Old 03 November 2005, 09:32   #11

Town: Massachusetts
Boat name: Tibs
Make: RIBCRAFT
Length: 6m +
Engine: 150 HP O/B 4 stroke
Mooring

Hey Choppy,

I keep my RIB on a mooring most of the season as well. Most moorings have two pennants. (Chain not necessary in most areas)

One pennant clips to your bow eye using a stainless quick release shackle. The other pennant should be about 4 feet longer, depending on the size of your RIB. This pennant simply lies over the tube and attaches to the cleat on deck.

Good luck with the new RIB!

Old 03 November 2005, 15:22   #12

Boat name: Thalassa
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda 115 4 stroke
Sounds goood.

Old 03 November 2005, 15:30   #13

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibs
Hey Choppy,

I keep my RIB on a mooring most of the season as well. Most moorings have two pennants. (Chain not necessary in most areas)

One pennant clips to your bow eye using a stainless quick release shackle. The other pennant should be about 4 feet longer, depending on the size of your RIB. This pennant simply lies over the tube and attaches to the cleat on deck.

Good luck with the new RIB!
Don't forget to stick a wear patch on the tube where the mooring line touches/crosses, especially in areas where you get waves/current/tides, else you'll get abrasions on your nice shiny toobs!
Old 03 November 2005, 15:37   #14

couldnt u just put some kind of tape or something on the rope instead of the tubes?
Old 03 November 2005, 15:59   #15

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
A piece of hosepipe works quite well - just put stopper knots either end to stop it slipping.
Old 03 November 2005, 16:01   #16

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters
couldnt u just put some kind of tape or something on the rope instead of the tubes?
Nice idea, but you'd still mark your tubes. It doesn't have to look ugly, and whatever you do one side should be repeated on the other. You could double it up as a ribbed non-slip step for passengers boarding (although it's really never a good idea to step on the tubes too much, both for safety and wear reasons) Mine has coloured PVC "flashes" shaped and complimentary coloured to take care of rope wear. It'll really only be a problem if you got a lot of boat movement on your mooring.
Old 04 November 2005, 03:48   #17

Town: nr Lymington
Boat name: JU-JU
Make: Halmatic PAC22
Engine: 140.5 Mermaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hard1
Don't forget to stick a wear patch on the tube where the mooring line touches/crosses, especially in areas where you get waves/current/tides, else you'll get abrasions on your nice shiny toobs!
This is only an issue if the ropes are tight
if you leave the ropes loose and let the bow eye do the work then it isnít a problem
Incidentally if you do have to run a tight rope over the tube, putting the rope through a length of lay-flat hose is ideal and more flexible than hose pipe Des
Old 05 November 2005, 08:05   #18

Town: Massachusetts
Boat name: Tibs
Engine: 150 HP O/B 4 stroke
I agree Des. As long as the back-up line is loose, it won't mark up the tube. No worries. Don't hesitate to make it longer than you think you need. It's only a backup.

You most likely won't board the boat from the bow. And Hypalon is great, so don't worry about stepping on the tube when boarding. Just respect it.

Also, be sure to keep your tubes as hard as possible, always. Even in storage.
Old 05 November 2005, 08:56   #19

Quick question....say the boat is on a mooring and one day its like 70 degrees (farenhit) and the next day its 90 (Farenhit) and then the next day it goes back to 70 will i need to pump up the tubes because of the pressure relief valves? Thanks
Old 05 November 2005, 09:31   #20
DGR

Town: Barmouth
Boat name: Blue Marlin
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yanmar 315/Bravo 2X
MMSI: 235020218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopppywaters
Quick question....say the boat is on a mooring and one day its like 70 degrees (farenhit) and the next day its 90 (Farenhit) and then the next day it goes back to 70 will i need to pump up the tubes because of the pressure relief valves? Thanks
Possibly. If we have a spell of cooler weather, I will put some more air in the tubes. I'd rather have the PRVs and not worry when the sun comes out...(not very often just recently...)

My tubes are dark blue - sun on them makes a big difference.

D...

P.S. My mooring is two anchors on chain, going up to a mooring bouy with a swivel. Mooring chain comes off the top of the bouy, pick-up bouy attached with a rope to the mooring chain. Carabiner to secure the chain to the d-bolt, painter goes loosely through the mooring chain and back on board to the cleat on deck. Hand bouy rope also secured at cleat (loosely draped over tubes).