Boat name: Emperor
Make: Scorpion
Length: 7m +
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 200hp
Send a message via MSN to Millermob
Scorpion sting launch

According to the scorpion website the sting has been launched:

http://www.scorpion-ribs.co.uk/news

It looks good, however, I can't really see the extent to which it is a development on the previous cruiser model?
Old 09 April 2008, 08:08   #2

Town: Woldingham
Boat name: Black Gold
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 300 XS
Sting Sighted

Thanks for the link. I saw it in Lymington last week where it was doing its first trials. Not sure how different it is but I guess it has lots of small improvements over the previous version - a typical Scorpion approach which has a lot to recommend it. My friend wanted one until I told him how much it was!

Gavin

www.rib-racers.com
Old 15 April 2008, 22:56   #3

Town: Reading
Make: None
Length: under 3m
This is from a press release issued on behalf of Scorpion:

"So what’s different about the Sting?

The differences between the new ‘Sting’ when compared with her predecessors is that Scorpion is adding a whole raft of upgrades where such upgrades actually make a difference to the Scorpion ‘experience’ for the owner and/or driver and their family rather than being mere cosmetic ‘tweaks’. Lest we forget amongst the list of racing and endurance achievements and awards, this is, after all, Scorpion’s flagship family cruising boat.

One expects to inherit a superb design, exquisite craftsmanship and excellent handling when you become a Scorpion owner first and second-hand. Whilst the construction and hull design requires no tweaking from the original masterpiece, the team at Scorpion are providing a number of innovations to the quality and design of certain key design components e.g. the windscreen, the cockpit seating, the cabin upholstery and accommodation, adding durability, security and comfort to an already long list of tick marks.

With the ‘Sting’, you will also get some great new features including a lockable door to the cabin that will be fully lined and boast Alcantara upholstery; a new curved windscreen that is a higher spec overall, and provides even more protection than in previous models.

When it comes to adding comfort and safety in the cockpit, where once they were ‘bolsters’, now Scorpion is adding sport-styled seating that is electronically controlled to adjust to the right height just for you, as Jelley puts it so succinctly, “people are getting taller”.

In the cabin, there is the addition of a twin or double berth, recessed overhead lighting and flexi-teak flooring whilst in the Galley, there is a new Ceramic hob and cabin heater under an opening worktop."

Anyone got a spare couple of hundred grand lying around that they want to donate to a very worthy cause? (Me!)
Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 April 2008, 10:58   #4

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
You're winding me up...my fingers are itching but I'm using them to drink tea instead.
Old 16 April 2008, 13:56   #5

Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise View Post
This is from a press release issued on behalf of Scorpion:

"So what’s different about the Sting?

When it comes to adding comfort and safety in the cockpit, where once they were ‘bolsters’, now Scorpion is adding sport-styled seating that is electronically controlled to adjust to the right height just for you, as Jelley puts it so succinctly, “people are getting taller”.

I played about with different designs for my Bolsters and was going to try and incorporate adjustable height but .......playing with renders and in cad i couldnt get something that would adequately support a a 200lb weight without twisting ....i looked at ballscrews and hydraulics but were too cumbersome to incorporate so i will be looking to see how he's done this.

I got too see my seats at the upholsterers today ...nearly done ...due for pickup on Monday/Tuesday ....I must say they are looking the mutts. the bother with working away and saying to people i'm not in a hurry is they tend to forget dates and when i come by for pickup its not done or not right.

roll on the 23rd ...pickup from Henshaws

I
Old 17 April 2008, 09:52   #6

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
There are one or two different designs for those adjustable seats - have a look on the US sites and you'll find what you're looking for.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2008, 07:51   #7

Town: Shotts
Boat name: Shakespeare's Play
Make: shakespeare
Engine: 250hp Verado
MMSI: 235066167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
There are one or two different designs for those adjustable seats - have a look on the US sites and you'll find what you're looking for.
cheers John ...I looked at PPL, mcleod (expensive)and loads of others but scorp ones are done inhouse...I am just interested to see how he has overcome the vari-height setup. I could have done them but i wasnt 100% convinced my designs were breakproof but marine seat designing is all new for me

My bolsters are twin electrohydraulic flip up .....I incorporated a locking bar with built in sensors so they wont operate with the lock in place and also quick release in case of power failure/fault ....I designed them so that everything is inbuilt into the seat ...I dropped the headrest cloths off at the upholsterers yesterday after getting the logos sewn in and i cant wait to get them now...chuffed to bits with the look so far....looks like i'll have to build a second set now........even Mrs DL was impressed and that takes a bit..............I spent 2 years on 2 skew mouth planes and sold them to a califonian for a fortune and she just said acchh more bloody planes...

I
Old 25 April 2008, 21:58   #8

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Engine: 2 x coal burners
We were fortunate enough to take her out for a play in the Solent today...

I want one

See you at Ribex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0312 (Small).JPG
Views:	292
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	34323   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0204 (Small).JPG
Views:	439
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	34324   Click image for larger version