Old 30 April 2018, 21:58   #1

Town: maine
Length: 3m +
PVC Seams Leaking

Hi all,

I have a quicksilver pvc rib that has several areas where the seam tape is separating and underneath the seam is leaking slightly.

I have some aquaseal and syringes that I can get into small areas. Sounds easy, I speculate that I could just hit it with some aquaseal every time I spot a leak.

I also have some Weaver pvc adhesive that I can use to rip up some of the tape and seams to recement the areas in a more detailed repair.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6156.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	124538
Old 30 April 2018, 22:54   #2

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Forget Aquaseal. If seam is opening, then 2-part PVC glue repair is required. Put it like this, you don't want to be at sea when the seam fails. Check out Polymarine site for gluing instructions and preparation. In US there will be equivalent Bostik glue process.
Old 01 May 2018, 12:30   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Forget Aquaseal. If seam is opening, then 2-part PVC glue repair is required. Put it like this, you don't want to be at sea when the seam fails. Check out Polymarine site for gluing instructions and preparation. In US there will be equivalent Bostik glue process.

Thanks Spartacus,

As a follow up question, should I only repair the delaminated areas or rip those back maybe a couple more inches or should I rip the whole tape off and re-glue from scratch?

Thanks for any help!
Old 01 May 2018, 19:15   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by devildog1994 View Post
As a follow up question, should I only repair the delaminated areas or rip those back maybe a couple more inches or should I rip the whole tape off and re-glue from scratch?
Stick to the areas where it's failed. The danger of hauling off the seam tape is creating a bigger job than you're actually able to undertake.

Might be worth looking for a replacement boat, or undertaking a full refurbishment at the end of the season if other areas are looking suspect.
Old 03 May 2018, 02:32   #5

Town: Gatineau (Aylmer),Quebec
Boat name: Bombard Explorer
Make: Zodiac
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude E-Tec 115
PVC Seams Leaking

Well, sounds to me like it might be the beginning of the end for the Quicksilver. But I may be wrong. If you choose to repair the seams however, I would use Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) and sandpaper to clean the seams and Zodiac 7096 PVC two part adhesive to seal them. Annapolis Inflatables, MD has the adhesive at a good price and Hamilton Marine, ME has the MEK. To insure a strong bond, the area that has been sealed must be smoothed strongly with a wooden, plastic or metal spatula within 20 minutes of the third adhesive coat and the smoothing should be done continuously for five to ten minutes.
Old 03 May 2018, 11:25   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navajoturquoise View Post
Well, sounds to me like it might be the beginning of the end for the Quicksilver. But I may be wrong. If you choose to repair the seams however, I would use Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) and sandpaper to clean the seams and Zodiac 7096 PVC two part adhesive to seal them. Annapolis Inflatables, MD has the adhesive at a good price and Hamilton Marine, ME has the MEK. To insure a strong bond, the area that has been sealed must be smoothed strongly with a wooden, plastic or metal spatula within 20 minutes of the third adhesive coat and the smoothing should be done continuously for five to ten minutes.

Thanks Navajo!

I keep hearing that my days might be numbered so I just want to clarify...

I’m a yankee engineer so is it reasonable to extend the boat life by just repairing anything that I find leaking and keep using the boat or is this thing going to just blow up on me some day?

I can get a inexhaustible supply of mek and pvc adhesive so why not just keep making repairs in perpetuity?

Coincidentally I was just in Annapolis 2 days ago...also have been in Hamilton many times as well.

Thanks for any info.