Old 03 March 2013, 19:02   #1

Town: London
Length: 4m +
Ribbing in Southern Poland

I know some people post about trips from Gdansk/Gdynia on here, so I'm hoping maybe there may be someone who has ventured down south!

There are a few lakes south of Krakow, are any of them worth visiting with a RIB?

Secondly how far down the Vistula/Wisla can you go, I believe its technically possible to get from the coast to Krakow, or nearby at least, but can you go any further (oh and are there any speed limits)? Also is there likely to be anywhere nearish Krakow that charters? Alternatively is it possible to launch anywhere near Krakow?

I suspect the information is out there, but unfortunately I don't speak Polish, so I'm probably not searching in the right places :-(
Old 03 March 2013, 19:59   #2

Town: West Sussex
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjmehra View Post
I know some people post about trips from Gdansk/Gdynia on here, so I'm hoping maybe there may be someone who has ventured down south!

There are a few lakes south of Krakow, are any of them worth visiting with a RIB?

Secondly how far down the Vistula/Wisla can you go, I believe its technically possible to get from the coast to Krakow, or nearby at least, but can you go any further (oh and are there any speed limits)? Also is there likely to be anywhere nearish Krakow that charters? Alternatively is it possible to launch anywhere near Krakow?

I suspect the information is out there, but unfortunately I don't speak Polish, so I'm probably not searching in the right places :-(

Hi, I have done a lot of ribbing in Poland and even took participated in two offshore rib races. There are some lakes in the south of Poland but you will have to tow there. Some are man made.
You will need to check if power boats are permitted

The Vistula river can be navigated but best with a water jet rib. Lots of shallow water.
The best lakes are in the Mazurian Lake District which is in the North East of Poland. Some you cannot see one end from the other and are linked by rivers and canals.

The best ribbing waters I believe are in the north west of Poland . You have excellent cruising around the Isle of Wolin , Done that many times and if one wants to go offshore a bit further then from Dziwnow to Bornholm it is only 46Nm .

It is a long way to tow and if it was me I would not go south.
Old 03 March 2013, 20:11   #3

Thanks for your suggestions, I'm very keen to visit the Mazurian Lake District and do some of the coastline too, but the reason I was looking at the south is purely because of friends and (soon to be) family living round there. From what I understand (and sounds like you agree) there is more to see and explore up north, but I'd still be interested in any tips for exploring down South, if anyone has anything :-)
Old 03 March 2013, 21:01   #4

Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions, I'm very keen to visit the Mazurian Lake District and do some of the coastline too, but the reason I was looking at the south is purely because of friends and (soon to be) family living round there. From what I understand (and sounds like you agree) there is more to see and explore up north, but I'd still be interested in any tips for exploring down South, if anyone has anything :-)
If I am not mistaken you are soon to be addicted to Bigos and zurek
Well done - good choice and I speak from experience
Old 04 March 2013, 15:16   #5

I have developed quite a taste for pierogi & zywiec so far ;-)
Old 04 March 2013, 15:23   #6

Quote:
I have developed quite a taste for pierogi & zywiec so far ;-)
Yes , the same here.