keg

Town: Leeds
Boat name: Searider SR4
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: 55HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
I've never bought anything that expensive on fleabay. the most I've done is about 1k. I usually offer not to pay the whole amount by paypal to avoid them having fees, but to let them know I'm serious to make a deposit to their paypal account - a depsit would never need to be more than 100 in my view. If I don't turn up to collect I loose 100. Enough to make sure I'm serious, not enough to excite the vendor. Paid via PP to give me protection.

The most common scam seems to be centred around a boat(or other high cost item) that was owned by a husband now deceased, divorced or whatever. That means the wife can only answer easy questions like is it orange! She has moved away to be with the dying grandmother so the boat is not with her, she can't show you it and its usually in an inconvenient place (like Inverness) so it would be hard for most people to go there and see it. As soon as you say you have a man in Inverness who can have a look for you the conversation will come to an end!

However, she can make your life easy. She will get the boat brought to you after you pay her. You have X days to review it and if you aren't 100% satisfied [the imaginary men who brought the imaginary boat] will take it away for full refund. Seems to big up the PayPal Buyer Protection. Not quite sure how they scam round the PP part...?

Once you know this any boat listed the first question you have should be "Can I view it, or can i get a friend who lives near xyz to view it" No cash changes hands till the boat is seen.

Even then there are some on here with horror stories of being sold someone elses boat only to get a knock on the door later from Mr Policeman asking why you towed someone elses boat away...
Yup, has this happen several times when i was looking, boat always seemed good value when i googled make, model and year.

I exchanged e-mails with most of them then as soon as i asked if i could come and see it, they went silent.

Finally bought my SR4 off here and it was even better than the seller had specified.

Old 04 August 2014, 19:32   #32

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
See the same seller has just listed an "attractive" buy again... John Deere compact tractor... John Deere Compact 3036 Tractor | eBay

Old 04 August 2014, 19:42   #33

Town: south west
Length: under 3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
See the same seller has just listed an "attractive" buy again... John Deere compact tractor... John Deere Compact 3036 Tractor | eBay
registerd ebayer since 2005 ? weird one for a scammer
although the ad is worded as if it was cut from a usa sales leaflet
Old 04 August 2014, 20:01   #34

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki df200
these people on ebay use hacked accounts, they look for accounts that have had little/no activity and target it, normally through a form of social engineering and perseverance.

google hacked ebay account and see for yourself.

anyways, i do hope you get your money back but i wouldn't hold out hope for it.

cheers
Old 04 August 2014, 20:02   #35

Town: Burwash, East Sussex
Make: BWM Deepsea 21
Engine: Suzuki DF140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
Everyone click the "report item" link just above the item number.
Select "Listing practices" then "fraudulent item".
If ebay get enought independent complaints they will remove the item.
Lets make this Scumbags life difficult.
Old 04 August 2014, 20:15   #36

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Suzuki df200
i have already reported it but he will have another 50 names to login with is the reality of the matter i'd think :-(

ebay can fix this by deleting accounts not used in X days. whether it be bids or login attempts but the sad fact is they say they care but it all counts as hits for them to push up their advertising revenue, scam or not.

maybe one day our stupid EU law makers will force companies like ebay to delete accounts after X days if no bids or something along those lines.

cheers
Old 05 August 2014, 02:03   #37

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 60hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Another scam that's ended, this time for a golf buggy.
Golf Buggy Club Car Petrol Model | eBay
Old 05 August 2014, 02:24   #38

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
Really sorry you were had, I can't imagine him getting away with it if he is the UK.

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would transfer 1k to someone they don't know for a boat they've not seen, sorry to be harsh but if something is too good to be try then is probably is. Many people on here who have advertised boats for sale have had their ads re posted by scammers and those that haven't have sat and wondered what was wrong with theirs!

Hope you get your money back, I lost a 40 payapl payment 8 years ago, not the money but the fact I was had still really irritates me.
Old 05 August 2014, 04:34   #39

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
Even when you do your homework you can still get caught !!

That terwat Dan Cooper had 1600 of my money for 6 months before I got it back. He was on eBay Apollo Duck big website all the talk and still trading now under various guises ........

I think this forum does a lot to help avoid the scammers and one of the best bits of advice is to suggest somebody will come & inspect the item. That usually ends the conversation if it's not legit. Frustrating how the sites seem so disinterested in policing their adverts.
Old 05 August 2014, 05:02   #40
RIBnet supporter

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_C View Post
. I am bummed for you ........
No greater love hath any man......... That's some sacrifice Pete

Seriously, I have a personal 100 ebay limit on any single item from a single seller at any one time.
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4: See rule#5
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote