Town: Nr Tring
Boat name: Braveheart
Make: Porters Renegade
Length: 6m +
Engine: Tohatsu 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks View Post
Boat looks great.

Is it me or does it seem to be missing a VHF and a GPS?
I know a man that can help there!
I'm sorry Jon, it does have both - however, a girl can always change her mind and upgrade. We are hopefully going to do our VHF licences in the very near future - we may (finances allowing) decide to upgrade the kit. Few other jobs to come first - cover, trailer bearings, compass and depth sounder.
Old 06 June 2007, 10:28   #22

Town: Dorset
Boat name: Pending
Make: Pending
Length: no boat
New RIB

Hi Sarah G,
Welcome to the world of ribbing, just a couple of points addressed for you, i take it you brought the boat from Blue Waters Yard? if so i have a good friend that owns a garage up the road 400 yards that can sort out your trailer for you;
Andy Dowset at Dowset Tyres Tel; 01305775021 mention my name & he will sort you out cheap Tyres/brakes/bearings (he will be on the Alderney cruise on the 17th & i have told him you might be calling).
Also if you contact Ribcraft in Yeovil speak to Dorrian & he can sort out a cover for you tailor made for your boat approx £400>£500 & they are one of the best i have seen.
Mike Patrick.

The Titanic was built by professionals - The Ark was built by one man!
www.aqua-care.co.uk
Spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2007, 10:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Hi Sarah G,
Welcome to the world of ribbing, just a couple of points addressed for you, i take it you brought the boat from Blue Waters Yard? if so i have a good friend that owns a garage up the road 400 yards that can sort out your trailer for you;
Andy Dowset at Dowset Tyres Tel; 01305775021 mention my name & he will sort you out cheap Tyres/brakes/bearings (he will be on the Alderney cruise on the 17th & i have told him you might be calling).
Also if you contact Ribcraft in Yeovil speak to Dorrian & he can sort out a cover for you tailor made for your boat approx £400>£500 & they are one of the best i have seen.
Mike Patrick.
Brill thanks for this. The trailer is the most important part at the moment. I'll give Andy a call. I may well get in contact with Dorrian when the shock of purchase has subsided...
Old 06 June 2007, 10:40   #24

Town: ramsgate
Boat name: Micki Dee Bee
Make: Ribcraft Seasafari
Length: 9m +
Engine: Twin 250hp Suzuki
MMSI: 235057235
Send a message via MSN to Jon Brooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah G View Post
Brill thanks for this. The trailer is the most important part at the moment. I'll give Andy a call. I may well get in contact with Dorrian when the shock of purchase has subsided...
Dr Martin sorry Dorian is very helpful.

You could drop my name in the hat if it would help, Standard Jon or STD Jon for short!!!!
Mind you it might not help at all but worth a try.
Old 06 June 2007, 10:45   #25

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
If you are scared to use Toluene or can't get it use the diluted traffic film remover from Machine Mart. It works very well with a soft brush. Removes oxidisation a treat!!!
I thought the outcome of the thread on cleaning tubes a week or so ago was that TFR was not such a good idea since it contains caustic soda and corrodes yer aluminium engine and the metals of the trailer.
Old 06 June 2007, 11:13   #26

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalker View Post
I thought the outcome of the thread on cleaning tubes a week or so ago was that TFR was not such a good idea since it contains caustic soda and corrodes yer aluminium engine and the metals of the trailer.
Didn't put it near the engine and not got a trailer!!!

Also have to make sure that my wood decks are wet first to avoid staining etc. You need to wash the boat down with loads of watrer afterwards.

The product I have come acroos is incredible - so much so I want to market it myself - problem is they stopped making it 5 years ago - turned out mine was from the last of the old batch - the new stuff is crap!!!
Old 06 June 2007, 11:17   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike View Post
Well done Mike - called Andy trailer booked in on Friday 15th, liked his quote too - more like your real machanic. The Boat Yard were scary - almost the price of a good second hand trailer!!!

Thanks matey saved enough to buy the compass and we might even eat this week.

I've been reading your Alderney trip, if we had had the boat in time, I would love to have done that one. Perhaps I need a little more practice before going for that. I'll stick to Chichester Harbour and the IoW for this summer.

Thanks again.
Old 06 June 2007, 11:18   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Brooks View Post
Dr Martin sorry Dorian is very helpful.

You could drop my name in the hat if it would help, Standard Jon or STD Jon for short!!!!
Mind you it might not help at all but worth a try.
Name dropping is fab!!!
Old 06 June 2007, 11:22   #29

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
Didn't put it near the engine and not got a trailer!!!

Also have to make sure that my wood decks are wet first to avoid staining etc. You need to wash the boat down with loads of watrer afterwards.

