Old 24 October 2006, 19:22   #1

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Should it be wet?

The boat's now out the water and I decided I ought to fit the bilge drain plug that I'd been meaning to do for ages.

So I got my hole cutter out and started drilling. I was pleased to find a good half inch of fibreglass on the outer face of the transom (better than my previous hull..... good ol prosport!) but then complacency turned to misery when about half a cupfull of smelly water poured out. This was before I'd even made it though to the other side.

So the question is...... where did it come from and should I be worried. And how do I dry it out? Pictures attached for general info. I'm assuming water must have seeped into the transom and is now trapped between wood and grp somewhere. There's no damage on the hull and no obvious breaches inside either. And there was no way I was going to taste it to find out if it was salty or not, it stank.

Keith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	transom.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	22788   Click image for larger version

Name:	bilge.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	22789   Click image for larger version

Name:	core.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	22790  
Old 25 October 2006, 02:18   #2

Town: Punta gorda Fl.
Boat name: War Machine
Make: Falcon U.S.A.
Length: 9m +
Engine: twin 250 Yamaha
The inboard side of your transom plug does not appear to have much glass covering it, is that correct?
Old 25 October 2006, 04:07   #3

Town: Anchorage
Boat name: Trojan
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Twin Yamaha 70's
transom

From the looks of it the transom plywood has been water through the layers for a while. i wouldn't worry about this to the extreme, but if you have a heated garage, or live in a warm area (I didn't catch where you live), let it dry for as long as you can (you can even put a few 5000 watt lamps facing it, but dont cook it). After it is dry as you have time for, look for and make sure the engine mount holes are sealed, any other holes near the transom on or near the transom are sealed, and check all areas for compromised gel coat and make sure to seal them as well.

I use a good quality silicone for sealing around engine mount bolts and depth finder attachments. (I usually fill the hole with silicone before I instert the screw for depth finder attachments). Just make sure you clean the area with solvent (Rubbing alcohol, Toulene, MEK, or naptha will all work) then put it on and smear it. For sealing around the drain plug hole I would use a waterproof epoxy resin, this can be applied on the compromised gel coat as well.
Hope this helps,
Jimmy
Old 25 October 2006, 14:59   #4

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately the boat lives outside so it could take quite a while to dry out. I may try and rig up some sort of sheeting to make a mini greenhouse to speed things up a little.