Old 07 December 2002, 17:24   #1

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Pacific 22s

Phil thanks for the e mail, I have decided to reply in public as the information might be useful to others considering the switch to diesel.

Looked at a few Pacific 22s over the last six months and this is what I have found.

£8,500 buys a diesel rib with orginal tubes and the basic 145 hp engine, good for 26 knots. £10,000 buys a rib with new tubes and a refit. £12,500 buys a rib with a good trailer, tubes and probably an upgraded engine. The Turbo 4 is can be tuned to 180 hp easily and 200hp is possible which gives 30 knots. There are a few being refitted and sold by dealers but they carry a premium to reflect their desired profit. In addition there were a few for sale in Lymington during the summer for outrageous money.

HMS Sultan in Gosport have one (hull No 8205) as a training aid with holes cut in the hull. Avg thickness is a very solid 3/8th inch with massive foam re-inforcement for engine bearers and bulkheads. No idea how thick the bottom is but its solid. Huge underdeck space which I can actually crawl into on mine. Great for storeage and long range fuel tanks. Standard tanks is 20 gallons and they use about 6 gph which at 25p per gallon means its actually affordable. Fitting larger tanks should be a doddle as the decks can be unscrewed and bigger tanks fitted. The engine is quite simply a big ford 2722 and thats where I will be going for spares rather than marine outlets.

Although they weigh in at 1600 kgs mine tows very well on the four wheel trailer behind the disco. Its actually more stable than the ribtec on a two wheel trailer.

delighted with mine and am busy taking it to bits (as you do with a new toy) New "Alan P" type console being DIY moulded now and the pics follow in the new year if it works. Would love a second Pacific to fit a cabin top on. You should have no problems selling yours, but post a pic to help it.

We need a P22 club.