Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > RIBs & ribbing
Click Here to Login

Old 14 September 2012, 19:57   #61
Dhf

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by andymr View Post
That was before we got involved pre-1996
Many thanks for the update Andy, Looked through your site and very impressed. If you ever need a test driver/helmsman please do not hesitate to contact me. I would happily offer my services free of charge all day long,

Once again I do apologise to others for causing thread drift, although with BWM being so involved in the racing sceen.....
It would be great if all you racing fella's could continue sharing your interesting experiences with us.
Regards
Paul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmuz7 View Post
This thread should have tickets, and no disrespect to anyone I wish some of you boys would open up a bit more often

pours a *virtual drink* all round

now where were we ?
+1
Old 14 September 2012, 22:24   #62

Town: Reading
Boat name: many
Make: BWM
Engine: inboard and outboard
Ha Ha thanks for the kind words Dragonhawk - I will deffo keep you in mind for some test driving...what part of Wales are you as I have some business interests in the sunny valley's - some cracking water down in your part of the world...
Old 14 September 2012, 23:19   #63

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Love the Flatacraft Merlin...Want one !
Fancy the Blue tubed yellow GRP RC18 myself. It was a venture between Ring powerboats and Chinook which started with something like an 17ft ring speed boat. Chinook did the tubes etc. At the time the smaller ribs were becoming wider as divers demanded more deck space. However, this was really narrow so light, strong and very quick. The choice of engine was also interesting. The large 1600cc capacity producing just 90hp meant a relatively stress free engine. Driven by a couple of really determined lads it was a hard boat to beat in the 100 hp class.

There was also a larger RC21 that Kevin Goulding raced with 2 x 45hp Hondas. It wasn't an out and out race boat, but more of the style driven design.

Sadly Kevin folded Chinook about 1997.

Pete
Old 15 September 2012, 00:42   #64

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul tilley
northcraft also built the deepsea range for paul lemmer
Old 15 September 2012, 01:12   #65
Dhf

Quote:
Ha Ha thanks for the kind words Dragonhawk - I will deffo keep you in mind for some test driving...what part of Wales are you as I have some business interests in the sunny valley's - some cracking water down in your part of the world...

Well what can I say
Thank you Andy for considering my offer and noting the wonderfull cruising ground we have round here, I live in pembrokeshire and can travel at a moments notice..... after a cup of tea that is,
I think I could offer you some fantastic publicity for BWM, by trying to organise a Celtic crossing race in one of those wonderfull 10m Crusader Beauties you have in your showroom. Starting from Pemb's covering the 130 approx miles across to the beautiful County of Cork, it would be an interesting race, as I must point out to you i'm disabled, I've no worries getting on off and around boats, I just can't run, but then there's not far anyone could run on a RIB, I'm not saying I stand a chance against these fine racing gentlemen, but would be an interesting challenge to say the least. and imagine how good it would make BWM look if I could come in anything other than last.
Regards
Paul.
Old 15 September 2012, 07:57   #66

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
We are also getting back into racing as we are doing the Cowes –Monte Carlo Venture Cup...
We are also entered - what boat and which class are you entered into?
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 September 2012, 16:58   #67

Town: Reading
Boat name: many
Make: BWM
Engine: inboard and outboard
Thanks again Paul PM your phone number to me...

Cookee...yes I know you are in the Venture Cup - we are useing OUR new stepped hull BWM of course not sure of the class yet as we are still a little unsure of our final weight?
Are you entering with your hard boat or a Rib???
Old 15 September 2012, 20:56   #68
Dhf

[QUOTE=andymr;488049]Thanks again Paul PM your phone number to me...
QUOTE]

Hi Andy,

I've tried sending three pm's today but every time I click submit message nothing seems to happen,
I included info on my DTI licenced boating history in the earlier messages, and lots more with no success
my mob number is 07779948211.
Sincere regards
Paul.
Old 16 September 2012, 08:44   #69

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
Wherever he is, there'll be a smell of wax.
Old 16 September 2012, 08:55   #70

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Cookee...yes I know you are in the Venture Cup - we are useing OUR new stepped hull BWM of course not sure of the class yet as we are still a little unsure of our final weight?
Are you entering with your hard boat or a Rib???
We'll be going down to the SOF in hard topped comfort without getting soaked! Give me a shout if I can help with anything, we're quite good with the rules for Marathon now!

And where are the photos!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 September 2012, 10:05   #71

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterM View Post
Love these stories ...am sure it wouldn't be possible now with H&S and risk assesment being what it is...

Love the Flatacraft Merlin...Want one !
(been offline over weekend)

there would be no chance we ran the event without any real backup I was competing but was supposed to be organising start finish times and doing a sweep of the course
the circuit race and start finish race was yards off Helensburgh pier which was full of spectators and the timings had to be between ferry landings
the First turn was a lateral bouy Cairn Dhu which in the melee to get round Andy Foster in his osprey hit and did severe damage. next year his new rib was called No Cairn Dhu
The Merlin did a fantastic race but I think Juilian had broken ribs and internal injuries after 800miles the last run from croabh to rhu 120kn round Mull of Kintyre proving very rough
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	flatacraft 1993.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	72273  
Old 03 October 2012, 15:57   #72

Town: glasgow
Boat name: arriba
Make: marlin
Length: 7m +
Engine: suzuki 300
With the help of some young geeky persons i have converted 1990 video on to you tube

bit shaky but fun enjoy
Old 06 February 2013, 01:47   #73

Town: Luxembourg
Boat name: Kalish
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Length: 6m +
Engine: 175 Mercury Optimax
RIBase
Hi Guys,

Dont know if you remember, there was 2 Belgian crew around scotland in 1990 or 1991 / 92. I found back some old tapes and working to digitalize them.
crafts were from Jean Pierre Waroux, a Sinlinger with twin 70/90HP (boat name ; goodwin), and there was also a Delta with twin XR2 (boat name Riba3)

About the phantom boat with a flight cokpit, friend bought it 7 years ago, repaired and sold it in France after 2 - 3 years. boat is ribbing in the French races.

