Old 22 October 2002, 17:09   #1

Town: Somerset
Boat name: Ashling
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: Mercury 225
Ribex 2003

Forum members might be interested in a letter that has just been received from RIB Exhibitions concerning Ribex.

The show is to move to Gunwharf Quay in Portsmouth, but the bad news is that there will only be an "On the Water" side to the show for 2003. The letter explains that due to costs there will be no hard standing available for Exhibitors, which will exclude all the companies that offer support services to the industry including engine manufacturers and the like. A lot of companies who have not only supported the show right from the early days and who do not have boats on the water, will be upset by this decision, and visitors may feel that they are not getting good value for money.

It seems odd that there is no place anywhere along our large coastline that could provide facilities suitable for what is a fairly small and compact exhibition!

Chris Hornidge

www.henshaw.co.uk
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2002, 17:30   #2

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Oh no, I think another thread is about to develop
Old 22 October 2002, 17:39   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Ribex

They have really lost the plot this time. Funnily enough the renewal notice for RI has just arrived in the mail. I am using the back of it to design a home made console. Probably end up covered in resin,
Old 22 October 2002, 18:20   #4

Make: FB 55
Length: 10m +
Why don't they just go back to Weymouth - it was far better there anyway?
Old 22 October 2002, 19:38   #5

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
As a Portsmouth born and breed person and very proud of our new development and its overall concept, I would suggest that RIBEX is only going there for one of two reasons.

1/ They are being paid to go there and hope to rip the public off by charging them to walk down a public gang plank

or

2/ They do not have to pay to be there and will still rip the public off for walking down the public gang plank!
Either way Hugo has definatly shown his colours this time by saying bollocks to the trade who have supported him from the start!
Chris, dont be upset, we are still promoting your product where ever we go. Perhaps now is the time for a take over bid?

I have a plan
How about RIBNET hold a rib show that is free to everyone who wants to come along? Lets say new boats on the water,dealers on the land and a second hand boat market, coupled with a good knees up and get together on the Saturday night.
Location? There better places than Portsmouth to hold it.
Brighton? Weymouth? Poole? or Cardiff has everything that is required and I know they would love to have us.
Let me have your thoughts, I am sure that between us we could put it together. Keith, are you up for it?
Alan P
Old 22 October 2002, 19:42   #6

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Quote:
How about RIBNET hold a rib show that is free to everyone who wants to come along? Lets say new boats on the water,dealers on the land and a second hand boat market, coupled with a good knees up and get together on the Saturday night
Ribnet mass meeting?

K (I'm getting tired) H
Old 22 October 2002, 19:43   #7

Hey

I've just had a look who's logged on. If the Devil should cast his net.....

Keith (going home from work in a minute) Hart
Old 22 October 2002, 21:10   #8

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
I agree with Alan P, freebie show on the IoW only accessible by boat!

Alternatively:
I am in a local motorcycle club and it's amazing the effect we have upon entering a pub or other such establishment, people leave/go quiet/ move somewhere else etc. Surely between those that use this forum and associates we could simulate this phenomena in a harbour using ribs? (Not forgetting Keith in his sib of course and possibly a couple of sportsboats!)
Old 22 October 2002, 21:46   #9
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
R.I.B INTERNATIONAL
: R.I.P
Old 22 October 2002, 21:56   #10

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Engine: Yanmar diesel
Sounds good...

I went to RIBEX this year and found the land-based stuff more useful than gorping at the nice new flash boats. Don't think i'd bother if it is water only. I've nothing against HMS BUT that is a very silly move.

RIBNET show / event whatever...beer ...boats ...women... I'll be there, and could prob. get a stand out of my local marine dealer (Yam and Merc. dealer)

Dan
Old 23 October 2002, 08:53   #11

Town: Newfoundland
Well last year I got critiscm from certain quarters for organising a cruise on the same weekend as RIBEX. (Didn't stop 7 boats and 25 odfd people having a good weekend). Presumably next year no-one is going to have a problem with this?

I think the "Rib.net Rally" (Catchy eh?) should be organised for the same weekend, widely publisced as come see and meet ribsters for free. Holding it in the Solent to make the point say at Haslar marina would be nicely in RIBEX's face, but Weymouth or even Cardiff would be a better venue.

