Old 04 November 2004, 10:54   #21

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Ok... what's going on? I turn my back for five minutes to do some work.. unusual, I know, but true... and things keep vanishing. Or is it me?

To quote one of my all time favourites.. "Now you may enlighten me.."

No offence to anyone.. just think it's a great line..
Old 04 November 2004, 11:05   #22

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
oi Manos

I like you so I gave you a greenie, mind you most think I am mental anyway.

All I would say is that I know its hard to make these issuse non personnal but its nice if you can.

I know John P and John K.
Both nice guy's from my dealings with them.
Never had anything but good dealings with both.

And yes we would all dearly love a free boat (please don't take this the wrong way JK because no offence is intended) and maybe JK has found a way of doing it in a legit manner.

If he has then fair play to him and good luck.
Wish I had thought of it!
I did not so if any one wants to loan/ give Icom a free demo boat then please feel free to contact me
Oh yes I have a laid down business plan on how it would be used and the PR?exposure the boat builder would get over 12 months

Anyway onwards and upwards

Regards
Old 04 November 2004, 11:17   #23

Town: Gloucetsreshire
Boat name: GATO DI MARE
Make: MAR.CO
Engine: Yamaha 200Vmax
MMSI: 235027678
Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Cheers Jon

.... and yes agree with what you say
Manos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 November 2004, 11:19   #24
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks
And yes we would all dearly love a free boat (please don't take this the wrong way JK because no offence is intended) and maybe JK has found a way of doing it in a legit manner.
Despite the apparent assumption that I'm somehow going to get a free boat, nice as it would be, this is far from the truth and has never been on the cards.

If I can negotiate a suitable price though it means that I am able to select something less mainstream than normal, and accept that it may have a lower resale value after a few years than something more well known. The Steyr engine being a case in point!

RIBnet has a significant readership, and the exposure will be worthwhile for some companies. It's up to them to decide -- there has been no hard sell. Figures for September were 61,504 visitor sessions, accounting for 3,228,538 hits. Not the biggest web site in the world, but not bad for a niche site

John
Old 04 November 2004, 11:22   #25

Town: scotland
Boat name: Leviathan
Make: Phantom
Length: 8m +
Engine: GM Diesels
Yeah, but wotz in it for me & Manoos?
Old 04 November 2004, 11:26   #26

... a good kickin' if ya don't wind ya neck in, Nobba....

..oops... sorry, forgot this was the "friendly" site.. please accept my apologies, my dear chap
Old 04 November 2004, 11:52   #27

Send a message via MSN to Manos Send a message via Yahoo to Manos Send a message via Skype™ to Manos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
RIBnet has a significant readership, and the exposure will be worthwhile for some companies. It's up to them to decide -- there has been no hard sell. Figures for September were 61,504 visitor sessions, accounting for 3,228,538 hits. Not the biggest web site in the world, but not bad for a niche site John
No not bad at all. However, how can the ROI (Return On Investment) of the RIB and equipment provider can be guranteed? or even estimated?

If a product provider who's interested in marketing it had a look at this he may argue the following:

There are 61504 visitors (hits don't count), how many memberts say 1500+, how many 2ble of 3ple entries 20% (say) possibly more, how many of these member entries are actually participating in the forum possibly 100-200 max, how many members are active at any one time? average say 10-20-30?, how many paid subscribers 10-20-30? How many from the UK, how many form Europe, US and other countries where the bigger share of the market is. What these people want? what do they have? can they afford it? i.e. what income bracket, age, employment, are they trade members or just memebers. If trade members what trade? if other what occupation (again income bracket etc), what boats do they have (a person with a 4mtr 15 year old inflatable will not be able to afford a lot).

So what would the ROI will be if a product is given 30% less than the selling price or at BE (Break Even) price or Free? How long should wait for a return to be to realised and how much that would be?

In this life I've learned one very valuable lesson YOU DO NOT GET SOMETHING FOR NOTHING.

Good luck with the project
Old 04 November 2004, 11:55   #28

Manos, I see that your spell checker is working better now... *sniff*...
Old 04 November 2004, 12:34   #29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manos
However, how can the ROI (Return On Investment) of the RIB and equipment provider can be guranteed? or even estimated?
It's a judgement call, and like I said, it's up to each individual to decide whether they want to be involved, and if so, how.

John
Old 04 November 2004, 14:34   #30

Jono and think I just wrote all this without a spell checker

John I am just trying to point some things out that may help you. That's all
Old 05 November 2004, 21:18   #31

Town: St Davids
Boat name: 6 vessels -various
Make: Quinquari/Humber
Length: 10m +
Engine: Twin ETEC200s
Ribneboat bun fight

Good replies by all and from our part some lesons learnt and hopefuly by JK.

