Old 09 August 2004, 12:17   #1

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
Report on the Sinking of Spirit

History.. Spirit was designed and built to one thing, to take on the worlds oceans and set world records for other people to break.
Although we have had thousands of views so far it is a shame that a few people clearly have no idea what they are talking about and felt they should post comments which have only proved they are lacking in knowledge when it comes to seamanship and should reconsider their chosen hobby.

It is more than possible that the boat you are using has been built using information that we have either given or in some cases, stolen from our
findings, designing,using and building offshore boats.This report is for the genuinely interested parties and not the ones that think they know better.

Two weeks previous, Spirit was used by two girls in an attempt to circumnaviagte Ireland non stop. An unfourtunate coming together with a lobster pot meant that they had to ask for assistance but they finished the trip off 12 hours later.

The Journey
On arriving in Northern Ireland a full and detailed inspection was carried out of the craft and she was serviced and prepared for the Trans Atlantic.
Leaving Donaghadee at 22.00 hours on Sunday 1st August in a light southerly and 1800 litres of fuel, her next refueling stop was planed for a group of Islands South east of Iceland 700 miles away. With the exception of a small fuel problem in during the early hours of the night, Spirit performed as she was intended covering the first 400 miles in 22 hours.

The Sinking

A couple of minutes before 20.00hrs running at 20 knots in a large southerly swell with 3-4 metre waves and no prior indication, Spirit was crushed by a series of rogue waves causing severe damage to the first half of the boat.
The huge ingress of water destroyed everything inside the boat including all navigation and VHF communication. All this happened in less than one second.
From being afloat running good to being under water.
At this stage, there is no need to go into great detail about the rescue with the exception that the RAF, RN and everyone on board carried out their duties as a team,

Conclusion
Spirit was built to sustain forward, sideways and even turn over impacts, she was not designed for what we believe happened.

It is an understanding that rogue waves are taller than any other wave around at any particular time. having been hit by one off of Florida in 2002 this is what I believed until I watched a scentific program on rogue waves that they are ones that disappear from under the boat leaving a huge wave in front to climb up. Because there was no stuffing or anyone being thrown out of the seats or bunks we believe that the 4 meter wave that we were on, sunk while we were going along causing us to be in an instant 8 meter deep hole surrounded by two four metre waves both in front and behind. The combined weight of the waves simply crushed Spirit like tissue paper causing her to sink to an unknown depth. There are many cases each year of fishing boats disappearing and it is only the fact that the inflatable coller was still part attached to the hull that she eventually floated to the surface and we are alive to tell the story.
I hope that none of you are ever in the situation that we found ourselves in.
A full and detailed report is being prepared for the MCA in a hope that from our misfortune the knowledge we have gained may save another seamans life
Alan P
Old 09 August 2004, 12:51   #2

Town: Port St Mary
Boat name: No room for a name
Make: Honwave 2.7 ie
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 5
it is a shame that a few people clearly have no idea what they are talking about and felt they should post comments which have only proved they are lacking in knowledge when it comes to seamanship and should reconsider their chosen hobby.

Well put Allen. We never stop learning until we draw our last breath, I am sure you will agree with that.

If Eg is still with you please PM an e-mail address I may use to contact him

Best Wishes

Dave B
Old 09 August 2004, 12:57   #3

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Priddy
I hope that none of you are ever in the situation that we found ourselves in.
A full and detailed report is being prepared for the MCA in a hope that from our misfortune the knowledge we have gained may save another seamans life
Alan P
Hear, hear Alan.

We've learned a lot over the past few weeks and will always be grateful for having been part of the team.

It will be very helpful and informative (for us leisure boaters) to explain and discuss the physics of what happens to a hull in extreme situations.
There are a lot of experienced and knowledgeable people out there like yourself who may also help us by sharing what they know and have seen first hand.

Good to talk to you today and take care,

K. & P.
Old 09 August 2004, 15:53   #4

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Alan, Firstly, I am not a marine engineer or boat designer, but I feel I do have some valid points that should be addressed, and I see no logical reason why they shouldn't.

My understanding of the RIB was that it was unsinkable due to the size and strength of the tubes. I have seen a picture of the damage done to the tubes on the Ireland trip on another site, and found it on here, see :-

http://www.ribworld.com/forum/attach...achmentid=7144

Could it at all be possible that the tubes on Spirit had come to the end of their life and perhaps this was a bit much for them? I say this as you talk of the sound of an explosion at the front of the boat, could that have been one of the tubes bursting? After the split shown in the picture above, did you have a full survey done of the tubes when and if you had a repair done? You make no mention of this in your report which is concerning, as it is an obvious and very important point. I can't believe for one minute that they were not repaired, but I would have a good word with the tube inspector/repairer, it would be interesting to see what the survey said about the tubes in the report prior to the trip, did Henshaws repair the tubes? Do tubes have a lifespan, how old were these ones on the boat?

