Old 28 September 2003, 10:20   #11
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
The Zodiacs in the 'States are Zodiac Hurricanes which are rather different from the Zodiacs that we see around the UK.

The European Zodiacs tend to be medium V, leisure oriented designs whereas the Zodiac Hurricanes I have seen are altogether more serious pieces of kit.

I'm not sure what the relationship is between Zodiac and Zodiac Hurricane. Can anyone shed a bit of light on this?

John

Old 28 September 2003, 11:38   #12
Trade member

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Quote:
I'm not sure what the relationship is between Zodiac and Zodiac Hurricane. Can anyone shed a bit of light on this?
Zodiac Hurricane is part of the Zodiac group they were bought rock stock and barrel a few years ago by Zodiac International and incorporated into the Zodiac Group of Companies.

The Zodiac Hurricane ribs are excellent ribs and have been very well received by the Military and Commercial market worldwide

I agree with Thewavehumper for a commercial application the Avon Searider say 6.0SR is a far more superior rib then any European Zodiac say 600 SRMN

Andre
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2003, 13:51   #13

Town: Kauai, Hawaii
Boat name: ???
Make: zodiac hurricane
Length: 7m +
Engine: twin suzuki 140's
Check out this web page and tell what you guys think: http://www.zodiacmilpro.com/product/enforce/index.html
Old 28 September 2003, 18:08   #14
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
I would expect all the "military & professional" Zodiac RIBs to be good seaworthy boats. A quick look at the spec sheets shows that the Zodiac Hurricanes do have a seriously deep V hull -- 26 degrees at the transom.

The Zodiacs that we get in Europe are these ones: http://www.zodiacmarineusa.com/rigid...troduction.htm which are rather different (although by no means bad boats!).

John
Old 30 September 2003, 07:24   #15

Town: winchester
Boat name: Pilchard
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Merc 90 4s
Totally biassed, of course, (see left), but go for the R/Craft every time - after 20 years in sailing yachts of all sizes and in all conditions, I am consistently amazed at the way my present R/Craft 585 handles in waves- following, crossing and head seas are all taken with a real feeling of safety and no bone-jarring crunches. The old adage that 'you will give up long before the boat will' definitely applies here. During the RIB International Round Ireland event last year it was noted that when the wind really blew up (force 7/8 in the open Atlantic) the smaller o/b RIBs with their better throttle response were able to handle big seas even better than some of the larger i/b rigs.
There, that's my twopennyworth - whatever you end up getting, i hope you have as much fun as we are!