Old 03 December 2002, 16:05   #1

Town: Bromley, Kent
Make: GS209
Length: 6.137
Engine: 4.3ltr 210hp Volvo Penta
Safety Equipment

www.allgadgets.co.uk

I looked on the above site that Viking and Julian mentioned a while back and found what I felt were some great offers, I bought the following (ALL + VAT and less 3% if ordered on line)

ACR Mini B 300 EPIRB £85.06, this is the cheapest I have seen. I am aware of the limits to these EPIRB's as talked about on other threads, I listened to Alan P and for that price I felt it was worth it, don't know if Julian went for it. For info the same EPIRB is £142 on most of the other sites,

Pains Wessex White Collision Handflare Kit (Keg) £11.05
Pains Wessex Inshore Distress Kit (Blister pack) £8.50
(all flares expiry date is 12/04)

I found that the keg's are all the same, therefore it was a little cheaper to buy the Collision keg and then put the inshore distress flares from the blister pack in the same keg. Saved a couple of pounds on buying the Inshore distress keg (If you wanted distress flares, but the more the merrier I guess)

Pains Wessex Poly Bottle £12.72, this is a rather large waterproof flare keg that could be pretty useful in a RIB.

Oh! and by the way their XM lifejackets are £10 cheaper than anywhere I have seen, it includes a free personal kite radar reflector rescue kit! worth a supposed £24 ish, although still a bit dearer than the Lazilas Sigma's at 2 manual gas ones for £64.90 at www.windward-marine.com

Windward Marine have just started to sell an XM DSC Radio for £199.95 it can be seen on their site.

Hope this is useful,

Pete

P.S. allgadgets are going to be selling Typhoon 150N manual gas life jackets at stall 247A at the London Boat Show for under £30 incl VAT

and Seamark Nunn are doing a 7.5kg original Bruce anchor for £99 incl VAT (in the special offer section)
Old 03 December 2002, 17:02   #2

Boat name: Halcyon
Make: Redbay Exp Canopy
Length: 8m +
Engine: Yamaha ME422 240hp
Flanker,

A slight typo.......... web site should be www.allgadgets.co.uk and not .com
Old 03 December 2002, 17:09   #3

Thanks Rick I have changed it.

By the way the XM VHF radio is not shown on the Winward Marine web site mentioned but the order Code is B200034 in the catalogue (Due to be available at the end of Nov 2002 it states)

For info it is 10 memory, 10 weather channels, adjustable backlit display, water resistant, current drain 5.5amps @25W, built in speaker, S0239 antenna socket, active speaker mike, remote speaker cable, built in microphone, size 75x170x165mm

Does anyone know if you can link a hand held GPS to a DSC radio?

Pete
Old 03 December 2002, 21:52   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Quote:
Originally posted by Flanker
Does anyone know if you can link a hand held GPS to a DSC radio?
Don't see why not, so long as the GPS has a data output (not all have though). You would need to check the spec of the input to the radio, and possibly make up a cable to link them. Anyone know what GPS input a DSC radio takes?

John
Old 03 December 2002, 21:59   #5

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
I think there's a standard protocol that GPS recievers use to transfer data via their connection ports. Garmin GPS's have a number of different protocols you can use for data transfer, with the standard one being "NMEA" if I remember correctly. Would certainly surprise me if you COULDN'T connect a handheld GPS up to a DSC radio.

As usual, I could however be wrong!
Matt
Old 03 December 2002, 22:19   #6

I have an old Garmin GPS 45 and the newer Garmin E-map, I have the cables that connect both to my laptop, the Garmin cables are only sold in serial port configuration, you have to buy an adapter to link it to a USB port. I have the adapter, it is all a bit messy with wires but both work fine on the laptop using Microsoft Autoroute. I have seen some some software advertised that has charts for PC's and laptops, data can be transferred to a PDA which links to a GPS receiver. I guess the screen of a PDA would be a bit small to study the chart so I have not gone for this option.

I mention this as if my laptop works, then there should be no reason for the radio not to, but as it has been stated, there would need to be a connection from the serial port lead from the handheld GPS to whatever is on the radio. If the cost of the cables that I have bought from Garmin already is anything to go by, then I guess it will be quite expensive if it exists.

At the moment I feel a hanheld GPS will do the job for me, I already have a handheld VHF but from reading other threads a fixed VHF would be a bit better, and keep the handheld for emergencies. I have not gone for a basic VHF yet as I knew DSC would be getting cheaper, this may be an opportunity to upgrade to the DSC XM at £199, and not having to lay out for an expensive plotter at the moment. It seems pointless to get a DSC with no GPS attached.

Does anyone know who makes the XM radio for them, and if it is any good. I take it that the XM make is the brand XM as in the life jackets and all the other gear.

