Old 31 May 2016, 21:03   #1

Town: Bournemouth
Length: 6m +
Sea Start

Hi, does anyone ever seen a discount code anywhere for Sea Start? I'm considering joining up for peace of mind - but a bit put off by the price. I've never had a problem since I started ribbing - now have a 7.5 Scorpion.
Old 31 May 2016, 21:24   #2

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Sea Start is worth every pound and it is not your Scorpion 7.5 that may need assistance but your engine
Old 31 May 2016, 21:40   #3

Town: Plymouth
Boat name: HAPPY NOW
Make: Cobra
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 350
Are you really saying that you can not afford less than £3 per week. Why not do 2 miles less and the fuel saving will pay your Sea Start
Old 31 May 2016, 23:49   #4

Town: Derry/Southampton
Boat name: Jumpin Jack
Make: Redbay
Engine: Mercury 200 Opti
I joined sea start this season. New boat, engine history unknown to me.
Second trip out, me and the kids, engine died.....
Anchored and phoned sea start. There within 20 mins.
He got me going again, at reduced power but able to get home.
Superb service, and worth every penny and a hell of a lot handier than an Auxiliary engine.
Ps if you get a member to recommend you, both of you receive a pair of boat show tickets- a decent discount?
Old 01 June 2016, 07:47   #5

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
is sea start nation wide or just south coast ?
Old 01 June 2016, 07:55   #6
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
is sea start nation wide or just south coast ?
No, a limited area only, Solent and some other places but definitely not everywhere. There was someone doing a similar thing in the clyde but I think it has closed.
Old 01 June 2016, 08:07   #7

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
No, a limited area only, Solent and some other places but definitely not everywhere. There was someone doing a similar thing in the clyde but I think it has closed.
cheers poly shame though great idea.
Old 01 June 2016, 12:08   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Is seastart a franchise or is that just the name of the outfit in the solent?
What does it cover is it 24/7 365 or seasonal and only daytime?
Old 01 June 2016, 12:28   #9

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Sea Start is 24/7

see : Marine Breakdown Assistance by Sea Start
Old 01 June 2016, 12:29   #10

Town: Leicester
Length: 5m +
Engine: 135hp Mercury
Their website, showing areas covered etc:
Area of Coverage | Sea Start

Whilst they may be a lot cheaper than buying and fitting an auxiliary - providing you have enough transom room - I can't go along with the 'hell of a lot handier than an auxiliary' as with one of those you still have propulsion & can get yourself out of the sh1t esp as engines often decide to break down at the worst possible moment.
Old 01 June 2016, 14:16   #11

Town: South West
Boat name: SR Adventure 4.7
Length: under 3m
Bugger, West bay & lyme not covered :-(

Old 03 June 2016, 07:22   #12

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
You should look as SeaStart membership as part of your insurance costs. You will only have to use it once and it will have paid for itself. SeaStart provide great service at a very reasonable cost. It us a cost that I gladly bear. I have not used them now for a number of years, but I know they are there if I need them. They also will come to your berth.
Old 03 June 2016, 20:34   #13

Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Outstanding service and worth every penny.
Old 03 June 2016, 20:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solent Ranger View Post
You should look as SeaStart membership as part of your insurance costs. You will only have to use it once and it will have paid for itself. SeaStart provide great service at a very reasonable cost. It us a cost that I gladly bear. I have not used them now for a number of years, but I know they are there if I need them. They also will come to your berth.
Not suggesting this applies to you, but do you think for some it means they take risks with faults because they have a get out of jail for free card? How do people who aren't at the bottom of the country survive?
Old 04 June 2016, 04:27   #15

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Darwin
Make: Ribeye
Engine: 150hp Yamaha
RIBase
So does the same apply for those that join the AA, RAC or Greenflag? Most who go to sea don't take risks! Those that do, don't join! I see people all the time who buy cheap boats and end up in trouble. Just recently I had a couple who wanted to do a PB2 course, they bought a boat, never tested it or even ran it up prior to bringing it down and guess what? It didn't work. They last their money!
Old 04 June 2016, 08:13   #16

