Old 30 November 2006, 03:41   #291
RIBnet supporter

Town: West Wittering
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I have also heard that about 1 year ago a boat carrying drugs was nicked coming into Littlehampton.
Yeah, I've heard about your parties at the Arun View
Old 30 November 2006, 03:48   #292
Trade member

Town: West Sussex
Boat name: Grey Mist
Make: Parker 800 Baltic
Length: 8m +
Engine: 2xMercury Diesel 170
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to Andre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauti Buoy View Post
Yeah, I've heard about your parties at the Arun View
You should come to one of them
next party New Year's Eve followed by a morning rib cruise to get rid of the hang over, that is if we will be up to it.

and plans have already been put in motion for the Xmas Bash 2007 (this time must get a date closer to Xmas hence early booking)

for those interested pls see www.pontoontalk.co.uk/forums
Andre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2006, 04:58   #293

Town: Mayfair, London
Make: RibEye/Ferretti 881
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 25/Twin MTU
This looks like a really great RIB, and everything written about it is very positive. Personally I think it looks fabulous.

However, is there anything about it at all that is negative? I know this thread hasn't been a comprehensive test write up, but it is always interesting to see if there are any areas that could be improved.
Old 30 November 2006, 05:16   #294
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw View Post
This looks like a really great RIB, and everything written about it is very positive. Personally I think it looks fabulous.

However, is there anything about it at all that is negative? I know this thread hasn't been a comprehensive test write up, but it is always interesting to see if there are any areas that could be improved.

Hi Tim

If there is anything negative I'm yet to find it. Cannot fault the handling of the Rib, the quality of the build is 1st Class, the engines are sublimely quiet and very responsive, returning 1.1l/mile per engine based on throttling constantly across huge seas. I have had quite a lot of various people look over it and all comment on what a superb quality fit out. Also taking into account the fact that we bought the Rib back through Force 6-7 from Calais, with nothing breaking or faulting, with 6 adults on board, is a good trial for any brand new boat.

The one thing I do have to be careful about is the throttle box, which is through no fault of Parker Ribs, and I belive there have been other comments on Ribnet ref this. Passengers have a habit of mistaking it for a grab handle when getting on board, so if you are sat there warming the engines up or in neutral waiting for a lock as I do you are best off keeping your hand on the throttle or switching the engines off, cos on two occasions now when I have been in neutral I have had a passenger sit on the jockey next to mine, lean on the throttle either with their hand or just caught it and pushed the rib into gear, and with 550hp purring on the back you really don't want that happening in a confined space!!!

There is a small ammount of resistance for the initial push into drive as well as a bit of travel before you get a major surge of power so you do have a small amount of reaction time to get them off of the throttles and back into neutral. But then that is a design fault of Mercury, when a simple lift up button under the throttles would solve that problem, or if they wanted to keep it all electric then an electronic button underneath you have to press to release the throttles.

Other than that it is a superb rib I am 100% happy with it, just wish it would stop raining so much so that I could go out and use it without getting drenched.

Old 30 November 2006, 06:38   #295

Quote:
Hi Tim

If there is anything negative I'm yet to find it. Cannot fault the handling of the Rib, the quality of the build is 1st Class, the engines are sublimely quiet and very responsive, returning 1.1l/mile per engine based on throttling constantly across huge seas. I have had quite a lot of various people look over it and all comment on what a superb quality fit out. Also taking into account the fact that we bought the Rib back through Force 6-7 from Calais, with nothing breaking or faulting, with 6 adults on board, is a good trial for any brand new boat.

The one thing I do have to be careful about is the throttle box, which is through no fault of Parker Ribs, and I belive there have been other comments on Ribnet ref this. Passengers have a habit of mistaking it for a grab handle when getting on board, so if you are sat there warming the engines up or in neutral waiting for a lock as I do you are best off keeping your hand on the throttle or switching the engines off, cos on two occasions now when I have been in neutral I have had a passenger sit on the jockey next to mine, lean on the throttle either with their hand or just caught it and pushed the rib into gear, and with 550hp purring on the back you really don't want that happening in a confined space!!!

There is a small ammount of resistance for the initial push into drive as well as a bit of travel before you get a major surge of power so you do have a small amount of reaction time to get them off of the throttles and back into neutral. But then that is a design fault of Mercury, when a simple lift up button under the throttles would solve that problem, or if they wanted to keep it all electric then an electronic button underneath you have to press to release the throttles.

Other than that it is a superb rib I am 100% happy with it, just wish it would stop raining so much so that I could go out and use it without getting drenched.

Same problem with the E Tec the consul mounted throttle control has no safety lever unlike a side mounted throttle control which I assume the designers expect to be more vulnerable to being caught or accidentally knocked because of its proximity absolute madness itís always been a worry of mine and the other thing is when the engine is turned of and you knock the control by accident not knowing youíve done it when you come to fire it up you spend the next ten minutes having a heart attack wondering why it wont start
Old 30 November 2006, 15:15   #296

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Bless !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
Watch out for that holy water; it can make you pregnant, but only if you are a virgin.
Hehehehe

Have you got an evidence base for that?

(Ta for kind comments Andre & Andy! Glad ye enjoyed the tale )

Old 30 November 2006, 16:23   #297
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
If there is The one thing I do have to be careful about is the throttle box, which is through no fault of Parker Ribs, and I belive there have been other comments on Ribnet ref this.
Richard, This probably goes with out saying - but be especially careful when recovering MoBs, skiers, etc then. It is very easy to bump a "non locked" throttle (although perhaps less so with the beam on your ship!) - especially if you or other crew have to help them in. The argument for killing the engines rather than leaving in neutral is much stronger in this case.
Old 04 December 2006, 03:33   #298

Town: Brittany/Portsmouth
Boat name: Merlin
Make: Solent 6.5
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200
MMSI: soon !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
. It is very easy to bump a "non locked" throttle (although perhaps less so with the beam on your ship!) - especially if you or other crew have to help them in. The argument for killing the engines rather than leaving in neutral is much stronger in this case.
The risk of having non-experienced crew in the vicinity of the throttles also came up in discussion. (Something we thought about when positioning our throttle centrally; easy to grab it for someone losing balance / crossing the boat.)

Kathleen
Old 08 December 2006, 10:41   #299
RIBnet supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What's this all about?
Here you go, sorry taken so long to take a pic for you. Eventually got round to doing it today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	23660  
Old 08 December 2006, 10:54   #300
RIBnet supporter

Lovely job done my

Master Cover in Port Solent, Consul Cover with huge Zip up the back fits very snug around the consul, plus Jockey Seat Cover which again fits super snug.

Also had shore power installed so won't suffer any flat batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0162.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	23661