I guess our mistake of entering into a pr excercise with a non commercial company when we are 100% commercial orientated. We make very significant charitable donations together with pr deals for suitable commercial users (some of which you will see in the boat press this winter). On a commercial to commercial basis we all understand the "rules". With a situation like RIBNET where ownership/pr etc cannot be defined then we have now learnt that we are not in a possition to support such a cut deal.

I guess that JKs mistake was to play the players and get the best price. This alienated us for lack of info along with various comments from various sources. JK did e-mail us yesterday asking how we got to this position. To reply to JK then you have not been transparent enough in either your ideas or commitment. Take that as constructive.

There are other points which would follow the lines of attitude, clash of personality and concern as to very sharp responses. To go into these would involve third parties and will not serve any members of this community so best left to rest.

The latter along with other bits made us unhappy. I respect the point about airing washing in public and is not our normal method. In this case I have no regrets and all being well will derive a good result.

JK will get his boat with big discounts and no doubt will maintain his very candid way (as we sometimes do). Sorry to say we will not supply that boat but do wish him well.

So lets put it to bed and I hope JK will agree that a lot of lessons learnt but respect held on all sides.

For those noting our postings on this site for sales reasons then I reply " Ribnet provides a break from the commercial humdrum of RHIBs. We learn a lot from it including attitudes and at times snippets of good technical and operating ideas -- we are always happy to learn. We post where we can help and will never deny that if people respect our ideas and then they may source us for commercial vls then that is great"

So thats the end of the bun fight.

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk
Old 05 November 2004, 23:36   #32

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Good.

For a while, I thought you too were gone. That would have been a loss.
Old 05 November 2004, 23:44   #33

Town: Blackpool
Boat name: eyore
Length: no boat
Engine: donkie engine
awww!!

yerra affectionate owd bugger aintcha jw. you could always have cuddled up to manos!
Old 05 November 2004, 23:45   #34

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
John,

a very honest and open post. I think it would have been a great shame if you had stopped contributing to Ribnet as I and many others on here have benefited over the years from your contributions and I look forward to more in the future.

Incidently I have not forgotten and remain in your debt for your team recovering two of my missing divers some years ago. A bottle of Glenfiddich at the time was the least we could do to say thank you.

Regards

Peter
Old 05 November 2004, 23:55   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydonkey
..you could always have cuddled up to manos!
Yer reckon?
Old 07 November 2004, 10:41   #36
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinquarimarine
I've learnt that people can behave in strange and unpredictable ways!

As for playing you off against other people, that's just not the case. Since the beginning of September I've been waiting for a firm price from you so that I could place the order. Looks like that's not to be. Despite your obviously high opinion of yourself, in my experience you are still a time waster!

Quote:
There are other points which would follow the lines of attitude, clash of personality and concern as to very sharp responses. To go into these would involve third parties and will not serve any members of this community so best left to rest.
Apart from a bit of mud slinging, you've been rather vague about what's botherig you. Perhaps one of your "third parties" has been spinning you a line?

You appear to have jumped to some hasty conclusions about me and about the project, none of which are correct. I don't believe that I have done anything to warrant your very public attack on me.

By the way, I deeply resent your comments about scrounging. You came to me -- I didn't ask for your help. I also made it very clear to you that if any company does decide to subsidise some of the cost of the project then I would do my utmost to provide value for everyone involved.

It's also interesting to note your bizarre comments about VAT and tax avoidance, which are a bit strange as it was you that suggested I VAT register RIBnet purely so I could reclaim the VAT on the boat! For the record I have no plans to reclaim any VAT or make any part of this project tax deductable.
Quote:
So lets put it to bed and I hope JK will agree that a lot of lessons learnt but respect held on all sides.
I doubt that this little episode has earnt you much respect from anyone.

John
Old 07 November 2004, 11:02   #37

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by quinquarimarine

I guess that JKs mistake was to play the players and get the best price. This alienated us for lack of info along with various comments from various sources. JK did e-mail us yesterday asking how we got to this position. To reply to JK then you have not been transparent enough in either your ideas or commitment. Take that as constructive.

Cheers

John
www.quinquari.co.uk

I thought it was normal business practice to "play the players and get the best price"
Old 07 November 2004, 11:12   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
..Since the beginning of September I've been waiting for a firm price from you so that I could place the order.
John

JK, did you make that clear? As in, "Give me a good enough price and we've got a deal." or something similar.
Old 07 November 2004, 11:16   #39
Administrator

I thought so, but perhaps not clear enough!

John
Old 07 November 2004, 11:20   #40

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
We were particularly surprised to see this thread develop, as after a conversation with Peter Coombs a couple of weeks ago, we got the impression that the deal was signed and sealed.
Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote