Just the console...

Steve
Old 29 July 2009, 20:37   #42

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
hey john, sorry i didn't get back on this thread until now.

Foam cores: All very well, makes a very light and strong panel however its not so great in compression down the line of the laminate unless your skins are really thick, which then defeats the object of having your foam core. Also, my experience is that its not as easy to work with as plywood. For this application, you may as well use plywood as it'll be stronger, easier to work with and probably cheaper with just a bit of extra weight.

As for extending the walls of the console...wasn't part of the reason for the box was to fit the the fuel tank underneath? Anyways, I think I may be difficult to do it, let alone do it with a strong join without a lot of reinforcing inside (I could be wrong, I've never actually done it). Remember that there will be some pretty high shock loads from wave impact going through the console walls under your ass both sideways and in-line with the walls (which will want to split and buckle the joint). It will however (if done right) look nicer than a box under your console.

If I was going to do it, I would stick with the box method but I would try and match the curves of the console or something. Would be a pain to do (plywood doesn't bend round tight corners so well) but I'm keen on detail After covering the outside is glass I would finish with filler (resin mixed with micro balls) and then coat with flo-coat using a medium density foam roller to give the "orange peel" effect.

I can't quite work out whether this post would have helped or not
Old 29 July 2009, 20:43   #43

Town: Liverpool
Length: 10m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim View Post
It will however (if done right) look nicer than a box under your console.
Old 29 July 2009, 20:44   #44

Town: Hamble
Length: 9m +
Quote:
(plywood doesn't bend round tight corners so well)
bendable plywood does!

http://www.google.com/search?q=benda...e=utf8&oe=utf8
Old 29 July 2009, 20:48   #45
JSP

Town: Southport
Boat name: Qudos
Make: 5.4 Searider
Engine: Yam 115 V4
MMSI: 235068784
Quote:
hey john, sorry i didn't get back on this thread until now.

Foam cores: All very well, makes a very light and strong panel however its not so great in compression down the line of the laminate unless your skins are really thick, which then defeats the object of having your foam core. Also, my experience is that its not as easy to work with as plywood. For this application, you may as well use plywood as it'll be stronger, easier to work with and probably cheaper with just a bit of extra weight.

As for extending the walls of the console...wasn't part of the reason for the box was to fit the the fuel tank underneath? Anyways, I think I may be difficult to do it, let alone do it with a strong join without a lot of reinforcing inside (I could be wrong, I've never actually done it). Remember that there will be some pretty high shock loads from wave impact going through the console walls under your ass both sideways and in-line with the walls (which will want to split and buckle the joint). It will however (if done right) look nicer than a box under your console.

If I was going to do it, I would stick with the box method but I would try and match the curves of the console or something. Would be a pain to do (plywood doesn't bend round tight corners so well) but I'm keen on detail After covering the outside is glass I would finish with filler (resin mixed with micro balls) and then coat with flo-coat using a medium density foam roller to give the "orange peel" effect.

I can't quite work out whether this post would have helped or not
Tim, thanks mate. If I was doing it myself I'd be building a box, and I'd over strengthen it because I don't trust anything I do (put a 50" Plasma on the wall 6 months ago and I still check the bracket every morning)
Feel better now Steve's doing it.
The tank can be held in like it is now, by brackets and straps.

Not then end of my fibreglass experience though. Still got to glass it to the deck and have plans for making my own jockey seat and battery box.....Anyone smell a thread?
Old 29 July 2009, 22:08   #46

Town: I.O.W/Switzerland
Boat name: HotShot
Make: shakey
Engine: 90hp Tohatsu TLDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
Ah yeah bendy plywood, is it actually any good? I've never used it so wasn't sure how tight a radius you could actually achieve.

Whoever carries out this conversion, be sure to post some pics! John, if it helps I got all my GRP stuff from http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/ . You can request their free guide which is very handy.