Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 14 November 2009, 17:55   #11
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
of course-in the same way that an oil drum does when ya build a raft for charity runs. The upthrust is equal to the weight of water displaced.
I was asked to test a new one of them down in Bristol years back but wasnt prepared to drive down there and back so they got a new boy with no knowledge of ribs but hungrier for the fee to do it Seemed ok from the report that appeared in the angling mag, but then again never trust magazine reports esp when the manufacturer is also a fee paying advertiser Must be b**** cold on the bum sitting on the toobs in winter
Of course, that was a bit of s illy question looking back.
But besides the chill factor what are the downside over inflatables? Is it just weight?
__________________

__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2009, 04:35   #12
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Salisbury
Boat name: TORA
Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 130
Send a message via Skype™ to TUFTY
Aluminium "Ribs"

I recall having a test on one of these at the a boatshow in the early 90s

http://www.thanetcraft.com/

The Alustar range.

Cheers

Tufty
__________________

__________________
TUFTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2009, 04:40   #13
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFTY View Post
I recall having a test on one of these at the a boatshow in the early 90s

http://www.thanetcraft.com/

The Alustar range.

Cheers

Tufty
Ahh they are called RBB boats?
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2009, 04:56   #14
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
JSP - there are a number of options for what are sometimes called "Rigid Bouyant Boats" - essentially RIB styled boats without an inflatable collar:

(1) Foam filled collars
(2) Aluminium collars
(3) Polythene collars
... (a) from large plastic tube or
... (b) as part of a one piece moulding with the hull like mine

I believe the design intention is to make them much more robust (to physical and UV abuse) than hypalon tubes. Foam filled tubes normally still have some sort of fabric over the top - but punctures don't affect bouyancy. Its very very unlikely you will pierce 10 mm of polythene or 2-3mm of Ali from normal domestic abuse although if you do repairs are a bit more specialised than slapping a patch on - but still perfectly possible.

The only real downside I am aware of (other than the fact that many of the tubes are not as nicely shaped as the latest things that Chris and Paul are churning out - but aesthestics aren't your no 1 priority... you own a SR!), is that people claim that the tubes act as a shock absorber in rough water... I'm not sure how significant that factor actually is - but obviously rigid tubes can't do that. The only way to really tell would be have identical hulled boats with inflatable and rigid tubes skippered by the same person on the same day. With my level of expertise the skipper is a bigger factor than the tubes!
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2009, 05:18   #15
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
JSP - there are a number of options for what are sometimes called "Rigid Bouyant Boats" - essentially RIB styled boats without an inflatable collar:

(1) Foam filled collars
(2) Aluminium collars
(3) Polythene collars
... (a) from large plastic tube or
... (b) as part of a one piece moulding with the hull like mine

I believe the design intention is to make them much more robust (to physical and UV abuse) than hypalon tubes. Foam filled tubes normally still have some sort of fabric over the top - but punctures don't affect bouyancy. Its very very unlikely you will pierce 10 mm of polythene or 2-3mm of Ali from normal domestic abuse although if you do repairs are a bit more specialised than slapping a patch on - but still perfectly possible.

The only real downside I am aware of (other than the fact that many of the tubes are not as nicely shaped as the latest things that Chris and Paul are churning out - but aesthestics aren't your no 1 priority... you own a SR!), is that people claim that the tubes act as a shock absorber in rough water... I'm not sure how significant that factor actually is - but obviously rigid tubes can't do that. The only way to really tell would be have identical hulled boats with inflatable and rigid tubes skippered by the same person on the same day. With my level of expertise the skipper is a bigger factor than the tubes!
Good points Mr P. I'm not thinking of getting one but I am interested in them. I looked into foam tubes earlier this year after looking at the Delta RIB Fleetwood nautical college use. Have to say, the extra room on the deck due to the 'half' tube design is a bonus. But as you've pointed out, they are very square cut and a little bit ex wife-ish.
Would love to go out on one though and have a play. Most seem to be jet drives and rather slow but that's not that big a deal.

Davey Wavelength, know anyone on the fylde coast with one?
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2009, 05:38   #16
RIBnet admin team
 
Nos4r2's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,645
RIBase
I wonder how much they suffer from not having the shock absorbing properties of an inflatable tube?
__________________
Need spares,consoles,consumables,hire,training or even a new boat?

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2009, 05:40   #17
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
I wonder how much they suffer from not having the shock absorbing properties of an inflatable tube?
It's things like that I'd like to know mate.
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2009, 13:00   #18
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
It's things like that I'd like to know mate.
Either of you would be welcome to try out one with moulded in plastic tubes and see what you think if you're up this way. I'm not convinced it really makes much difference...
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2009, 15:39   #19
JSP
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Either of you would be welcome to try out one with moulded in plastic tubes and see what you think if you're up this way. I'm not convinced it really makes much difference...
What boats that mate?
__________________
JSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2009, 15:58   #20
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSP View Post
What boats that mate?
Probably easiest to show you " type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> thats not mine but same model.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:21.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.