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
So does the same apply for those that join the AA, RAC or Greenflag? Most who go to sea don't take risks! Those that do, don't join! I see people all the time who buy cheap boats and end up in trouble. Just recently I had a couple who wanted to do a PB2 course, they bought a boat, never tested it or even ran it up prior to bringing it down and guess what? It didn't work. They last their money!
Yes it does 25 years running a garage the no of times I've heard "well I'm in the rac if it breaks down I'll still get home"
And many who do go to sea do take risks particularly raggies who think it's OK I'll put the sails up if the engine dies! when in reality they can only sail if the winds in the right direction
Old 04 June 2016, 09:59   #17

Quote:
So does the same apply for those that join the AA, RAC or Greenflag?
I can think of a few occasions that I've either started a journey or carried on with a journey where I had an engine issue knowing if I 'died' I'd be OK because I could call the men in yellow/orange/green depending who I was with at the time. I don't **think** I've consciously or unconsciously skimped on maintenance. Some examples:

Travelling 250mile journey to visit family. About 60miles in stopped for fuel. Dark rainy night. Car wouldn't restart. Britannia called, attended restarted but told me alternator was dodgy (I'd had to replace a belt a few weeks before so it didn't seem too crazy a possibility that the belt had failed because alt was failing. He promised the belt was as tight as possible). He said carry on (I only had local recovery at the time), don't turn the engine off and if it fails again call us back and we will probably have to recover to a garage and get new alternator next day. The safest thing to do would either have been to find a hotel near there and sort it in the morning or to go back home (60 miles instead of 190miles) and sort once home. I pressed on. 50miles later it failed while driving and I lost all lights on the M74 in driving rain in pitch black. That was dangerous! Had to stop as hard shoulder was conned off so couldn't crawl to a services along hard shoulder. Recovered to garage - he actually fixed it (belt had stretched, alt was fine). That one strikes me most as being the kind of thing that can go wrong with boats and do you stay in a distant marina or press on home. This was before it was trendy to get out the car, stand behind the barrier etc on the hard-shoulder. I can tell you I had no plans on staying in the car with no lights on it.

Another time I put about 10litres of petrol in a diesel before spotting that both pump handles were green and I'd picked up the wrong one. My cover didn't cover wrong fuelling so I decided to top it off with diesel and risk it. Got away with it, but did it in the knowledge I had cover that would take it to a garage for me if need be.

And the other time I can think of is when I had an ECU fault. Lots of trial and error fixing attempts. It was one of those faults that needed the engine hot, and it would just drop to limp home mode. I drove it like that for 3 weeks and went to limp a few times. But I knew if it died completely I could get recovered.
Quote:
Most who go to sea don't take risks! Those that do, don't join!
But I don't think that applies on the road - does it?
Yes the complete numpties who drive without insurance, tax, MOT etc probably don't shell out to green flag either.
But I suspect most people have some plan of who they call if something breaks.
Quote:
Just recently I had a couple who wanted to do a PB2 course, they bought a boat, never tested it or even ran it up prior to bringing it down and guess what? It didn't work.
Well if you've not worked out that you can run it in a bucket then you assume you need to test it in water so take it to the sea. Apart from blocking the slipway if you never get it started what harm does it do. My first car was bought from Auction. £330 well spent on a Fiat Panda. I could see the engine ran. I couldn't drive it myself, I had no idea if brakes or anything other than first gear worked.

I didn't take out breakdown cover for it until about a month later because I was only driving it in my local city on 30MPH roads and if it broke I'd get a bus like I had for the 20 years before, and get my dad who is a mechanical engineer to come and take a look at it. When I started doing 100miles on Motorway I got cover.

I want to stress - I'm not knocking Sea Start. If I was on the South Coast I may well have cover. I just wonder what it does to the Psyche of the boat owner in terms of faults they will accept when going out. Also curious what happens when they get a fault 6miles out. While RNLI would never be my preferred option in a minor tech fault, it feels like they have fuller cover both around the coast and distance off shore. So would I be better putting my money there, and have a small aux? I realise that wont get me started when leaving marina etc... and I wont leave on aux alone.
Old 04 June 2016, 11:13   #18

Town: Bournemouth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpinjack View Post
I joined sea start this season. New boat, engine history unknown to me.
Second trip out, me and the kids, engine died.....
Anchored and phoned sea start. There within 20 mins.
He got me going again, at reduced power but able to get home.
Superb service, and worth every penny and a hell of a lot handier than an Auxiliary engine.
Ps if you get a member to recommend you, both of you receive a pair of boat show tickets- a decent discount?
Thanks for all the helpful responses and for the tip about the boat show - anyone want to recommend me?