Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 08 April 2009, 03:49   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
Rayglass Protector

Does anyone here have any first hand experience of both the company and the boats?

Looking at the 7.5 center console with single outboard (300 Verado)

So far information on them is limited to their website and the review on Rib international last month which was less than complementry.

thanks
Howard.
__________________

__________________
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2009, 04:00   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Saltash, Cornwall
Make: Rib less:-(
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 693
Have a search on here for ginger Coastie he had a bigger protector down in Falmouth direction which I think he has now sold, but there are some interesting threads on them.
RGds
James
__________________

__________________
Jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2009, 04:04   #3
Member
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
Does anyone here have any first hand experience of both the company and the boats?

Looking at the 7.5 center console with single outboard (300 Verado)

So far information on them is limited to their website and the review on Rib international last month which was less than complementry.

thanks
Howard.
?.........?
__________________
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2009, 04:08   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
dont worry Tony, all is not lost!!

i like the look of the 7.5 and the design of the console and space for toilet is genius!

problem is the 7.5 isnt CE marked, Rayglass dont want to give me a price ex works for some reason so i am loosing interest fast!!

they reckon with a 300 verado the 7.5 would get around 48 Mph which just isnt enough for a boat with that sort of power so its back to the hunt i think!
__________________
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2009, 04:11   #5
Member
 
Tony's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Channel Islands
Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Length: 8m +
Engine: 350Sci Verado
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
dont worry Tony, all is not lost!!

i like the look of the 7.5 and the design of the console and space for toilet is genius!

problem is the 7.5 isnt CE marked, Rayglass dont want to give me a price ex works for some reason so i am loosing interest fast!!

they reckon with a 300 verado the 7.5 would get around 48 Mph which just isnt enough for a boat with that sort of power so its back to the hunt i think!
phew,,,getting me worried there!! I know where there is a lovely used Scorpion 8.5 for sale..no loo though..
__________________
Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2009, 04:22   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
i started off liking the cabin ones but after our hard boat experience, would rather go back to something simple, open and fast cruising!

The rib international review was pretty scathing about the slamming and lack of speed but i am sure there must be some benefits to the Protector Hull as they sell lots and have many happy customers.

hence reason for first hand experience of the boats.... anyone?? not sure gingercoaostie reads these anymore but i do remember seeing the threads when it first appeared!
__________________
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2009, 04:52   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
i started off liking the cabin ones but after our hard boat experience, would rather go back to something simple, open and fast cruising!

The rib international review was pretty scathing about the slamming and lack of speed but i am sure there must be some benefits to the Protector Hull as they sell lots and have many happy customers.

hence reason for first hand experience of the boats.... anyone?? not sure gingercoaostie reads these anymore but i do remember seeing the threads when it first appeared!
G/coastie's Rayglass is now a tender to a Super super yacht.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2009, 05:10   #8
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Zippy there was another thread here not that long ago on the same topic. Not sure it got any more information - but I think it did highlight that the RI article was about a longer hull?
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2009, 05:24   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: New Forest
Boat name: Charlie Brown
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 275 Verado
MMSI: 235069179
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via MSN to Zippy
yea,

think there was one about engines for the 8.5 meter cabin. the review was on the 8.5 cabin also.

the cabin one looks nice but not what we are after. we want fast, open boating this time around. day trips and longer runs when staying ashore.

i guess as the 7.5 isnt CE marked there are not many around to look at!
__________________
Zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 April 2009, 08:02   #10
Member
 
Nasher's Avatar
 
Country: Other
Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post

i guess as the 7.5 isnt CE marked there are not many around to look at!
Zippy

There is one around around the Solent somewhere as I've seen it cruise up the entrance into Langstone harbour at least twice in the last couple of years, but don't know where it goes after that.

I find it hard to judge what I think of it as its an all white boat, tubes, hull console, and even Bimini. Tends to put me off.

Nasher
__________________

__________________
RIBBED For extra pleasure.
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Member of the Bombard 380 Aerotec club
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.