Old 01 October 2002, 23:02   #1

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
Rib Friendly Accomadation

Thought I would share with you all this very "Rib Friendly" Inn.

Various weekends over the summer we've been camping and trailed our boat back to the campsite after each day - we did find a campsite in Poole (Wareham) which has its own slipway which was handy.... But for last weekend we thought it might be a bit cool for camping and I had recently read an article in MBY (Not RI I'm afraid) where they had stayed in Dartmouth.

The Rib-friendly place is the Res Nova Inn

It is a barge in the middle of the river Dart which has a pontoon to tie your RIB to then its just up the gangway and your there - no waiting for taxis, no humping your bags accross the marina etc.

On the main deck is the bar and restaurant - we didn't eat there, but will try it next time - looked very good with the fresh lobster being in a keep net in the Dart - you can't get much fresher than that!!

Down below are the 12 guest cabins - one of which is on-suite. I think all have double beds and most have a single bunk on-top (The en-suite was without the bunk)

Water is piped from the bank but the electric is from a generator. Over night when the geny is switched off there are lights that work from batteries in every room and there is a 240v inverter socket for charging phones and VHF radios overnight!

In the morning - after a nice hot shower - breakfast is served by the very friendly owners, and then you RIB is ready and waiting for a whole days fun!

Throughout your stay the boats own water taxi is available to take you ashore without the worry of finding a mooring in Dartmouth.

So - yes - we'll be back....

How about a venue for a BIBOA cruise?

Anybody else with any waterfront hotels? - (None of course is better than the Pride of Bristol which came to where the Ribsters were for the SoC send-off!)

Jools
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resnova.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1092  
Old 02 October 2002, 06:06   #2

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Jools

Yes, PoB (when is the new website comming?) was 'simply the best'.

The Res Nova Looks Great. How about it as a venue for the Spring 2003 Ribnet mass meeting?

Do you have details of the costs please.

Keith ) brackets inside out to dry ( Hart
Old 02 October 2002, 06:45   #3
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Becky and I came scarily close to buying the Res Nova a few years ago. It had been on the market for about 18 months and was available at a very good price, but we were spared having to make the big decision when someone (thankfully!) beat us to it. On reflection I don't think that running a B&B, however glorified, would really have suited us.

We've stayed on board since, and Jools is dead right about it being the most convenient place for ribsters. Although the restaurant is quite posh (or was a couple of years ago), the accomodation is quite basic but there is no problem wandering in wearing salty dry suits which can be a problem elsewhere.

When we stayed there the B&B price was good, but the restaurant was seriously expensive and not such good value. However, once you've tied up alongside and had a couple of beers it is very tempting!

The aft deck is also a very good place to sit in the sun and just watch the world go by.

John
Old 02 October 2002, 19:32   #4
GED

Town: CONWY/CORFU
Boat name: The Full Morty II
Make: Air Craft/Shakespere
Length: 8m +
Engine: Etec 300hp/Etec150hp
just at the mouth of the river is the gunfield hotel, pontoons and a walkway take you into the hotel. The pontoon are usually full of ribs including their own camel rib. great food and good digs. only problem it up for sale(may be sold now).
Old 02 October 2002, 21:25   #5

Town: Newfoundland
Re: Rib Friendly Accomadation

Quote:
Originally posted by jools

How about a venue for a BIBOA cruise?

Jools
Well are you volunteering to organise something then Jools?!
Old 02 October 2002, 21:45   #6

Town: Portishead, Bristol
Boat name: "
Make: Ribcraft, Cowes Mari
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 90hp 4-strok
Send a message via AIM to jools
OOOps - forgot the price....

£55 for the en-suite for two - I think the normal rooms go for £45 (not sure though....

and the telephone number 07801 798861

Alan - Is there already an annual "West Country" cruise? - If so maybe this could be the accomadation? - -That reminds me where have I put that form for Weymouth....

John - The restaurant was quite expensive - but smelt really good - They obviously don't get any "passing" trade so most of the people that visit for dinner book well in advance. We think we might try the dinner next time.

Jools
Old 03 October 2002, 11:43   #7

Town: Newfoundland
West Country cruise

Hi Jools,

There has been a West Country cruise for the last couple of years organised by Brian and based from Plymouth. Plan has been to cruise to Cornwall one day and Devon the other over a weekend but has usually been screwed up by the weather. Everyones had fun tho'.

Would make a change to base it at Res Nova next year. Guess we would need to get in early with a block booking.

Are you going to Weymouth? I can't RIB but am going by car for the Sat Evening meal etc so will see you there,

Cheers,
Alan