Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 01 March 2009, 18:16   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
http://www.marine-matters.co.uk/file...e_syllabus.pdf

This is what the course covers. My instructor covered all these things - I suppose for someone who has no experience of any kind they would be very valuable but if you HAVE spent some time at sea before the chances are you would already know most of these things.

And yes I went on to do the proper safety boat certificate.
__________________

__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2009, 18:26   #12
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
And yes I went on to do the proper safety boat certificate.
ah so not on the same 2 days when you were doing the PB2?
__________________
Poly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2009, 18:33   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
...the instructor was a bit of a nutter
Who did you do your training with, Codprawn?
__________________
Downhilldai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 March 2009, 22:07   #14
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
ah so not on the same 2 days when you were doing the PB2?
No straight after.
__________________
codprawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2009, 03:52   #15
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn View Post
I ended up getting a safety boat certificate as he could see I was a bit beyond the PB2 level.
Hmmm I smell something funny.
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
Chris Stevens

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2009, 04:22   #16
Member
 
Hightower's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Fareham
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 7,855
I ran my RIB without a PBII course for years and ran a few motor boats years ago too without a licence.

Whilst I would suggest that you take your PBII course to give you some experience, to learn from the outset the correct way of doing things and to possibly to knock your insurance premiums down as well. I would suggest that if you're a confident, practical minded person and not a risk taker, that this isn't nessesary.

I never had any mishaps caused by my own doings before I got my licence. I think that if you really have the interest then you will do the homework yourself, there are lots of books and internet sites to help you.

I did however take my PBII course a couple of years ago and saved some 's by replacing someone that couldn't make the course. I had a really fun day out, even if it was bloody cold. I didn't however actually learn too much on the boat handling side or the checks etc. We did however take some bearings whilst out and had to plot these on a map in the classroom along with some basic nav and this I had never done.

So I would suggest you take a PBII course if you have never controlled a powerful boat before and need some confidence, otherwise take it easy and go out with someone with some experience or tag along with a cruise.
__________________
Andy

Looks Slow but is Fast
Member of the ebay Blue RIB cover club.
Hightower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2009, 06:11   #17
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Dorset & Hants
Boat name: Streaker/Orange
Make: Avon/Ribcraft
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50Yam/25 Mariner
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,551
Not sure where this going - oh heading straight to bilges ?


Have run dinghys, Jetski , Ribs ( x3 ) SIBs (x2) for about 8 years & I dont have any qualification - I try & rely on a rare thing nowadays COMMON SENSE & building on experiance. It helps I have done DR Navigation for aircraft for PPL & also hold relavant radio licence - so you have to demonstrate a suitable degree of risk assesment & thinking about limitations of yourself & kit.

I can see both sides to the 'qulaifications' debate, but does having PB2 does not make you immune form being stupid,making daft mistakes, or being ctaken by surprise by bad weather? I'm sure it reduces it but doesn't make you perfect. MY feeling is if PB2 was a more 'testing' experiance you would see people 'failing' it more ( like driving test).

How many people do you know that have 'failed' to obtain PB2 after 2 days ? If someone has years ( not days) real life experiance surely that counts for a huge amount ( as much as 2 days professional teaching I think)
__________________
PeterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2009, 06:46   #18
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
Not sure where this going - oh heading straight to bilges ?
Not yet! But I have split the training discussion into its own thread.
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2009, 07:05   #19
Administrator
 
John Kennett's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 6,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
I ran my RIB without a PBII course for years and ran a few motor boats years ago too without a licence.
And you still don't have a licence. A level 2 certificate indicates that you have had some basic instruction, to a formal syllabus (or have been assessed and found to have equivalent skills). No more, no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroady View Post
I can see both sides to the 'qulaifications' debate, but does having PB2 does not make you immune form being stupid,making daft mistakes, or being ctaken by surprise by bad weather?
Of course it doesn't.

People who have a qualification and therefore think they know it all can be a problem to themselves and others. On the other hand, people who think they know it all and don't need any training can also be a problem to themselves and others.

Some people prefer to work things out themselves, and if they're not idiots then that's fine. There's plenty of information that they can read up on, and with a bit of care there's no reason why they shouldn't have a safe and enjoyable time without doing any courses.

However, if you're starting out then a couple of days of training will give you a good understanding of how things work and make it less likely that you will learn difficult lessons the hard way. The certificate just shows that you have done an standard course.

If you've got a bit more experience then you should be able to look at the course syllabus and decide whether you would benefit from the training. If you want a certificate for some reason (like to get an ICC or to frame and hang up over the mantlepiece) then you can do a direct assessment if you already have the skills and don't need to do the training course.

Training and qualifications are closely linked, but they're not the same thing.
__________________
John Kennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 March 2009, 07:24   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Make: HumberOceanOffshore
Length: 8m +
Engine: Volvo KAD300/DPX
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
... I disagree, how does canoeing prepare you for handling a Powerboat? ...
You learn a lot about the water. How waves work and effect you, how to use them to your advantage, how a boat turns, how to ferry glide, how to reduce the possibility of a broach, how to deal with cold and fatigue, how the tides work, how eddies, back eddies and currents form....there's more, you want me to continue?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a great one for formal training and I've only done it when I had a need for the certificates it provided. I've also seen poor practise carried out be trainers so that road isn't always flawless. However, folk enter boating by different routes and have varying degrees of knowledge, ability, experience and savvy so I doubt that one suitable route for all is to be found.

What my training days did provide, though, was contact with like minded people and it was worth doing for that alone.
__________________

__________________
JW.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.