I will try to set up a slideshow and share the videos. i also have the round of britain 1990 - 1991 ... 2 same Belgian crews, Delta rib has a engine issue, i know that Alan Priddy and Jan Falkowsky were also joining the race on 7m ribtec's.

if you have pics or vids about these races, plz share
cheers
gilles
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2020, 21:36   #74

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Flatacraft
Make: Flatacraft
Engine: 200
Flatacraft Round Scotland 1992 ‘Blue Buoy Racer’

Hi, new to this forum. Have been boating for many years and have a collection of old Flatacraft Ribs, I love them. Does anyone on here recall a boat called ‘ Blue Buoy Racer’ a blue Flatacraft F6 raced in the early years round Scotland with a variety of rigs, and even celebrities(Jim Davidson) he raced it with twin Mercs, Paul Lemmer ran it with a 200Yam. Anyway would love to know of it’s whereabouts if anyone has any info where it might be, I’m sure it’s probably sat in a barn gathering dust
Old 21 March 2020, 09:52   #75

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eltopher View Post
Hi, new to this forum. Have been boating for many years and have a collection of old Flatacraft Ribs, I love them. Does anyone on here recall a boat called ‘ Blue Buoy Racer’ a blue Flatacraft F6 raced in the early years round Scotland with a variety of rigs, and even celebrities(Jim Davidson) he raced it with twin Mercs, Paul Lemmer ran it with a 200Yam. Anyway would love to know of it’s whereabouts if anyone has any info where it might be, I’m sure it’s probably sat in a barn gathering dust

Not sure if it’s the same one, but I bought a blue 6m Flatacraft from Paul about five years ago. I bought it for the engines and sold it on shortly after. It popped up again on eBay a year or so ago with a new engine on.
Old 06 April 2020, 12:14   #76

Thanks Tim. I think I know the boat you are talking about. If its the one im thinking it was the last Flatatcraft Force 6 ever built, I was part of the team at that time who built her. It was a Tenderlux style with Bow Dodger and dashboard called 'The Western Wizard'. Ive seen it pop up a few times. See pic below of Blue Buoy Racer. Do you have contact details for Paul Lemmer? he might be a good shout as knows all Ribs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4601[1].jpg
Views:	159
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	132536  
Old 06 April 2020, 12:31   #77

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
You guys may like to have a look at some of the images in one of my galleries:

https://www.rib.net/forum/members/1181-albums290.html

My father had one of the first Force4s and swapped it for a much later one years later.
I remember we used to almost get mobbed on beaches with people asking what it was because nobody had seen a RIB before.
I inherited the second one and stuck a Suzuki DT55 on it, which was fun.

Is Tony still alive/around?
I remember him being really nice to me as a young lad when I visited the factory with my Father. Then being really helpful years later when I was doing some work on the orange one.

The picture below shows my Fathers old one wheich he sold to a family friend, his newer one, and another that another family friend brought having had just one ride in my fathers second one.

Nasher
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RNflat4.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	132537  
Old 06 April 2020, 15:54   #78

Nasher
Thats great to hear. Flatacraft's have been in our family for years. I also remember being a small boy heading to Southampton Boat Show to test out their new boats. Tony is a great guy and I went on from leaving school to work for him for around 5 years which started me off in the marine trade. Tony is all good, albeit less involved in boats these days. He is happy enjoying his retirement. I have a fleet of Flatacraft's that Tony helps with advice and info to assist in refurb.

That is a lovely collection of F4's you had, and ingenious boat of its time. What great memories

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4551[1].jpg
Views:	162
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	132539  
Old 06 April 2020, 18:05   #79

Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
My dad had a very early (73 I think) force 4 we purchased off a Boeing / airbus engineer. Prior to us buying it he had fitted it with a short shaft Yamaha mariner 55 and welded up an anodised aluminium seat frame for all four seats with titanium / stainless rose jointed supports from all four engine bolts down to the frame and floor, and fabricated a shallow alloy underfloor tank in the rear so the floor was flush.

My dad took it to Syston a couple of times in late 90s for Tony to do some repair work, it had the early type tube ends which needed replacing- the first time he saw it he was amazed at the engineering which had gone into it. Wish we still had it, the fabric was starting to blister an delaminate, he sold it on early 2000s, I keep an eye on eBay for it, or another one in excellent condition. Ive owned over 50 boats but that force 4 was probably my favourite!
Old 07 April 2020, 07:44   #80

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Thanks guys.
Tony won't have a clue who I am, but say hi and thank him for all my wonderful memories.

I wish I had room for another Force 4.
I've always wanted to put the engine and jet from a powerful PWC into one.

Nasher.

Tags
cape wrath, early years, rib racing