Could you also let us know from the design of the boat whether it could float with the tubes fully inflated, with the boat full of water. If so, and it was sinking, then there is no doubt that air must have come out of the tubes somehow. What kind of external force (e.g. rogue wave) would be required to burst the tubes?

I think questions like mine, and no doubt others that come, may help in some small way to piecing this together. I am sure that the answers you give will assist in establishing what may or may not have happened. I guess a number of people will be very interested as they may feel they are driving around in something unsinkable, which apparently is not the case.

I am sure that you are keeping an open mind, and that any suggestions such as mine are very welcome. I look forward to the answers.
Old 09 August 2004, 17:15   #5

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Peteb.........

I think that if you re-read Alans post you might notice that he states that the boat was completly immersed and regained the surface because the tubes were still attached to the remains of the hull.
What makes you think that the tubes has burst or failed?

If you want to see proof of "holes" in the sea, go to Hayling Island Sailing Club and look at the photo of a French trimeran of Ushant. It is just about to fall into a hole around 50m across and 10m deep which opened, and luckily closed, just in front of it. Or failing that, you may want to try a passage through the Alderney Race at full ebb in a southerly blow. Take a BIG boat if you do.

If any one knows of a link to the photo, it may well be worth posting.

Also try and think where the expression "Worse could happen at sea" came from.
Old 09 August 2004, 17:31   #6

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
My understanding of the RIB was that it was unsinkable
PeteB

I don't think there is any such thing as an unsinkable boat?

In my photo the outer layer of tape had slipped on the tubing; the tube was intact. This was due to the heavy seas from Cork to Donegal (head seas then beam then following throughout the second night, second day and third night on the Round Ireland trip.)

Full repairs were carried out and I'd say Alan will give further details. But it seems from reading what he's said and from talking to him that indeed the 'wall of water' effect on the hull caused the breach. Again the tubes seem to have helped to keep them safe.

Missus
Old 09 August 2004, 18:31   #7

Boat name: Spirit of Cardiff
Make: Ribtec
Length: 10m +
Engine: Yamaha 240hp diesel
As one who has covered many, many thousands of miles on board Spirit, I feel I should sling in my two-haporth, even though I'm no qualified boat-builder.

There is no doubt in my mind that a conventionally built RIB would not have popped up again after that initial impact. Spirit had a double layer hull with foam infill. After over 400 miles at sea she would have burned off a good ton of fuel, so there was significant buoyancy in her fuel tanks. Even with partially failed tubes she still had the capacity to float.

What you can't count on is the unpredictable nature of rogue waves, and of course we've since seen the Atlantic rowers smashed to bits by one. We saw several in the Caribbean in 2002, and they were frightening things to witness. You would hear a sound like a 747 about to crash into you. Fortunately the worst sailed past a short distance away, but we had some very close calls even so.

I think that rather than trying to say what went wrong, people should recognise that the unique features of Spirit's design were precisely what kept her afloat long enough for Alan, Eg, Kevin and Paul to be rescued. She may be gone, but Spirit's robust design should be hailed as a triumph, not a failure.

Clive Tully
Old 09 August 2004, 19:05   #8

Clive, what you have said makes sense, I was just amazed how long the boat stayed afloat waiting for the rescue. The double skinned hull and fuel tank perhaps saved the day, plus any air in the tubes. Do they make double skinned tubes of any sort like run flat tyres? I was very impressed that it also stayed upright, it must have had good stability with all that water sloshing about and waves hitting it.

I would think that some invention that gives a waterproof power supply would be good, something that would operate even when submerged, like some of the lights I use for diving, but fixed in the vessel. I keep a dive light on my boat, but hand held. The only problem is that the heat given off could damage the bulb if the light was not submerged, but I am sure there are alternative systems.

Anyway, I am sure that there will be lessons learnt for all from this.
Old 09 August 2004, 19:46   #9

Town: Dublin
Boat name: wizzard
Make: REDBAY
Engine: 225 optimax
strake

Peteb the pic that you linked to doesnt show any tube damage atall, the Rubbing Strake that the pic shows simply needed attention, it partially came away, not fully, the tubes still held air, and functioned without the full intergerity of the strake, and you also should expect a vessel flooded in this instance, to stay upright as its centre of gravity is right down low.As for Rouge Waves, never seen one in the flesh, but I have had one nasty experience of a wave dropping away, in A Torrnado plunging us nose first down and a wave rolling over us and swamping the rib.If you try to imagine this on a much bigger scale it certinally is a plausible and frightening reason.