Pete
Old 03 December 2002, 22:27   #7

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
I have the Garmin eTrex basic handheld GPS. I was going to buy the Garmin data cable for it, but then saw the prices. The price they charge for a simple 3 wire data cable is ridiculous. So I ordered some ePlugs (Connectors for the eTrex end of the cable) and once I get the rest of the stuff, I'm making the cable myself. If you can find the right connector to connect to the DSC VHF, and can find information on the correct wiring, then you could easily make your own cable, at a tiny fraction of the cost of a retail one. Be warned however that if anything happens to the GPS unit due to something being wrong with your DIY cable, Garmin probably won't help you out under warranty conditions.

Matt
Old 03 December 2002, 22:37   #8

Narked, thanks for that. I must say that if I was going to all the bother of getting a DSC radio, I would want to know that it would work when needed, knowing my luck if I bodged a plug together, the time I needed it it may not work. I will speak with Garmin tomorrow and see what they say, I am sure others will need to know what connections are needed now these radios are becoming more accessible price wise to most if us.

Cheers,

Pete
Old 05 December 2002, 14:23   #9

Town: Wokingham
Make: N/A
Length: N/A
Engine: N/A
Thanks for the recomendation! Just a note about the radio. We will probably stock it when it finally arrives, it is claimed to be full DSC and it is ground breaking because of the sub £200 price.

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet but I'm told it has no keypad, so entering numbers must be by up>down and enter which may take the shine off it a bit.

Nasa have responded to its arrival by a drop in their wholesale prices and we will be selling the SX35 below £230 by the boat show, maybe before. Some old stock has to go first. It's probably worth the extra although, as I said, I haven't been up close and personal with the XM one.
Old 05 December 2002, 16:22   #10

Gadget,

You are jumping the gun, I haven't recommended you yet! I just detailed some of your special prices, as well as others. Your service and efficiency have been excellent so far, as you despatched my purchases yesterday (and kindly e-mailed to say so) I would be expecting it tomorrow or Monday with the standard post / courier option (re the fireworks). IF the goods are as detailed and not second hand or bashed, I will report to the forum and recommend you. If you have sent a load of old out of date tosh, I will report that. I am sure the goods are OK, but I don't think or hope I will ever have to test out the Mini B!!

Great personal and efficient service from Gadget so far

Pete
Old 05 December 2002, 16:40   #11

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Length: 9m +
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Gadget GREAT SITE!!

Had a look @ your site.
Looks great and prices are good
In the coming season I will be purchasing some staff from you.
The only constructive critisisim is that (if you can keep those good prices) to add a few more things if you can.

Cheers
Manos

PS waiting to see what Flanker will have to say
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 December 2002, 16:42   #12

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Quote:
Gadget,
You are jumping the gun, I haven't recommended you yet!
Sigh...'ere we go again. Are we off on another of your tirades, Flanker? You sure have a knack of winding people up, y'know.
Old 05 December 2002, 16:49   #13

Mike,

I am a reformed person after s few weeks in a sunny climate on holiday, gadget will confirm that I sent him an e-mail at the same time to tell him what I had said and that I was just joking.

I was surprised that he had found the site as I mentioned it when I was buying my stuff. Anyway one more member for John, and I good one if he performs as he advertises and useful for info on the latest stuff.

I spoke to him on the phone yesterday, he is a very nice guy IMHO. (or have I spoken too soon)

Don't worry, the old Flanker has gone. But I can't recommend people without reporting on the full service.

Pete
Old 05 December 2002, 16:53   #14

Town: Poole
Length: no boat
I would be a bit concerned that Manos is looking to purchase some "staff" from the web site.

I've heard about this sort of thing!!

What's the going rate ?

Regards

Mark
Old 05 December 2002, 16:55   #15

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Mark

Gadget has 'THE STAFF' and he only knows 'THE PRICE'
Ask him or better visit his site

LOLOL
Old 05 December 2002, 16:57   #16

Mark,

I think you will find 'Staff' under 'special offers on the gadget site

They pump up your tubes (good for SIBS), wash and clean the Rib after use and prepare warm drinks in the winter

Pete
Old 05 December 2002, 16:58   #17

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Quote:
Mike, I am a reformed person
Pete
Good for you. Time will, no doubt, tell...
Old 05 December 2002, 17:08   #18

I can't wait!
Old 05 December 2002, 17:14   #19

Yes I do need a wider range, the problems called cash. I have tended to buy large quantities of a small range to get the deals, but if I bought 5 of everything rather than hundreds I'd have a better offering, but at the cost of higher prices.

I was asked for five items by someone yesterday and couldn't supply any! I am aware of my shortfalls! On the other hand there's a compass bino on the site that I buy 250 at a time from the Far East, you can find the same Bino on Pumpkin and Mailspeed for £119.95 (purchased by them from a distributor), and £94.95 from me. It neatly explains the benefits but also the problem.
Old 05 December 2002, 17:23   #20

gadget

I appreciate what you say and could not agree more (about the availiable cash etc).
I was merely making a suggestion.
But as I said your prices are VERY GOOD for the European Market and as I have my BD on Monday I will be asking my wife, relatives and friends to visit your site and order some 'STAFF'
1. the brilian binoculars Century seapro,
2. the LSI RC1100 light
and a few smaller things.

.......... see Mike LOLOL I'm already making shore that I'll get the 'STAFF' ;p

Cheers