Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 25 May 2011, 15:18   #31
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Jack, it is a particular issue in one area of the UK right now. It has a high density of boats (and ribs) which makes it "easy pickings" and also makes a rib on the move less noticeable. On top of that it is relatively convenient for getting boats out the country by ferry or container. My guess is it is all one gang and eventually they will get caught or disrupted and everyone will go back to being pretty relaxed about it.

Its easy to see why RIBs on trailers are so easy to nick though. Would you leave a suitcase with 20k in it sitting in a deserted boat yard with virtually no security?
One thing got me thinking last night, a couple of thefts have been from peoples homes in areas around the new forest and miles away from a marina, so unless the gang is driving round various country side area,s On the off chance which I don't think is the case, I think they could possibly be following people home. Perhaps they turn up at slipways at the end of the day and look for a nice boat going back on a trailer and follow them home to later nick it. For example one was stolen from lepe and you have to go out of your way to get there it isn't on the way to anywhere.
__________________

__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 15:36   #32
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
One thing got me thinking last night, a couple of thefts have been from peoples homes in areas around the new forest and miles away from a marina, so unless the gang is driving round various country side area,s On the off chance which I don't think is the case, I think they could possibly be following people home. Perhaps they turn up at slipways at the end of the day and look for a nice boat going back on a trailer and follow them home to later nick it. For example one was stolen from lepe and you have to go out of your way to get there it isn't on the way to anywhere.
That is certainly the case with very expensive mountain bike thefts. Spotted on roof racks / or at trail centres and then followed home. Secure garages, out of site, locked inside the garage and yet they still get nicked - its not just chance. As with boats there are definitely areas of the country which are "hot spots".
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 17:11   #33
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
I've been keeping an eye on the issues of recording trips and the threads regarding it but am left wondering why we think the police are actually going to take note of this particular area of thefts over and above any other crimes such as caravans, motor bikes or cars.

Please don't get me wrong, it's a massive issue and 8 in one area is a horrendous amount which clearly shows a major problem. At the same time though I wonder how many cars have been stolen, or bikes, or houses broken in to. You see my point.

Every recreational "group" would argue that their field deserves particular attention. Yes in an ideal world every towing boat would be stopped, logged checked but the police already struggle with day to day responsibilities and to think it reasonable to expect such actions is naive IMO.

How many cars are driving around on the roads with no insurance or no licences ? Or how many are cloned. It's a far bigger problem then boat theft but you don't see anybody want every car on the motorway stopped and checked. Ok ANPR does check a lot but is by no means conclusive

Maybe a proper, mandatory registration is required on all trailers (be it caravan, horse box or boat) where the details are matched with it's towing vehicle and can be "pinged" on the police ANPR trackers. Something has to be done and for my money that would be better then being stopped every 10 mins.

But then I'd guess we would all moan that it's another tax from our governments....

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 17:20   #34
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: midlands
Boat name: robeena
Make: honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: twatsu 40
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 172
As a member of two other forums, ford transit forum and sportbike forum , i see that theft is on the up just as much across the board .. Its a sign of the times im afraid , perhaps youre right, chassis numbers an everything ought be made mandatory,, mind you our vans and bikes are getting nicked equally as much , or more so than boats, trailers and outboards , so that too may be futile .. The only answer i see is be vigilant to the point of paranoia

If my transit were to be pinched when holidaying, the chances are , my caravan will be on the back of it , plus my boat and motorbike plus tools will be inside it .
__________________
TIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 17:25   #35
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMO
As a member of two other forums, ford transit forum and sportbike forum , i see that theft is on the up just as much across the board .. Its a sign of the times im afraid , perhaps youre right, chassis numbers an everything ought be made mandatory,, mind you our vans and bikes are getting nicked equally as much , or more so than boats, trailers and outboards , so that too may be futile .. The only answer i see is be vigilant to the point of paranoia
Well said!!

That's my point. Where do you stop and what "item" is more important than another. Non boating members of the public would question why the police speed all day stopping boats when they could be doing "better" things with their time. And so on

Huge debating topic

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 17:28   #36
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: midlands
Boat name: robeena
Make: honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: twatsu 40
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Well said!!

That's my point. Where do you stop and what "item" is more important than another. Non boating members of the public would question why the police speed all day stopping boats when they could be doing "better" things with their time. And so on

Huge debating topic

Peter @ Boatsandoutboards4sale ~ askboatsandoutboards4sale@sky.com ~ 07930 421007
In my case,, i just have to make sure my van is well secured and alarmed . My caravan has hitchlock and shock sensors too , even a step pad on the doorstep . vans immobilised and double deadlocked and alarmed with large round asplock on rear and sideloader, a deisel shut off tap too,, all i have on my boat is a slidelock on the OB when its setup.
__________________
TIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 18:04   #37
Member
 
havener's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Far west!
Boat name: Vigilant
Make: Humber
Length: 6m +
Engine: 90hp
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 505
Try farming for thefts, it's an absolute epedemic. Friend of mine had two quads nicked, two weeks later they came back for the replacements, and helped themselves to the red diesel tank contents and took 15 fixed gates off the farm as well.

Members of the long distance caravan club apparently...so plod won't touch them.
__________________
havener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 18:21   #38
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Plymouth
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,693
Is it just me or do all these thefts keep coming back to one common denominator

And no, I don't mean "plod won't do anything"
__________________
Boats&Outboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 May 2011, 20:20   #39
Member
 
Country: Other
Town: Stanley, Falkland Is
Boat name: Seawolf
Make: Osprey Vipermax 5.8
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 150
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boats&Outboards View Post
Is it just me or do all these thefts keep coming back to one common denominator

And no, I don't mean "plod won't do anything"
Let me guess the denominator begins with a P and ends with something that nearly sounds like a Scandinavian furniture store?
__________________
A Boat is a hole in the water, surrounded by fibreglass, into which you throw money...

Sent from my Computer, using a keyboard and mouse
BogMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 May 2011, 01:57   #40
Member
 
Leapy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Sheepy Parva
Boat name: Sadly Sold
Length: no boat
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogMonster View Post
Let me guess the denominator begins with a P and ends with something that nearly sounds like a Scandinavian furniture store?
Is there a super-injunction out?
__________________

__________________
Leapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:38.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.