Old 15 May 2007, 18:24   #1

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
RYA First Aid Course

Well today I did a course that I guess a lot of us wouldn't consider doing. Powerboat 1 and 2 and VHF seem a bit of a necessity, one giving you the very basic boat handling skills and the other being a legal requirement if you want to use VHF.
I did the RYA First Aid Course because I shall be doing my RYA Advanced Power Boat Course later this year and the First Aid is a pre requisite.
I would like to thank David Manning of '1st Wave Power Boat training' for running a course that I found very informative and along with the practical scenarios good training for what you hope will never happen when your around. David knows this subject back to front, it was his job for many years, and is able to put even the technical stuff across in a way even I could understand. I now know my Acute Myocardial Infarction from my Hypovolaemic Shock.
Once again many thanks Dave for a thought provoking day.

PS. I'm glad no one had a camera when I was bandaged up like a mummy.
Old 17 May 2007, 14:54   #2

Town: Towcester
Boat name: TBA
Make: Delta
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzuki 175
commercial endorsement

Hi

Is there any compatability in first aid courses?
what am trying to avoid is taking one for work (nominated 1st aider) and then a seperate RYA one for the commercial endorsement.

Does any one know if any non RYA First Aid Qualification is acceptable for the endorsement.
thanks
Paul
Old 17 May 2007, 15:28   #3

The RYA Small Craft First Aid is recognised by the HSE, in line with their 1 day Appointed Persons course.

It's slightly in excess of Appointed Persons, as it covers Hypothermia, Hyperthermia, and I think a couple of other bits (off the top of my head), so the HSE Appointed Persons isn't sufficient for Commercial Endorsements.

HSE First Aid at Work (The 4 day course) would be acceptable for a Commercial Endorsement.
Old 17 May 2007, 16:41   #4

Town: Bala
Length: no boat
The only First Aid course that the HSE recognise is the 4-day "First Aid at Work" course. Nothing else.

To be a nominated "Appointed Person" at work, you are not required to have any form of training. The one day "Appointed Persons" course that is offered by virtually every First Aid training company out there carries no recognition or acceptance by the HSE. Any company who advertises otherwise will be stamped on very hard by the HSE.

The AP course is simply a very effective method at cashing in on employers concerns, and it's a very good course - but it is NOT recognised or accredited or approved by the HSE.

A well run First Aid at Work course or Appointed Persons course will reflect the work environment for that group. A course run for people working at a chemical factory, or a chip factory is going to have a different focus to one run for people working in a library. Simply due to the nature of the injuries that are likely.

There is no set syllabus for the Appointed Persons course, although the vast majority of them are broadly the same - but to say "it doesn't cover X Y Z" is not accurate. Hypothermia and Hyperthermia are both covered briefly on the one-day courses that I deliver, if it is appropriate to the work environment.

Only the 4-day "First Aid at Work" course has a set syllabus, and even then there is still scope for the focus to be adjusted to accommodate certain work environments.

If the RYA want to market their First Aid course as being acceptable as an Appointed Persons course, that is fine. But to suggest that it is accredited/approved/recognised by the HSE is absolutely wrong.

As for what the RYA accept as prior learning, I've no idea.

Cheers,
WMM
Old 17 May 2007, 18:26   #5

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Beaurain View Post
Hi

what am trying to avoid is taking one for work (nominated 1st aider) and then a seperate RYA one for the commercial endorsement.

Does any one know if any non RYA First Aid Qualification is acceptable for the endorsement.
thanks
Paul
STCW 95 First Aid Courses
RLSS UK Life Support 3
BSAC Diver First Aid
HSE FAW 4 day course if the other elements such as drowning and paediatric protocols and Hypo and Hyperthermia have been covered
RYA First Aid at Sea .(Probably your best bet as we talk about Helicopter transfers and what type of DSC call you would make to cover different types of Medical Emergencies)
As Whiteminman has already stated the Emergency First Aid at Work is NOT recognised by HSE
Old 17 May 2007, 21:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteminiman View Post
The only First Aid course that the HSE recognise is the 4-day "First Aid at Work" course. Nothing else.
My apologies for providing duff information. I'll have to go back to my instructor and quiz her more thoroughly!
Old 19 May 2007, 22:34   #7

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Beaurain View Post
Hi

thanks
Paul
Paul,

I have access to numerous First Aid Courses through work. But I could never get a definitive answer if any of them would be okay for the RYA PB Advanced. Therefore I decided to do the RYA one to save any complication. It is hopefully a means to an end.

NR.