Old 14 May 2011, 13:20   #1

Town: Traverse city
Make: Formenti ZAR 53
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Pressure relief valves

Hi,

I'm located in the U.S. so Ribs aren't as widely popular as in Europe and finding parts for foreign ribs is very hard. The ZAR 53 that I have doesn't have pressure relief valves and I feel like these are quite important. Does anyone know of aftermarket pressure relief valves for sale that screw into the existing non pressure relief valves? I would prefer to not have to cut the tubes open. Are the valves pretty much universal and will fit a number of boats with which mine is hopefully included?

Just a thought I have had, why don't people fill the tubes with foam so that there isn't the trouble of air pressure and holes in the tubes? I know, then it would be an RB rather than RIB but that's okay...

Thanks for the help
Old 14 May 2011, 18:24   #2
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh321 View Post
Hi,

I'm located in the U.S. so Ribs aren't as widely popular as in Europe and finding parts for foreign ribs is very hard. The ZAR 53 that I have doesn't have pressure relief valves and I feel like these are quite important. Does anyone know of aftermarket pressure relief valves for sale that screw into the existing non pressure relief valves? I would prefer to not have to cut the tubes open. Are the valves pretty much universal and will fit a number of boats with which mine is hopefully included?
I don't think anyone makes an integrated inflation and pressure release valve. This will give you an idea of the range that is available http://www.ibs-boats.co.uk/download/...talogue-08.pdf you might want to check out ribshop (trade members on here) too - although I couldn't see pressure relief valves in a quick look round their shop.

Quote:
Just a thought I have had, why don't people fill the tubes with foam so that there isn't the trouble of air pressure and holes in the tubes? I know, then it would be an RB rather than RIB but that's okay...
Some people do (e.g. your own CG's "Safeboats" do this) but it needs to be designed that way (there are various threads on here about retrofitting foam and its generally agreed to be a bad idea).
Old 15 May 2011, 23:59   #3

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Man of Rubber (Yeah; I know...) sells Leafied A-6 Pressure relief valves; as stated above, there isn't and inflate+pressure relief all-in-one valve.

jky
Old 16 May 2011, 00:21   #4

Town: Traverse city
Make: Formenti ZAR 53
Engine: Suzuki 140
So am I under the wrong impression here and these valves go in the tubes in a different place than the inflation valves and are separate from them?
Old 16 May 2011, 04:08   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh321 View Post
So am I under the wrong impression here and these valves go in the tubes in a different place than the inflation valves and are separate from them?
Yes, spot on.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2011, 09:29   #6

Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Engine: Etec 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyasaki View Post
Man of Rubber (Yeah; I know...) sells Leafied A-6 Pressure relief valves; as stated above, there isn't and inflate+pressure relief all-in-one valve.

jky
There might have been. I came up with an idea for one a few years ago when I had my tube problems and wanted PRV's I could fit on without cutting the tubes. I sent an email to Leafield with details of the concept but they never even bothered to reply

The valves are usually fitted in pairs with the inflation valve and the PRV side by side for each chamber. You can see the valves for the centre and rear chambers of the starboard tube on my Vipermax in the attached photo, the bow chamber has one fitted either side for symmetry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00326.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	59385  

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2011, 17:52   #7

Town: Portsmouth
Boat name: Not sure
Make: ABC/Priddy
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 500 FPT
We have an old MOD Tornado RIB that the tubes were knackerd and we needed to use it for a season so we took the valves out and filled the front section with expanding foam. It did the job for three years and Henshaws are just about to make the tubes now. ( Chris, I will be bringing the old ones up on Thursday) Alan P