WHEN THE CAT IS AWAY THE MICE GO TO REDBAY..............
gavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 August 2004, 19:57   #10

Town: Newport IoW
Boat name: Amean/Pronto/Rumbo
Make: Solent Rib Princess
Engine: 200hp Etec 260x 2
MMSI: lots of them
if you were to do it again, anything you would add/ change to Spirits specification, she sounds as though she was almost (sadly not) bullet proof
would a different build material ie Aluminium have made a difference, does GRP when under heavy stresses have a limited lifespan ( spirit has been through some very heavy seas in her time) will you would you do it again,
glad you are safe and well ,so sorry it ended the way it did but you are an inspiration to others so good luck for the future, and hope you continue in pushing back the boundries, and breaking records
reards Tim Griffin
www.griffmarineservices.co.uk
Old 09 August 2004, 20:04   #11

Gavin, I am aware that it is the rubbing strake, I just wondered how long tubes should last and how long these ones had been on that boat. This boat has had a good hammering and glue doesn't last forever as can be seen by the rubbing strake, just wondered if a full examination had been carried out on the rest of it, including the fittings to the hull. I must say I was impressed with the bouyancy, but to have that in an everyday RIB may be quite expensive.

I have often wondered why boats don't have a type of emergency bouyancy button, so when you are sinking you hit it and a big air bag fills the cabin, hopefully with nobody inside and keeps you afloat, easy really. (but not in this case when the cabin went for a wander )
Old 09 August 2004, 20:06   #12

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
The benefit of sitting in your armchair assessing these situations means it is easier for you to think about what could have been better and what YOU would have done.

The boat survived in a short period of time bigger waves than any of us will proabably meet in our boats over a longer period of time and even at the end of it managed to float and keep the lads safe and sound until the rescue took place.

What ever was done was done and they all survived, doesnt matter how or why they did so what ever they did they obviously did right no matter what went wrong. They are al out to tell the tale.

So it doesnt matter about fully submersable electrics and other gadgets most imortantly it is to keep a cool head and stay alive.

There i no more debate about this that and the other. The boat was well built to do what it did up to that point, if you ever have been on Spirit you will know what I am talking about.

Last year I was on Spirit on a flat calm day heading from the Needles to Portsmouth and I saw a large wake coming from a big tanker about to hit us side on. Jan and I were sat out the back whilst Clive and Alan were inside. I sat down and held on for dear life as that wave hit us side on, Jan was still holding his bottle of champers and 2 fingers on a grab rail. I sat down braced myself waited and as we boblled with very little movement over this wave I would have stopped my boat for, I felt like the worlds biggest FOOL. The boat hardly twiched and I at that point understood why this small boat went RTW in huge storms and made it. Also why the crew had so much confidence in Spirit as it is a confidence building boat, I never ever questioned it after that.

RIP Spirit.
Old 09 August 2004, 20:06   #13

Length: 5m +
MMSI: Nope
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
If you want to see proof of "holes" in the sea, go to Hayling Island Sailing Club and look at the photo of a French trimeran of Ushant. It is just about to fall into a hole around 50m across and 10m deep which opened, and luckily closed, just in front of it.
Mark.......is this the one? If it isn't It is still bloody scary.

www.martin-raget.com/eng/poster/photo.cfm?collection=1&nomcollection=Marines%20pos ters&poster=1-022003-440

Oh and check out some of the other photos on his website. Superb.
Old 09 August 2004, 20:15   #14

DeepSole, Excuse me, but I think you are talking utter nonsense Firstly what is wrong with having submersable electrics? From reports, although I never believe a word that is in the press anyway, the batteries were about gone in their torches, what then. We are all here to learn and improve from others experiences, seems that you are one who never learns, can't think of logical ways to overcome problems from lessons learnt, or just expect others to do the brain storming

As for the wash 'story', if that wash was as big as you say I would expect a decent wobble on any boat, and I certainly wouldn't let wash hit me side on with nervous passengers like you (even if the boat could take it), especially without giving them a warning that it was coming, seems you escaped by the skin of your teeth on that one
Old 09 August 2004, 20:26   #15

Town: Bradford on Avon
Boat name: tbc
Make: Sunseeker (AshleyD)
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2 x coal burners
Alan,

Thanks for posting your report - that can't have been an easy post to write. Your description of a rogue wave was graphic, interesting & bloody scary!

I would like to make the following observation: IMHO your rescue, and that of the rowers in Pink Lady yesterday, was successful for the following reasons:

1 You knew where you were.
2 You were prepared.
3 You had the right equipment & knew how to use it.

So here's the rub, how many of us who take to the water in our leisure time can say yes to all 3 of the above? I hope the answer is all of us, but I suspect that's not the case. If you have said yes then good on you, but how about the rest of the crew if you were knocked out, or fell overboard?

I think we should all learn from this positive aspect of your experience and hopefully if we ever need the rescue service we can make their job a lot easier and live to tell the tale.

