View Poll Results: Should there be a legally enforced alcohol limit for leisure boaters?
Yes. Legislation is the way forward. 33 32.04%
Don't mind. I don't drink and boat so it won't affect me. 11 10.68%
No. Things are fine as they are. 59 57.28%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15 August 2007, 03:51   #91
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cambs/Northants
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathalla View Post
Wow!! Fast expanding thread!
American beer is that classed as drinking alcohol
Old 15 August 2007, 16:28   #92

Town: Leighton Buzzard
Boat name: Phoenix
Make: Osprey Eagle
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 75hp
Beer Mats

On a recent MCA mid season audit of our passenger boat the inspector left us a couple of packs of beer mats, not very suitable to have on the bar of a passenger boat as the bar is what earns the money on trips. We put them onboard our self drive dayboat and it has reduced the amount of excessive drinking by hirers. Excessive drinking seems to be very common on the inland waterways.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	beer mat1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	29313  

Old 15 August 2007, 16:31   #93

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
If alcohol was responsible for 1,000 deaths out of 7,000 then I reckon they should ban water because that was responsible for the other 6,000!!
Old 15 August 2007, 17:05   #94

Town: Portsmouth
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha HPDI 200
Send a message via MSN to thorper
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonmitch View Post
Thirdly, what would those that are against any limit suggest should happen to a boater who does kill/injure someone whilst under the influence? The same as if alcohol wasn't involved?
I've not been able to get an answer on this one from the anti crowd yet
thorper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2007, 06:35   #95

Town: Haverfordwest
Boat name: Nenya
Make: Tornado 5.1
Engine: Mercury 60hp
MMSI: 235051491
Good thread, some interesting reading from both sides.
I am in no way trying to advocate the use of legislation to limit peoples enjoyment and has been pointed out by some already, I don't actually see that going out and getting wrecked (pun intended) has to go hand in hand with having a good time.
If you don't get drunk and then use your boat, which I can't recall anybody putting their hands up to, then why not try to limit those that do, why shouldn't the authorites have the power to prevent people from endangering themselves and others? I don't buy the "it's the thin end of the wedge" arguement.
I can understand fully the arguements regarding the change in weather conditions requiring an unscheduled move, in such circumstances why can't common sense be applied?
I think we all know that we are talking about the type of person that goes out knowing that he will almost certainly be coming back drunk, but doesn't care.
Old 16 August 2007, 08:42   #96

Town: Ayrshire
Boat name: Raven
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: 150 suzuki
MMSI: 235040525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugshot View Post
I can understand fully the arguements regarding the change in weather conditions requiring an unscheduled move, in such circumstances why can't common sense be applied?
The law is black and white, it has to be to counter smart lawyers, are you suggesting discretion on the part of the Officer?

I think it would be the thin edge of the wedge, random stopping for drink driving I fully agree with on the road, itís a totally different scenario to the sea. I for one could envisage marina entrances becoming favourite haunts for patrol boats.

We break the law almost every time we drive a car, from hard rubbers on your wipers to variances in tyre pressures, (dozens of things) so naturally a traffic car could charge you with something if they really looked for it. Luckily they donít, itís a balancing act on their part, but the threat is there.

Itís a threat I would rather not have when Iím out on the boat

Instead of addressing the majority, address the minority; if someone dies because of this issue, itís premeditated; the appropriate charge should apply.
Old 16 August 2007, 09:22   #97

Town: Haverfordwest
Boat name: Nenya
Make: Tornado 5.1
Engine: Mercury 60hp
MMSI: 235051491
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
The law is black and white, it has to be to counter smart lawyers, are you suggesting discretion on the part of the Officer?

We break the law almost every time we drive a car, from hard rubbers on your wipers to variances in tyre pressures, (dozens of things) so naturally a traffic car could charge you with something if they really looked for it. Luckily they donít, itís a balancing act on their part, but the threat is there.
Yes I am suggesting that discretion could be employed, if we look at the case of the Cowes ribbers, as has already been pointed out, I would personally have considered it preferable for the helmsman to have sobered up somewhere other than A&E, the police had warned him that he was in no condition to leave port but were powerless to stop him.
You appear to be suggesting that traffc police use discretion with drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBWET View Post
Instead of addressing the majority, address the minority; if someone dies because of this issue, itís premeditated; the appropriate charge should apply.
Addressing the minority is precisely what I'm suggesting. I believe it is very much the minority that would be drunk in charge. Do you think that waiting for someone to die before any charge can be brought is acceptable?
Old 16 August 2007, 12:25   #98

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Yoda & Obi Wan
Make: Valiant 750 & XS600
Length: 7m +
Engine: 150, 115 HP
MMSI: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorper View Post
I've not been able to get an answer on this one from the anti crowd yet
I would suggest we all have to take reponsibility for our actions, regardless of drink, penalty for harming somone else due to your negligence should be the same.

I dont think that any of the members who are anti legislation advocate drink boating, we are not all planning to drive around plastered. I suspect most like me do not want to see the boating part of society policed and HSE led like so many other parts of society.

So many leisure users actually sleep on their boats that anti drink laws would effectivly prevent them from drinking in their own home when entertaining guests in the evening. We dont want to see a governemnet who has no understanding of leisure boating cast blankets laws on us that have been copied from the roads. I do not want to pay for the policing of a system that many of us believe is unnecassary and I dread to think what would follow after the drink laws.

Coastal waters and roads are very different, they feature different problems and should not be treated in the same way. What is good for one is unlikely to be good for the other. We need to think outside the box. Replicating road laws at sea is wholly inappropraite
tel - 02380 231122
Doug Stormforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2007, 12:43   #99

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Spot on Doug
Old 16 August 2007, 12:46   #100

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Niam-ho
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki DF250
MMSI: 235040417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Stormforce View Post
I would suggest we all have to take reponsibility for our actions, regardless of drink, penalty for harming somone else due to your negligence should be the same.

I dont think that any of the members who are anti legislation advocate drink boating, we are not all planning to drive around plastered. I suspect most like me do not want to see the boating part of society policed and HSE led like so many other parts of society.

So many leisure users actually sleep on their boats that anti drink laws would effectivly prevent them from drinking in their own home when entertaining guests in the evening. We dont want to see a governemnet who has no understanding of leisure boating cast blankets laws on us that have been copied from the roads. I do not want to pay for the policing of a system that many of us believe is unnecassary and I dread to think what would follow after the drink laws.

Coastal waters and roads are very different, they feature different problems and should not be treated in the same way. What is good for one is unlikely to be good for the other. We need to think outside the box. Replicating road laws at sea is wholly inappropraite

So what would be a more appropiate solution Doug?

I actually agree with you in principle about individuals taking responsibility for their own actions. Arrangements of this nature are fine for people like you and me - we know our limits (and don't experiment with them whilst in charge of a 250hp boat with 8 people on board) and have experience of seeing the horrific consequences when others get it wrong. However, not everyone operates like this and therein lies the problem. Some people just are not responsible enough to consider factors like these and act accordingly - and it's quite tricky to persuade them to act appropriately, without having to resort to using legislation and enforcement of it to force them to do so.