Old 07 January 2019, 21:52   #1

Town: Bristol
Boat name: Beryl
Make: Mercury Ocean Runner
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
Rib insurance

Hi Guys,
Can anyone help me with a company who will insure my Mercury 420 and still cover it against theft while its tied to Whitestrand in Salcombe overnight?
The 3 companies I have spoken to so far will only cover it if it’s locked on a trailer.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Sam
Old 07 January 2019, 23:54   #2

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Hi Sam,
Mercia Marine were the only insurer willing to insure me for Whitestrand whilst on holiday for the month of June and at no extra cost. It was specifically named on the policy. They were also extremely competitive.

However when I got down there and surveyed it first hand there was no way I would use it. It dries out twice a day onto stones, unguarded prop blades are ready to do damage, boats are bumping together four deep, most boats there are low value and knackered, people scramble over other boats to access their own boat - total chaos!

It might pay to phone Reddish Marine or Dennis Hobday at Salcombe Sea School who has dozens of moorings there. The water taxi was fairly cheap as a shuttle I think.

I found the best option is to haul out nightly and use the slipway which is free after paying the reasonable estuary dues for the year. I take the boat back to our caravan site but it might pay to use the boat park offsetting a daily trailer parking fee (£8 each for car and trailer per day, half price after 2.30pm)

Another option might be to use nearby Hope Cove but this also will dry out at least onto sand. It's possible to park car and trailer for free at the roadside, using the lifeboat ramp to launch. Some folk moor at South Sands and use a paddle board to get back in. Parking here is difficult though.
Old 08 January 2019, 06:57   #3

Town: Plymouth
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 200
MMSI: 232019634
I've use Y Yacht Insurance for many years now across my hard hulls and now my RIB.
They do come very highly recommended and are worth a look.
Old 08 January 2019, 08:54   #4

Tanks for the advice and recommendations. I'll give them a try.
Old 08 January 2019, 09:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limecc View Post
Hi Sam,
Mercia Marine were the only insurer willing to insure me for Whitestrand whilst on holiday for the month of June and at no extra cost. It was specifically named on the policy. They were also extremely competitive.

However when I got down there and surveyed it first hand there was no way I would use it. It dries out twice a day onto stones, unguarded prop blades are ready to do damage, boats are bumping together four deep, most boats there are low value and knackered, people scramble over other boats to access their own boat - total chaos!

It might pay to phone Reddish Marine or Dennis Hobday at Salcombe Sea School who has dozens of moorings there. The water taxi was fairly cheap as a shuttle I think.

I found the best option is to haul out nightly and use the slipway which is free after paying the reasonable estuary dues for the year. I take the boat back to our caravan site but it might pay to use the boat park offsetting a daily trailer parking fee (£8 each for car and trailer per day, half price after 2.30pm)

Another option might be to use nearby Hope Cove but this also will dry out at least onto sand. It's possible to park car and trailer for free at the roadside, using the lifeboat ramp to launch. Some folk moor at South Sands and use a paddle board to get back in. Parking here is difficult though.
During July and August they put a pontoon just off the main Whitestrand pontoon which never dries out and they provide a service over to the floating pontoon all day. I will call Mercia up and see what they say.
Cheers, Sam
Old 08 January 2019, 09:01   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprocker View Post
I've use Y Yacht Insurance for many years now across my hard hulls and now my RIB.
They do come very highly recommended and are worth a look.
Thanks, I'll give them a call and see what they say.
Old 08 January 2019, 10:20   #7

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Wells View Post
During July and August they put a pontoon just off the main Whitestrand pontoon which never dries out and they provide a service over to the floating pontoon all day. I will call Mercia up and see what they say.
Cheers, Sam

The far side of the temporary pontoon dries out onto mud, nearside is ok but likely overcrowded. TBH never saw it during peak season, only before it was removed in September.

Even the shore side of Normandy was too shallow for me to get in at lowest water.
Old 08 January 2019, 10:53   #8

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
I have used https://www.porthcawl-insurance.co.uk/get-a-quote
and had decent service not had to make a claim

Tags
rib