Meanwhile, what should people like you and your team do? Give up adventuring? I hope not.

Regards.
Old 09 August 2004, 20:29   #16

Robin, I would be interested to know who and how that photo was taken, must have been someone with a cool head and at a bit of height to get the shot, or perhaps a computer and photo shop
Old 09 August 2004, 20:37   #17

Length: 5m +
MMSI: Nope
Quote:
Robin, I would be interested to know who and how that photo was taken, must have been someone with a cool head and at a bit of height to get the shot, or perhaps a computer and photo shop
Dunno. Wasn't there, can't pass any judgement or informed comment. I just like the picture. It makes me glad I wasn't there.
Old 09 August 2004, 21:36   #18

Town: St Martins
Boat name: MATRIX
Make: Jeanneau Leader 805
Length: 8.05
Engine: Volvo KAD 43 Diesel
Quote:
DeepSole, Excuse me, but I think you are talking utter nonsense Firstly what is wrong with having submersable electrics? From reports, although I never believe a word that is in the press anyway, the batteries were about gone in their torches, what then. We are all here to learn and improve from others experiences, seems that you are one who never learns, can't think of logical ways to overcome problems from lessons learnt, or just expect others to do the brain storming

As for the wash 'story', if that wash was as big as you say I would expect a decent wobble on any boat, and I certainly wouldn't let wash hit me side on with nervous passengers like you (even if the boat could take it), especially without giving them a warning that it was coming, seems you escaped by the skin of your teeth on that one
Pete

Submersable Electronics, what for when they are submersed you aint going to sit there saying ooh look is that a whale on the RADAR glug glug. Best to have a waterproof handheld in your grab bag or survival suit.

Me never learns, well you obviously dont know me that well. Guess your wrong again you have never met me so cant really judge me you never went on Spirit so how can you really judge what the boat was like either. I know me so I can criticise me and I also have been on Spirit, sat on it driven it etc etc Didnt use the toilet though it was a bit drafty.

Believe me I am no worried passenger if you have ever been on my boat arond the C I you will know that. Again you would of had to have been there on the boat experiencing what I did to criticise.

Alan did not alter course cos he knew that it was nowt to worry about so neednt give any warning. I judged the wave to move the boat with its small beam a much greater distance than it did. My 26 footer would have been all over the show in comparison but I judged wrong and the boat handled it perfectly, much better than all of the RIBs I have been in.

Were you there for the homecoming party? By the way lots of HAPPY smilies on your posts
Old 09 August 2004, 21:37   #19

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Alan P, Thanks for posting the update, it does sound like you were lucky to survive and a testament to the strength built into Spirit. She certainly looked in fine order when you left Donhagadee although the photos below doesn't really do her justice!

As far as Mr Peteb goes. Those who wish to understand more about his thoughts on RIBS and boating in general might do a search under the ID "Flanker" and on ybw.com under "happy1"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spiritsmall1.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	7419   Click image for larger version

Name:	spiritsmall2.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	7420   Click image for larger version

Name:	spiritsmall3.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	7421  
Old 09 August 2004, 22:00   #20

Well Dom you have met me, I sat at the same table as you with my wife and baby at Mercury marina, we had a good chat, I then spoke to a guy that was with you, could it have been your father or father in law? anyway I spoke to him for about an hour or so. Anyway, you put me off taking a boat anywhere near those islands with the rock stories

Alan, yes you will see that safety is my highest priority, unfortunately it is poo pood (is that the spelling) by some who go on a wing and a prayer. I have made it clear from the start that I respected the way that the crew had the correct equipment and the good drills carried out, there is no doubt that saved lives. It is also good to talk about the safety aspects and see if we can learn any more, I am sure that there will be feed back way above my head to RIB builders, but I can comprehend and understand the likes of being in the pitch black and having to lay my hands on something. I spent time ensuring that I knew each part of my engine, parts I could get to, hence my choice of a Volvo over the mercruiser for the impellor, I also ensured I had the correct spanners and tools to undertake any job I could. I have ensured that I have what I feel is the correct safety equipment, my kit list was again poo pood as a waste of time by some, but I have used it in anger on more than one occasion rescuing families including children. Examples are a sinking boat with 2 adults and 2 young children, I had to get them out of the water, raft to the vessel and use a pump I had on board to re float it, whilst my wife rendered first aid, including the use of our space blankets and spare dry clothing. Another one, a broken down boat sportsboat with 2 adults and 3 children on board with no communications, lifejackets or means of propulsion in a shipping lane! I towed them to safety, and after speaking to trhe coastguard was asked if the tow was going OK and if it was to take them to the slipway they launched from! I did wonder if that was in the job description of someone who was 'just passing', anyway it cost me £59 of fuel and the loss of a day out, but they did say thank you, and you never know it could be you one day.

So safe boating