The product I have come acroos is incredible - so much so I want to market it myself - problem is they stopped making it 5 years ago - turned out mine was from the last of the old batch - the new stuff is crap!!!
Perhaps - now that I know what the marks are - I'll go and find the thread but does the traffic film have the same issues as TFR? Is this OK on metal and everything else?
Old 06 June 2007, 11:37   #30

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Sarah you certainly know how to grab people's attention with thread titles

Well done and may you have less troubles with your new toy than I did

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 June 2007, 11:40   #31

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Traffic film remover is TFR. I have been using it for the last couple of years on just about everything and it works a treat, especially tubes. I left a PVC tubed rib at calshot for about 3 months. When I came back it was covered in really nasty sticky grime. Sprayed it with neat trf, left it 2 minutes, quick scrub with a green pan scourer and it came up like new. Up until recently I used to wash trailers down with it. Won't be doing that anymore after what I read in that thread about tfr, but I certainly won't stop using it on anything else. Also works wonders as oven cleaner, and in the bathroom on scummy tiles.
Old 06 June 2007, 11:45   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Sarah you certainly know how to grab people's attention with thread titles

Well done and may you have less troubles with your new toy than I did
Sorry about the titles - I seem to be on a roll at the moment!!!

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm sure we will have our fair share of 'issues' but hopefully as the boat and engine look pretty good, hopefully we have a good starting point.

Bit overexcited at the moment ;o)
Old 06 June 2007, 11:50   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Traffic film remover is TFR. I have been using it for the last couple of years on just about everything and it works a treat, especially tubes. I left a PVC tubed rib at calshot for about 3 months. When I came back it was covered in really nasty sticky grime. Sprayed it with neat trf, left it 2 minutes, quick scrub with a green pan scourer and it came up like new. Up until recently I used to wash trailers down with it. Won't be doing that anymore after what I read in that thread about tfr, but I certainly won't stop using it on anything else. Also works wonders as oven cleaner, and in the bathroom on scummy tiles.
sorry - I'm being a numb nut.

Does it make a difference what the tubes are made of - i.e. PVC or hypalon (we have Hypalon)?

If you are really careful with it, i.e. no where near metal and don't splosh it about would it be OK?
Old 06 June 2007, 11:50   #34

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
If TFR is so bad for metal why is it marketed for cleaning traffic film off commercial vehicles.

This is what one of the retailers say. 'Keep contact with alkali sensitive materials to a minimum. Rinse the cleaned surface with water, not allowing the cleaning solution to dry on'.

http://www.morclean.co.uk/content.php?categoryId=238

Is galvanised steel alkali sensitive ?
Old 06 June 2007, 12:06   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
If TFR is so bad for metal why is it marketed for cleaning traffic film off commercial vehicles.

This is what one of the retailers say. 'Keep contact with alkali sensitive materials to a minimum. Rinse the cleaned surface with water, not allowing the cleaning solution to dry on'.

http://www.morclean.co.uk/content.php?categoryId=238

Is galvanised steel alkali sensitive ?
I don't know about galvanised steel being sensitive - after looking at all the info on the ATF site, I'm very sensitive!!!
Old 06 June 2007, 12:07   #36

Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Quote:
Perhaps - now that I know what the marks are - I'll go and find the thread but does the traffic film have the same issues as TFR? Is this OK on metal and everything else?
Sorry, I should have used the full name. TFR is Traffic Film Remover.

I was just concerned that Codders wasn't giving the whole story. I wouldn't put the stuff near my boat. Can you imagine washing your boat with it and managing not to get splashes on the engine or trailer and not getting it onto instruments or into the bilge pump. What a hassle.
Old 06 June 2007, 12:26   #37

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I have used it on hypalon and pvc. Your tubes are hypalon. At the end of the day its personal preference what to use - some people swear by tfr others hate it. From my own personal experience, the only bad experience I have ever had with it is when I washed my car with it, and it took some of the lacquer off the front bumper. In terms of using it on boats I have never had any issues at all - it does a great job.

Just make sure you wear rubber gloves when you use it as it will damage your hands.
Old 06 June 2007, 12:38   #38

Quote:
Sorry, I should have used the full name. TFR is Traffic Film Remover.

I was just concerned that Codders wasn't giving the whole story. I wouldn't put the stuff near my boat. Can you imagine washing your boat with it and managing not to get splashes on the engine or trailer and not getting it onto instruments or into the bilge pump. What a hassle.
So is there an eco-friendly (or rib-friendly version)?
Old 06 June 2007, 12:40   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I have used it on hypalon and pvc. Your tubes are hypalon. At the end of the day its personal preference what to use - some people swear by tfr others hate it. From my own personal experience, the only bad experience I have ever had with it is when I washed my car with it, and it took some of the lacquer off the front bumper. In terms of using it on boats I have never had any issues at all - it does a great job.

Just make sure you wear rubber gloves when you use it as it will damage your hands.
OK. The patch is in the bow - away from all the scary bits (instruments, engine, etc.) Is it runny - do you put it on the cloth first and then wipe the area - reducing the amount of possible splashing. Do you then rinse like mad?
Old 06 June 2007, 13:59   #40

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
OK. The patch is in the bow - away from all the scary bits (instruments, engine, etc.) Is it runny - do you put it on the cloth first and then wipe the area - reducing the amount of possible splashing. Do you then rinse like mad?
Don't use a green nylon scourer as it can scuff the tubes unless you are carefull. A softish scrubbing brush is the answer. Using the dilute TFR readymix is a lot safer than using the neat stuff. £5 for 5 litres from Machine Mart. Just scrub it hard into the tubes. Don't worry about it damaging anything as you will be washing it all off afterwards. You may well see the suds turning pink/red - worry not it just shows it's working.

Chcuk the stuff into a bucket - dip brush into the solution and scrub away - don't try to spread it over too big an area - you need to slap loads of it on!!!