Could we get some trade support from those that can't put their products afloat? Hmmm interesting!

Alan
Old 23 October 2002, 11:06   #12

Hi

Why not organise Ribnet Mass Meeting at the same time and THE SAME PLACE?

We can all meet up, take a look at the new stuff, and show the rest of the world what a great bunch we are! Perhaps we could organise a block Ribnet discount for Ribex?

Keith (just a thought) Hart
Old 23 October 2002, 14:38   #13

Town: Margate / Ramsgate
Boat name: Bumbl
Wonder if we could get an advert in RI???
Old 23 October 2002, 16:24   #14

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Do we know what dates RI are planning on? Personally I would love to have a meeting at somewhere like Weymouth, and invite the trade stands down.
Old 23 October 2002, 17:03   #15
RIBnet supporter

Town: Lymington Hampshire
Boat name: Hot Lemon
MMSI: 235
RIBNET SHOW

You will need marquee expertise ! Don,t for get to give me a call when you need help advice and sensibly price marquees .
John Merrix

www.hiremarquee.co.uk
Old 23 October 2002, 22:04   #16

Lurcher,
Howabout "donated to the cause" marquee? In return for copious amounts of "kindly donated by hireamarquee.co.uk" advertising etc etc?!

Ribex2003
I think we've all got it wrong. Its RI's cost saving plan for us all. All you have to do is turn up by RIB and idle past the pontoons looking at the new boats to your hearts content. No need for admission fees!

Thanks Hugo!
Old 24 October 2002, 13:55   #17

Town: Copenhagen
Boat name: Nemesis
Make: CAPE 79
Engine: Suzuki 250 4 stroke
Send a message via AIM to Rene Send a message via MSN to Rene
Quote:
Why not organise Ribnet Mass Meeting at the same time and THE SAME PLACE?
I would just like to say that I really like Keith's idea.

I would love to be there. And just the thought of making it into a boat show with free access like in Alan Priddy's sugestion make's me even more sure that I will be there.

Great Idea. But we vill need some dealers on land, since that's the reason why most people come to the shows.

Count me in.

Regrads
Rene
Old 28 November 2002, 10:31   #18

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
I was reading the worst ever issue of RIB International in the bog this morning and came across the "good news" News item that tells of the move of RIBEX. I decided to email the show contact, Steve Harvey, and find out a bit more. Thought you might like to see what I said. I'll post the reply, if and when I get it....

Dear Steve

I read the news item on page 72 of this month's RIB International that tells of the move of RIBEX from Ocean Village to Gunwharf Quays in 2003. The article paints a very rosey picture of the benefits to the visitor and to the industry of this move but I am, I have to say, confused.

If I am right in what I understand the situation to be, the show will be absolutely of no interest to me - or to anyone else who already has a RIB and does not plan to buy another in the near future.

I say this because it appears to me that there are to be no shoreside exhibits at all. Is this the case or is it not?

The reason that shoreside exhibits are important to me, and those like me, is that they offer us the chance to look at all aspects of ribbing - other than buying a new boat.

I have only had my RIB for a year but in that time, thanks to my visit to RIBEX last year, after comparing what was on offer from the exhibitors, amongst other things achieved on the day, I bought a new engine, a set of excellent flat fenders that I have not seen anywhere else and talked with a propellor repair company in depth about props.

Will I still be able to do things like this? And, if so, how will it work if all the exhibitors are to be afloat?

I would appreciate a timely reply so that I can let other users of RIBnet Forum know the answer without too much delay. I know many others share my concerns.

I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely

Mike Garside
Old 28 November 2002, 11:01   #19

Oooohhh you mentioned rib.net. That'll label you as a troublemaker and ensure you don't get a reply !

Look on the bright side Mike, you were reading RI in the bog so were ideally placed to recycle the pages for a more useful purpose!!
Old 28 November 2002, 11:15   #20

Quote:
you were reading RI in the bog
Just think.....next issue you will be sat on the toilet looking at a picture of ME !

Keith (what a thought!) Hart