Old 27 June 2007, 09:00   #1

Town: clyde
Boat name: searider
Make: avon
Length: 4m +
Rubbing strake for searider

Just recently bought an old 4.2m searider and am in the process of trying to do it up and would like to fit a new rubbing strake. Does anyone know where I can find it at a reasonable price?

Iam also looking for a longshaft engine with controls and steering but dont want to spend a fortune as the boat didnt cost much and is in need of quite a bit of work. Any other bits and pieces like valves,paddles.lifejackets,anchor etc would also be useful.

This is my first rib but am beginning to find out that buying the boat was the cheap part!!! Ive already got some new original searider grab handles and got some flexithane paint so am hoping it will look not too bad:-)
Old 27 June 2007, 09:59   #2
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Polymarine rubbing strake

Do the tubes really need painting or just cleaning?

Congrats on buying the best 4m going

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 10:24   #3

Hi Thanks for my first reply! Ive checked out most of the companies on the net but it would work out to be more expensive for a new rubbing strake than the searider cost me! Ive seen some large d moulding strake on ebay but again its well expensive although it would make a hell of a difference to the appearence.

Unfortunately the tubes have been painted some years ago so I'll have to go with it as I dont fancy spending the rest of my life trying to get it off with toluene. Hopefully the new handles along with a new strake and fender ropes should set it off. Iam also on the look out for some of the older a7 valves as its still got the ancient rubber plug ones.

The largest task ive taken on so far is some open surgery through the seam to repair one of the internal baffles which surprisingly went well and is holding air in each individual chamber now which will make it a much safer boat. I must confess not my own work - mostly done by my brother who used to do work repairing ribs for some of the biggest companies in the uk but is not that interested in boats but doesnt mind helping anyone out:-)
Old 27 June 2007, 10:49   #4
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDSR4 View Post
Hi Thanks for my first reply! Ive checked out most of the companies on the net but it would work out to be more expensive for a new rubbing strake than the searider cost me! Ive seen some large d moulding strake on ebay but again its well expensive although it would make a hell of a difference to the appearence.

Unfortunately the tubes have been painted some years ago so I'll have to go with it as I dont fancy spending the rest of my life trying to get it off with toluene. Hopefully the new handles along with a new strake and fender ropes should set it off. Iam also on the look out for some of the older a7 valves as its still got the ancient rubber plug ones.
Hi
Unfortunately I don't think there's a cheap option for rubbing strake-I couldn't find any cheap options to do with tubes apart from making new D-ring patches out of the component parts.
It might be worth looking for a new set of C7 valves-they aren't horribly expensive and they look a lot better than the A7
Quote:

The largest task ive taken on so far is some open surgery through the seam to repair one of the internal baffles which surprisingly went well and is holding air in each individual chamber now which will make it a much safer boat. I must confess not my own work - mostly done by my brother who used to do work repairing ribs for some of the biggest companies in the uk but is not that interested in boats but doesnt mind helping anyone out:-)
That's pretty major!

As for engines, I'd keep an eye on boatsandoutboards.co.uk or try grabbing an old mariner 40 from Ebay-for some reason they aren't making the same silly money as other engines at the moment and they are excellent lumps.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2007, 11:23   #5

Yes I may end up getting the new c7 valves as they are actually cheaper to buy new than the a7 ones. Iam beginning to sound like a skintflint here but its just that its an old boat and I dont want to end up spending more than its worth especially with the prices of engines at the moment. Iam hoping to get an engine for around 3 or 4 hundred but I dont fancy my chances going by the prices on ebay!

I could probably have got an older package including boat and engine for around a grand but its too late for that now and as its my first rib I dont want to spend a fortune as I know very little about engines.

Luckily my brother assures me that the rib ive bought is a good un considering its age - although it looks a bit tatty the fabric is quite strong and not porous. Weve also spent some time removing some of the outside patches and putting them on the inside of the tubes. Biggest expense so far has been the glue!lol....
Old 27 June 2007, 11:28   #6

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
You may be able to buy some rubbing strake from an industrial supplier - I have noticed something very similar around fridges and freezers in shops. Maybe you could salvage some from a unit being chucked out?

http://www.sovereign-rubber.co.uk/index.html

Also used on lorries etc.
Old 27 June 2007, 11:31   #7

Thanks for that I'll send them an email as some of the stuff looks very similar:-)
Old 27 June 2007, 11:41   #8

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Thanks for that I'll send them an email as some of the stuff looks very similar:-)
Don't mention a boat - say it's for your old Scania......
Old 27 June 2007, 17:03   #9

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Engine: Mercury 225
Quote:
Just recently bought an old 4.2m searider and am in the process of trying to do it up and would like to fit a new rubbing strake. )
We have off cuts left over from complete 50 metre rolls available in various lengths. Available in either black or grey and it is identical to the normal Searider rubbing strake. Let us know the length you need. Normal price is £9.57 plus VAT per metre, however off cuts sell for about 50%

www.henshaw.co.uk
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote