Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 13 May 2008, 15:50   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 36
Scottish Series

So as not to hijack another thread.
There seems to be 1 or 2 of us going to the Scottish Series. Have established there is no fuel at Portavadie Marina.
Looking at the berthing plan at Tarbet there seems to be refuelling pontoons(one for RIBS) now does that mean lugging fuel onto the pontoon or will they have a pump there?
Have asked Clyde Cruising Club...the Organisers...but awaiting a reply
__________________

__________________
Sailshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2008, 16:59   #2
K&S
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 377
Hi, Im affraid this is my first time so can't help.
Would be interested to hear CC's answer if you dont't mind posting.
Many thanks,
Kim
__________________

__________________
K&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 02:16   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by K&S View Post
Hi, Im affraid this is my first time so can't help.
Would be interested to hear CC's answer if you dont't mind posting.
Many thanks,
Kim
Yes I will post on here as soon as I here
S
__________________
Sailshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 04:06   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshots View Post
So as not to hijack another thread.
There seems to be 1 or 2 of us going to the Scottish Series. Have established there is no fuel at Portavadie Marina.
Looking at the berthing plan at Tarbet there seems to be refuelling pontoons(one for RIBS) now does that mean lugging fuel onto the pontoon or will they have a pump there?
Have asked Clyde Cruising Club...the Organisers...but awaiting a reply
I thnk that it will just be a designated refuelling area as in previous years, you will still need to lug the cans from the pertrol station- on the opposite side of the harbour from the refuelling area!!!
Andy
__________________
Hard or Soft it's never BIG enough
Andy Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 06:25   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,962
Aren't there steps down to the water's edge across the road from the petrol station? I think they dry out though at lower tide.
__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 07:36   #6
K&S
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
Aren't there steps down to the water's edge across the road from the petrol station? I think they dry out though at lower tide.
Yes your right, last time we were there we used the steps at high water (springs) with no problems. I'm guessing that the would only really be of use at HW +/- 1 hour unless someone else can say otherwise.

I'm also guessing that given the amount of boats that will be there accesss to the steps might not be easy / possible?
__________________
K&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 10:07   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Inverkip
Make: Redbay 11m Cabin
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x Yamaha422Sti 275
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 567
You shouldnt have a problem getting to the steps. Cant comment on depths though as I have never used them but do know that the whole bay is getting worse every year with silting.
Andy
__________________
Hard or Soft it's never BIG enough
Andy Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 16:17   #8
JIY
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Largs
Boat name: Spitfire
Make: XS850
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x 200 Verado
MMSI: 235905304
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 174
The steps are useable, but most definitely not at all stages of the tide. I'm sure that it is possible to get in there in a RIB more than +1/-1 HW, but I would recommend that anyone thinking of using the steps first have a look at the depth from the shore.

It is probably worth mentioning that the bottom is rocky and will not be kind to propellers!

Oh, and last time I was there the garage had a wheelbarrow that could be borrowed to transfer fuel cans (very useful when filling 2 Quinquari humbers with 16 jerry cans!).
__________________
JIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2008, 17:51   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: London
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gee View Post
I thnk that it will just be a designated refuelling area as in previous years, you will still need to lug the cans from the pertrol station- on the opposite side of the harbour from the refuelling area!!!
Andy
Andy you are quite correct that is the procedure confirmed by the Organisers
Steve
__________________
Sailshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2008, 12:35   #10
K&S
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Glasgow
Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 377
Thanks for letting us know - guess i will be filling the boat to the brim and carrying some plastic cans.
Thanks again
Kim
__________________

__________________
K&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.