Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
I like your bilge pump outlet - looks kinda familiar
Old 12 October 2007, 20:17   #142

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
You have done a great job - a boat to be proud of!!!
Old 17 October 2007, 22:40   #143

Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
No piccis today I'm afraid.

Spent the day reducing the nose weight of the trailer by moving the wheels forward by about 12" or so. The must have reduced the weight from 150kg's (couldn't lift the trailer nose at all) to 50kg's. Kev (Aging Youth) and myself did some calculations to try to work out a theoretical nose weight with a full tank of fuel and came to the conclusion that with all the kit and 200l of fuel the nose weight should be in the region of about 120kg's Max, which is fine for my little jeep. So a job well done!

It turned into a mini RIBnet meet today actually, with Paul (Jackeen) and Pete 7 coming round to say hello too.

I'm now turning my attention to the seats and stainless, I was picking Kevs brains with regards seat design and how the seats would open without hitting seat backs, also what shape seats to have and where the seat backs should be positioned relative to body position.

I thought I'd found someone locally who was going to do the stainless, he came in at a very resonable price and was realy up for it, but I'm having trouble contacting him and fear that I'll be forced into going to one of the more expensive guys just to get the boat in the water.

The upholstery is a little bit better and have some possible guys in place for 11 pieces in less than a two week turnaround. At about £370 all in. That will consist of 5 base cushions, two seat backs and 4 wings. The bench seat back will get built next year and to get around the material fade problem between old and new I'll have the seat back made in a completely different colour.

I'll phone Power tech tomorrow to arrange the final Rig of the Engine and to get it PDIed.

Question: Does £500 for a part Rig sound expensive? I've pulled though all the wires from console to transom, connected all fuel lines and oil tank etc all the dealer has to do is connect the engine end and set-up engine controls, prime the oil system though, prime the fuel system though, connect the battery cables and a few other leads under the console (ones that go to gauges and to the throttle). And to bleed the steering system though (oil supplied by me). Then he has to PDI the engine and set-up using the computer (I guess) and make sure I have a valid balance of the warantee remaining transfered to my name.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2007, 22:54   #144

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
Question: Does £500 for a part Rig sound expensive?
Yes
Old 17 October 2007, 22:59   #145

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
If it was being done as part of a complete build then £500 does sound a lot.
Old 17 October 2007, 23:03   #146

If he was supplying a full tank of XD50 and the hydraulic oil it would be so bad, but they're extras

I guess I'll have to take it to a main dealers for the PDI bit and to claim the remainer of the warantee.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 18 October 2007, 06:44   #147

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
all the dealer has to do is connect the engine end and set-up engine controls, prime the oil system though, prime the fuel system though, connect the battery cables and a few other leads under the console (ones that go to gauges and to the throttle). And to bleed the steering system though (oil supplied by me).
Andy why don't you do this lot yourself? with all the knowledgable chaps you seem to have visiting you it would not take long to do surely?

Chris
Old 18 October 2007, 06:45   #148

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Also why not get a quote from Lee or Mark at Fairweather to do the PDI and warrantly bit for you. £500 is a lot to pay even if they do all the bits you have left to do.

Chris.
Old 18 October 2007, 08:23   #149
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
No piccis today I'm afraid.

Spent the day reducing the nose weight of the trailer by moving the wheels forward by about 12" or so. The must have reduced the weight from 150kg's (couldn't lift the trailer nose at all) to 50kg's. Kev (Aging Youth) and myself did some calculations to try to work out a theoretical nose weight with a full tank of fuel and came to the conclusion that with all the kit and 200l of fuel the nose weight should be in the region of about 120kg's Max, which is fine for my little jeep. So a job well done!
On mine the trailer coupling has a max nose weight (100kg) that we worked to and checked this with a nose weight scale, but I assume you can get different rated couplings.

James
Old 18 October 2007, 08:29   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Andy why don't you do this lot yourself? with all the knowledgable chaps you seem to have visiting you it would not take long to do surely?

Chris

I would do it myself but can't as that would invalidate the Warrantee that remains and I still think it needs linking to the computer.

As for using my local guy, he fell out of favor with me at RIBBEX when I waited 10mins for him to speak to a customer, he told me he'd be 2 mins, struck up another conversation and then came back to me told me he'll be with me in a mo and wandered off to talk to someone else for God knows how long. after 30 mins I got fed up and figured that he obviously didn't want my trade.

Ron Hale is a good dealer and been very helpful in the past so I might tap him up, but he's not a BRP main dealer.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 18 October 2007, 08:39   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedajim View Post
On mine the trailer coupling has a max nose weight (100kg) that we worked to and checked this with a nose weight scale, but I assume you can get different rated couplings.

James
I don't know the nose weight rating for the coupling James, I am working to the 10% rule where the nose weight should be proportional to the weight of the trailer and boat. The nose weight will always vary as there'll be different fuel loads on board but ball park target is about 100kgs.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 18 October 2007, 11:21   #152

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Andy

Be careful as the max noseweight is often specified in the tow car manual.

Worth checking you've not gone OTT

Nasher
Old 18 October 2007, 11:26   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Andy

Be careful as the max noseweight is often specified in the tow car manual.

Worth checking you've not gone OTT

Nasher
Nose weight in the manual is 100kg's so plus or minus 20kgs I recon will be OK, I think the noseweight for the tow from Wolverhampton was about 100ish and she towed like a deam.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 18 October 2007, 11:41   #154

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
I am working to the 10% rule
Yes we know, have you been taking lessons from that small round chap in Sarfhampton? so stop talking and get it finished or the locals with be naming it Aquaphobic

How does that engine fit btw ?

Pete
Old 18 October 2007, 12:00   #155

Been running round town like a blue assed fly this morning.

I'm just off to the pub for lunch and will have an offer up of the engine this afternoon.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 18 October 2007, 13:04   #156

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
Andy £500 sounds way to much I paid £560 to have my old engine removed & new one fitted!! & I did nothing!!!!
Old 18 October 2007, 13:23   #157

Well I've been looking at the invoice and it seems that I paid extra for the top mounted throttle that was included in that price, although on a different note there is an outstanding balance to be paid on the Control cables....It's all looking very messy

I just want to get it sorted now and have booked the Osprey and Evinrude in next Tuesday for collection on Friday morning, now if only I had my seats sorted I'd be out the following weekend .

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 18 October 2007, 13:44   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
How does that engine fit btw ?

Pete
Tried the engine just now and unless I mount it on a massive bracket that allows the whole leg to be lifted clear without tilting, it won't fit. The other problem is that I don't know where the water line will come up the transom and gut feelingis that the cover join is a little close to the water line. Might have to be a long shaft.

Looks Slow but is Fast
Old 18 October 2007, 16:42   #159

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Quote:
.... The other problem is that I don't know where the water line will come up the transom ...
An inch or two above the underside of the toobs
Old 23 October 2007, 11:47   #160

Stuck 80 litres of unleaded in the tank this morning and trundled off to Power Tech this morning to have the Cables, wires, tubes etc attached and set up, I'm having the steering done as well. Should be PDI'ed and ready to run by the weekend

Just waiting on the Seat backs, these should turn up on Friday and are being made from 1.25" diameter tubing so should be solid units. Once these are in place I'll order the Upholstery which have been quoted as being ready in two weeks from order date. Just have to decide on the colour for the seat upholstery but am favoring grey seats with blue piping.

Might just be perswaded to take her out this weekend with all things being equal. This isn't fun time, it's just to test that the engine is set-up correctly

Looks Slow but is Fast