Old 28 August 2009, 11:40   #11
Town: Nantes
Boat name: A l'Attaque
Make: Sea-Way
Length: 6m +
Engine: Not here yet
In that case a rib seems about right. I would recommend you go for one where the tubes are well in contact with the water at rest (Humber Destroyer and Assault both have these characteristics).

Being a freediver/spearfisherman I am in a privileged position to observe the fishes behaviour, much more so than a bottle diver. I can safely say that under the water the Suzuki 4-strokes are the quietest engines about. For fishing this is an important consideration. At displacement speeds one of those engines could go over my head and I wouldn't notice (which is very scary !). I have seen very confident fish flee because someone somewhere has turned on an engine within a 200m radius. I'm not a fan of 4-strokes but the noise factor is an undeniable fact and yes I can compare to e-tec, Yamaha 4/, Mercury Optimax + 4/ plus others.

Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2009, 10:02   #12
Town: Scillies
Boat name: Freedom
Make: Searider
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 2st 90
I've got to say I thoroughly enjoy fishing from my SR. With the flooding hull it is very stable. The only -ve to that (before you all jump all over me) is water lapping over the stern. To overcome this I have moved the fuel tank (50ish lt) forward of the consol which has also helped when landing off waves as it is not as stern heavy now. I am also trying to work out how to fit some kind of gaiter around the cutout to reduce the amount getting in. I'll experiment in the winter as it is currently on it's mooring.

walruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2009, 11:13   #13
Town: NW& wherever the boat is!
Boat name: depends on m'mood!
Make: Humbers/15-24m cats
Engine: etec130/big volvos
MMSI: many and various
I've seen some coded small ribs with a stainless splash well built around the cut out to give the req transom height in the centre. Just a horizontal tray bent up round the edges and extending far enough inboard to allow the engine to tilt. Seemed crude but it did the trick. As for fishing from ribs as incentive knows thats what we did before the EU nicked our cod! But I do fish occasionally from them but still miss the sitting at anchor comfort of the little hard boats we used with the shelter from the cuddy keeping the wind of the cockpit in winter. However when I do have a run in one of those seahogs or similar I keep asking myself did we really do all that winter fishing in one of these?
Compared to a rib you really do feel vulnerable
Dave M
wavelength is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 12:31   #14
Boat name: Muzungu
Make: Red Bay 650
Engine: Suzuki 200hp
I fished with a plaice net this summer, caught a lot of ray more than 150 (all wet back alive) and much to my suprise I have two small holes in the tube were I pulled the net over from ray thorns Not sure how I fix the holes.

Bulligmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 18:45   #15
RIBnet admin team
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Originally Posted by wavelength View Post
Compared to a rib you really do feel vulnerable
Almost completely OT, but I recall early years and fishing well offshore in a pissy little 17' Shetland with a 40 merc pullstart and a 3.5 yammie auxie, three flares and fcuk all else. No mobies in those days! At the time I was very content (being a kid and all) but looking back at it, ! Still, we survived it!

It's odd, I was back there this season, fishing the same mark, but with a 21' rib, twin 90s, twin plotters, twin VHF, PLB, cuddly toy, etc. And I was looking over my shoulder all day. Go figure! I guess it was my Watch this time...
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 August 2009, 21:43   #16
Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
I have a 7 m. RIB that I use for serious fishing. The only concern is when boating a 30lb. + fish when I need to use a gaff. So the rule is gaff facing away from the boat. I have 5 rod holders and release clips to match each station for trolling, so I can get quite a good spread. Bottom fishing is normally done from the foredeck as there is more room. I max. out at a boat driver and 3 anglers.
Running around like a head with it's chicken cut off.
Limey Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2009, 10:41   #17
Town: Blackpool
Boat name: Incentive
Make: Humber Ocean Pro
Length: 5m +
Engine: Tohatsu 90TLDI
Couple of photos of my rod rest/holder i have instead of an A-frame,works a treat!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02305.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	45424   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02306.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	45425  

incentive is offline   Reply With Quote