Old 22 September 2006, 07:29   #21

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Junior hacksaw. Cheap as you like. Very effective for cutting through line wrapped around props etc.. you can't hurt yourself with it.. a smear of waxoyl or the like will keep it rust free and what's the worst if it rusts? A quid for a new one....
Old 22 September 2006, 07:33   #22

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
I have a "Big Fish" from

http://www.roostersailing.com/mercha...ory_Code=tools

as well as a my trusty rusty "cheese" knife, which is a 75mm double sided, blunt ended rescue knife, which has only been used for cutting cheese.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bfsk.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	22305  
Old 22 September 2006, 08:19   #23

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribald
We have been issued with these for the Pompy patrol work - very nice bits of kit
You lot will be wanting something from Messrs Heckler and Koch next LINK afterall the Gestapo in Chi harbour have them

I am curious to know what people think they are going to need a knife for? (apart from Mark as he BBQs a flame grilled Big Mac with Cheese of the stern) In twenty years of diving the only time I have needed a knife is to kill something which hopefully would be edible later (I carry a crowbar for the brass port holes) I kinda like Jonos suggestion, with a stanley knife to the tool box too. As for divers knives strapped to shins, consoles or A frames,

Pete
Old 22 September 2006, 08:44   #24
mdt

Town: fife
Make: Humber / searider
Length: 5m +
MMSI: ... - - - ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7
I am curious to know what people think they are going to need a knife for?
The knife I have has a bottle opener built into the shackle key blade…. To date the only part to be used in anger…
Old 22 September 2006, 09:23   #25

Town: port st mary
Boat name: Orange Peel
Make: Delta
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90
After a similar quest I got a Race Rescue Knife - the hook has proved useful to cut rope from the prop as the rope can't move away from the blade when you apply pressure - lots of lobster pots in the harbour...

http://www.greatkit.com/product_info.php?id=23&pid=61
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hook%20RRK%202%20300k.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	22311  
Old 22 September 2006, 10:00   #26

Quote:
I have in the past used mine (a race rescue knife - made by Gerber I think) for cutting ropes off the prop, cutting a line securing a rib to the wall in yarmouth which didn't allow for tide (you were there I think!) generally cutting lots of random bits of rope for various reasons, but the most compelling one was the one occasion I went into the water to try and find a dinghy sailor underneath an aysmmetric boat, and had to saw through the wire trapeze line and elastic to free them, at the same time as having the safety boat helm lift the back of the boat to create an air gap. I was glad I had my knife accessable for that one!
Old 22 September 2006, 10:50   #27

Town: Chichester
Length: no boat
These are perfect for the job. http://chandlery.yachtinguniverse.co...uct.php/937/1/

Every boat should have one.

They where designed for rescue boats.
Old 22 September 2006, 11:00   #28

Quote:
The only way to find out is not to have one aboard.

Quote:
apart from Mark as he BBQs a flame grilled Big Mac with Cheese of the stern
Yeah, and even then I still cannot create as much smoke as Old 'lice.
Old 22 September 2006, 11:02   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo
the one occasion I went into the water to try and find a dinghy sailor underneath an aysmmetric boat, and had to saw through the wire trapeze line and elastic to free them, at the same time as having the safety boat helm lift the back of the boat to create an air gap.
Jimbo
See me later. I will explain a technique of doing that with out getting wet.
Old 22 September 2006, 12:38   #30

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
Quote:
I am curious to know what people think they are going to need a knife for? (apart from Mark as he BBQs a flame grilled Big Mac with Cheese of the stern) In twenty years of diving the only time I have needed a knife is to kill something which hopefully would be edible later (I carry a crowbar for the brass port holes)
Someone who never expects that they could be ejected from a boat might ask the same thing about a kill cord. Which is why an emergency knife should be on your person, (belt or PFD - not shin) rather than the boat.

Quote:
I kinda like Jonos suggestion,...
Just don't tell him that you're about to eat something you've just killed. Last time I mentioned that on this discusion board, he stated that he hopes that I be killed for doing so. http://www.rib.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15981&page=2 It always amazes me how violent strident animal rights activists really are.
Old 22 September 2006, 13:14   #31

Town: sunny south coast
Boat name: Pride of Bilboa
Length: 10m +
MMSI: 4
Quote:
Repelling boarders at Priory Bay.. You know what those locals are like..
Old 22 September 2006, 13:16   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie tuber
..... It always amazes me how violent strident animal rights activists really are.

