anything. The setup I envision is a simple seat where I attach the steering/throttle cables to (most likely stick steer btw) similar to the eurohelm perhaps but I would custom make this.

Questions are - I am trying to keep the boat alone under $2k and would prefer something closer to 1.5k. Since it is going to be garage kept, would hypalon still be preferred? Are these boats considered quality or is another brand worth considering?

Lastly, for RIB with fiberglass floors, can you add to the floor with epoxy and fiberglass? I was thinking about building a box for the fuel tank (these models do not have tank storage and wanted to know if this is something that can be done.

Thanks!
Old 15 November 2018, 21:47   #2

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
RIB rigid inflatable boat....has a hard hull just like a fibreglass boat.

If not trailering how are you getting it to the water?
Old 19 November 2018, 18:43   #3

Planning on those folding wheels to drag to water. Deflate and put in truck bed to get there.
Old 19 November 2018, 19:03   #4

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Deflating doesn’t make it much smaller maybe a folding rib (rare) would suit better, SIBs are more suited to packing down and come with solid floor options (hull isn’t solid) a little faffier to put together but lighter and easier to handle
Old 20 November 2018, 17:12   #5

Size isnt really the issue in all honesty. As long as I can atleast put it in the back of my truck (or worst case just put it on top of the bed with a tonneau cover clamped down).

I plan to store it upright in my garage or make a pully system to have it hanging from the roof. I just want something now that doesnt take up much space in garage, doesnt "require" a trailer that can get me out on the water.

BTW when I was asking if I can add to the floor - I know the bottom is fiberglass - what I meant was can I epoxy/fiberglass a front storage console for the fuel tank onto the boat. Does it work the same way as an all fiberglass boat in this situation? (I assume the chemicals can destroy the tubes but being careful.

Lastly: BLACK FRIDAY deals are here!

Looks like West Marine will have the C310 RIB with folding transom for 1200. Looking to get that - however it also states that the WM brand are all 30% off. This makes the single floor 310 ~$1450. It looks like the only difference is the 15HP max vs 10HP, and allows for only 3people vs the compact at 4 people. Would it still be worthwhile getting the Compact with folding transom? Do people put folding wheels on the folding transom type boats?

Thanks
Old 21 November 2018, 09:00   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
nice size and weight 15 hp engine max ali hull

Ron Hale Marine Ltd - Zodiac Cadet 330 Ultra Light Aluminium RIB

Tags
rib