I think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick, Old Chap. I’m not an animal rights activist although, as a reasonable well balanced Human Being, I can’t abide unnecessary suffering or deliberate neglect of animals. The truth is I have, in the past, been paid handsomely to kill some of God’s ickle fluffy creatures. There's a farm locally that has a real rabbit problem, due to the large tract of land next door being owned by a multi-national chemical company that have no interest in decreasing the rabbit population, so the arable farms local to it are over run with rabbits. So we shoot them and are rewarded handsomely. If something really needs killing, then kill it. No bullshit, no “sportsmanship”.. just efficient, ruthless, cold-blooded killing. It’s people that pay to hunt that rack me off. If it gives you a thrill killing wild animals, then I think you are lacking in something. You try and justify it by blaming the Bears for conflicting with mankind. A tenuous excuse, as it goes, but if the Bear has to go, in these circumstances, pay professionals to do a job… With guns… Properly. ..Don’t let some red-necked hick pay to get his get his kicks by hunting them down with inferior tools to prove his manhood.…………
Old 22 September 2006, 13:26   #33

Do eat those rabbits you kill!!! It is you who clearly is the redneck if you think that guns kill animals more humanely and quickly than a sharp broadhead does. All a gun does is extend the range at which one can kill but it is certainly not a more humane way to kill an animal. Do some research on this.
Old 22 September 2006, 13:31   #34

Quote:
Just don't tell him that you're about to eat something you've just killed. Last time I mentioned that on this discusion board, he stated that he hopes that I be killed for doing so.
Quite right too, leave Paddington alone LINK
Old 22 September 2006, 13:52   #35

Quote:
Do eat those rabbits you kill!!!

No, can’t stand the stuff. Carcasses went to the local butcher who has a nice line in “game pie”.

Muzzle energy of a .338 Lapua magnum with ballistic tipped ammunition, with a scope from a bipod/rest will blow out the heart of a large animal at a range that allows foe a nice clean kill, without all the Rambo-esque “stalking” through the woods. That’s the point I’m making. Killing because it needs to be done in a professional and efficient way, not people out to get their kicks by playing hunter.
I have the same thoughts about people in this country that used to prance about on Horse back hunting Foxes with packs of hounds. If you have a fox problem, just kill the bloody things, don’t make a sport out of it…it’s a base human trait.
Old 22 September 2006, 14:14   #36

Chasing a fox for hours on end with dogs and horses is an entirely different scenario than taking a deer bear or moose for it's venison.

Odds are you didn't use the .338 for those rabbits

I don't know how much experience you have with animals the size of bears, moose, elk or even deer, but I can assure you that a sharp broadhead through the vitals will kill them more quickly, and with far less trauma than a .338 will. Additionally there will be far less meat wasteage with a bow killed animal than with the shoulder cannon.

We've probably highjacked this thread enough, hopefully my input on the original knife topic is worthwhile info. We could persue this other issue in the chat forum or via PMs.
Old 22 September 2006, 17:35   #37

Town: Oakland CA
Quote:
Personally, I use mine when accosted by the dreaded untamed salami, or the wild and unpredictable cheese block.

In truth, I keep a large pointed knife on-board for dispatching speared fish, but it usually sits on the boat (I don't hunt all that much.) I have a small (3.5" blade?) knife on my dive gear for dealing with monofilament fishing line and kelp and such. I find scissors are much better for most things I need to cut while diving (EMT shears.)

400 series stainless will keep a better edge but will rust if not rinsed and oiled. 300 series stainless is better corrosion wise, but will not hold an edge as long. Most knives are 304, 316, 420, or 440 stainless.

I get around most questions of longevity by periodically losing my knives. That way, I get to sample more makes and materials.

jky
Old 22 September 2006, 17:54   #38

Town: Leatherhead
Length: no boat
Quote:
You lot will be wanting something from Messrs Heckler and Koch next LINK afterall the Gestapo in Chi harbour have them
Pete, we have far more interesting "toys" available. Mostly painted grey and "stored" on the eastern side of the harbour Some, I am led to believe, would even put your smoke screen apparatus to shame.

(PS - not out this coming Sunday are you? )

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! Bullshit and brilliance only come with age and experience.
Ribald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2006, 17:56   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribald
(PS - not out this coming Sunday are you? )
Might be
Old 22 September 2006, 17:57   #40

Town: Leicester
Boat name: Vixen
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki OB 175
MMSI: 235071839
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki
I get around most questions of longevity by periodically losing my knives. That way, I get to sample more makes and materials.

jky
That explains how we keep finding them! If you splother some silicone grease on them they wont rust and unlike engine grease it doesnt stink.

For a very cheap but good knife find a good "Kitchen Devil" type knife and grind off the point. I use one at home for cuting wet or dry rope and they are sharp.
Simon B is offline   Reply With Quote